Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/11/2018, 04:39 PM   #1
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

Pair lightning clowns

Hey guys, i have these two in their own 20g nuvo with macros n a few softies. Looks like no more fighting n they started to swim n hang together, one is bigger then the other but both are still pretty small. Any advice trying to get these guys tp spawn?

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 04:53 PM   #2
fijisrfr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznflyfisherman View Post
Hey guys, i have these two in their own 20g nuvo with macros n a few softies. Looks like no more fighting n they started to swim n hang together, one is bigger then the other but both are still pretty small. Any advice trying to get these guys tp spawn?

Yes, feed the crap out of them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fijisrfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 05:29 PM   #3
tdurden
Registered Member

Imo, they are still too young and small. It will take time.

Yes, you have to feed them a ton.
I have had the most success "spot feeding" my clowns. I turned all the pumps off and dropped one new life spectrum pellet at a time. The pellets float at first, but just poke them repeatedly with your finger until they drop slowly (or soak them first). Feed them until they try eat a pellet, spit it out, try eat it again, spit it out, etc. At that point, you can put the pumps back on and end the feeding session.
When I first started, they didn't really understand to wait for the next pellet, so the pellets just sank to the bottom. I did not want to pollute the water, so i had an acrylic rod i would use to push the food to the clowns, or swirl it back into the column. During my feedings, I would only waste 1-2 pellets max. It took my pairs only 3-4 days to realize what was happening, and they would swim looking up from their anemone as soon as the water stopped.
Yes it takes time and patience, especially in the beginning, but it is worth it in the end.

tdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 08:19 PM   #4
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

Thank you guys, my lighyltning is still very small anout 1 to 1.5 inches only, i been doing the same using the acrylic rods to push the pallets down, mine hasnt gone into the BTA or LTA yet.

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 06:01 PM   #5
davocean
Registered Member

Patience, I agree they look young, usually it's about a year and half from purchasing if you got them small.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote