Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/28/2020, 09:52 PM   #1
crvz
Team RC Member

Fertilize replanted Mangroves in a refugium?

TLDR; is there a good way to fertilize replanted mangroves in a refugium?

-----------

This is a bit of a cross post with one in the plants forum, but I am hoping to get more exposure. I have these mangroves that I've been growing in a refugium for about 5 years. They looked like this in the 20 gallon tank I had about 4 weeks ago.

I was really happy with them, so I think.. "hey, bigger tank! Maybe make some better room for tridacna clams!" I build a new tank, make the swap, but therein lies the drama. I scooped each tree out with a huge shovel's worth of sand to try to minimize disturbing the roots. But in the process, I find more than 1 eunicid worm. Bad news.

Since this was new intel, and I didn't know what I had found at the time, I didn't change my plan and replanted the trees. When I'm done, they look like this in the new tank.

Over the next few days, I research the worms, recognize them for some pretty nasty pests (reports of 8 foot long specimens are legendary in the hobby), and decided to scope out the tank for any more. I put a red light over night and slap the nest cam to scope the sand bed. within 1 night, I find this 20" long worm, and other areas that imply he's not alone.

So, for reasons, I decide to remove the sand beds entirely, sift through them, and mechanically remove all the terror worms. It was messy, and I found a total (between the first discovery and the sifting) of at least 4 worms, but since they split in pieces nicely it could have been more.

Now to the point. The trees were pretty well disturbed, and I've had problems in the past moving smaller mangroves, which is why I'd hope to avoid this. Now about a week later, the trees are starting to wilt. I have trimmed them in hopes of limiting some of the demand that the root have, but the sand bed has been pretty well scrubbed and I fear there's not near enough nutrients available for the size of the trees. Any recommendations on fertilizing or mangrove care at this point? Or recommendations on finding good resources on what's next? They are also excreting what I assume to be sap (white stuff).

Thanks for reading! I'd love any expert thoughts.

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
crvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2020, 06:37 PM   #2
Misled
RC Mod

Some companies used to sell "mud" to put in fuges. I haven't seen it in quite a few years. I don't know if I'd add anything else. Maybe some sand from a LSB or an old set-up. They need some nutrients but nothing too drastic. I don't know if you spray your leaves but that used to be recommended in the past. Just use RO/DI water. I wouldn't take them out though. Even if the leaves fall off, it may come back. You can cut a branch to see if the plant is still alive.

Unread 04/01/2020, 03:27 PM   #3
Monkeyfish
Registered Member

Not sure what's in the system now, but if you have corals do NOT add fertilizer. Nitrates/nitrites good for plants, but bad for everything else. If you have fish in with the trees, they'll add their own fertilizer if you feed them regularly

"One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not."

Current Tank Info: Taking a break
Monkeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote