Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/11/2018, 12:13 PM   #1
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

What type of algae is this?

Hello,

I've had an outbreak of some type of Algae in my holding tank which is an on going battle. I blow it of my corals daily syphon as much as I can and within 24hrs it's back in full bloom.

It's almost strangling my corals. They are stressed and do not fully open.

Any suggestions please.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdrsixuu3e...84931.mp4?dl=0

Unread 07/11/2018, 12:28 PM   #2
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Sorta looks like cyano. I know i have has it. Not sure how to fix it but i would suggest ramping up your flow a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram: Oshanickreef
oshanickreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2018, 12:48 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Thats not an algae..
Its Cyanobacteria

Unread 07/11/2018, 12:52 PM   #4
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Thats not an algae..
Its Cyanobacteria
Did have a suspicion it maybe that. What can I do to get rid of it??

Unread 07/11/2018, 01:07 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeprian View Post
Did have a suspicion it maybe that. What can I do to get rid of it??
Oh so many assumptions coming your way.. and a topic thats been beaten to death around here with little to no real facts out of all of it..

Many think its too little flow, elevated phosphate levels, an imbalance of nitrate/phosphate, excessive DOC levels,etc....
For some (myself included) its seasonal and tends to come in the fall and leaves on its own without any extra work..

I've had it from slight strands like you have to 2-3mm thick mats covering every surface of my tank before..

Of all the attempted solutions,etc... there are 2 that actually stand out besides siphoning it out and these have been shown to actually do something in nearly all cases..
1-Lights out.. A 3 day lights out period is often recommended and in most cases "helps".. Notice I didn't say solves the problem.. Corals can easily handle a 3 day lights out period without issue and as this bacteria seems to feed off light too it is almost always "stunted" from the lack of light and sometimes thats all it takes..
I have done this and its worked really well..

2-Chemical treatments.. Some hate them and a few have claimed serious problems from the usage of such chemicals but many have used them with good results without any negatives...
The top 2 are Chemiclean by Boyds and Red Slime Remover from Ultralife
I have used both.. and both work well when directions are followed exactly...

In the 15+ years of reefing I've had cyano probably 15 times.. When I didn't just let it happen/pass on its own (I actually think its performing a beneficial process so I like to let it do its thing until it starts to negatively effect livestock,etc.. via smothering,,) I have used both 1 and 2 above always with good results and always do a good siphon before and after to get out as much as possible..

Unread 07/11/2018, 01:26 PM   #6
Justintegra
Registered Member

Are we sure that's cyano? There's no matting of it on the sand bed or rocks. This looks a lot more like dino to me. I've never seen a cyano outbreak that didn't have at least a spot of carpeting on the sand bed or rockwork and was just stringy like that.

I vote dinos.

Justintegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2018, 01:51 PM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintegra View Post
Are we sure that's cyano? There's no matting of it on the sand bed or rocks. This looks a lot more like dino to me. I've never seen a cyano outbreak that didn't have at least a spot of carpeting on the sand bed or rockwork and was just stringy like that.

I vote dinos.
Notice further into the video (23 second mark or so) where he shows the circular frag plug left/back of the rack..
Sure looks like a mat of cyano there on that plug..
I assumed he has blown it off recently on the grid,etc... hence its only stringy there in most of the places.. Thats part of the problem with showing a video like that done not to long after "blowing" most of it away..

I still say cyano..
Not having the blue channel so high would also help as proper color rendition is also important in many identification requests and the tell tale "maroon" cyano is usually a dead give away.. So taking a picture with the blue channel down/off may be helpful in ensuring its cyano but it sure looks like it to me..

He can also use this method to tell the difference..
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2531708

Unread 07/11/2018, 02:56 PM   #8
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

It doesnt carpet. It is just stringy. I don't get it on the sand and it's not red like cyano tends to be.

Unread 07/11/2018, 03:17 PM   #9
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Thanks for the link. I will take a better bud tomorrow with blues turned down. I will also try that filtering idea.