Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2017, 11:29 PM   #1
ABruce
Registered Member

Perplexed on lighting

I am not a new comer to salt water, but most of my experience was fish only and mixed tanks before the advent of led. I learned to loathe the heat and power consumption of the old metal halide. For the last three years my four foot by 2 foot tank was running a vertex Illumina. I loved the light. We had a power surge this summer and it expired. Parts appear to be unavailable.
The tank is now limping along on an under powered led.
This summer I purchased a second tank 48 by 30 inches.The goal is a coral dominated reef. It came with a Giesemann 48 inch fixture with 4 T 5 and 2 metal halides. The owner was moving and the ballast is lost in the shuffle so I dont have the light running.
I have read the Giesemann company make exceptional product but I am still worried about power consumption and heat. I have looked at the Kessel AP 700 but dont think I want the light up 24 inches for the ascetics of the room so probably would not get the coverage I desire.
I would appreciate anyone who could comment of the Giesemann power consumption, , possibly tell me how to identify the correct ballast for it, or offer advice on an LED light that would give the performance I need.
thanks

ABruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 06:43 AM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

There are many LED's which will work well for your set up. Specifically I suggest you look at fixtures with 120 degree lenses to get better coverage without having to mount them 24 inches above the surface. You're in the right place because there are many lighting gurus here.

Unread 12/07/2017, 08:15 AM   #3
LQT
Registered Member

Is your Giesemann fixture set up for single or double ended bulbs?

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 10:02 AM   #4
Cheapreef
Registered Member

How handy are you at DIY? You could retrofit a couple of Hydra 26's in pace of the MH if you want to save on the energy and bulb replacement costs. I run a 36" hybrid fixture with the AI 26's and really like it.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 06:25 PM   #5
Mark Bianco
In Memoriam

I second that I run 24" T5's with a Hydra 26

Mark Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 07:44 PM   #6
ABruce
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQT View Post
Is your Giesemann fixture set up for single or double ended bulbs?
Double ended

Unread 12/07/2017, 07:49 PM   #7
ABruce
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
How handy are you at DIY? You could retrofit a couple of Hydra 26's in pace of the MH if you want to save on the energy and bulb replacement costs. I run a 36" hybrid fixture with the AI 26's and really like it.
I am pretty handy.I have just glanced at a couple of web pages on the Hydra 26 and the idea seems awesome. I found one person running two on a 24 by 48 tank, so I am thinking I could go with two, and if I needed it I could add a third later. I also like the idea that if one fails I do not need to replace them all.

Unread 12/07/2017, 08:23 PM   #8
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABruce View Post
I am pretty handy.I have just glanced at a couple of web pages on the Hydra 26 and the idea seems awesome. I found one person running two on a 24 by 48 tank, so I am thinking I could go with two, and if I needed it I could add a third later. I also like the idea that if one fails I do not need to replace them all.
Yes and they are very slim and compact just be sure to have a spot open for the top fan. This is the one I did with some T5 Sunblasters and Alumabond.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting