Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/07/2017, 11:19 PM   #1
Taylorcz
Registered Member

Post Is My setup correct? - Newbie

Hey guys,

i'm new to the whole marine setup but i have been in love with reef systems since i was a kid. I have just purchased a 120L tank thats 60cm wide, 40 deep and 40 wide. I'm not wanting to rush into decisions as i want to do this properly and research all ideas and options as i have been over the last few months, hence why i'm here asking advice .

My goal at the moment is keep the tank simple and lowkey, not adding too much. I'm aiming to slowly add a cleaning crew - a shrimp + goby, snails etc. Then eventually a few soft, easier to keep corals.
My other, more desired option i am looking into is having only minimum to no corals and adding an anemone with 2 clownfish but sources have made me aware that this can be rather difficult.

What i'm wanting to know is keeping an anemone do-able in a smaller tank, or is there a type of one that may be more suitable?

Also, the light that this system has come with is a 25watt LED? it has 5 of the small actinic bulbs and the rest are white light. Will this be enough to do the job or is an upgrade required?

any advice is appreciated.

Taylorcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2017, 04:39 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Smaller tanks require more care as small changes can have larger effects on water parameters...
Your tank is large enough though for an anemone/clowns if you wish..
But your light won't be sufficient for the anemone.. Its "fish only" light (as they don't need light.. just for you to see/enjoy them)..

Unread 09/08/2017, 08:11 AM   #3
nereefpat
Registered Member

I agree on the light not being enough for anemones. Anemones need more light than a lot of corals do. If you want to go LED, look for something in the 150+ watt range.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone actinic lighting, beginner, lighting