Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/25/2016, 02:56 PM   #1
Salty150
Registered Member

Looking for/thinking about a DreamBox - which one?

I am looking for/thinking about a DreamBox - but have no idea what one I need.

It is for a Aqueon 150 gallon dual overflow aquarium.

I know I want:

Filter socks
Wet/dry filter set-up (like the Aqeoun ProFlex Sump Filtration below)
Skimmer
Carbon media reactor
GFO Media reactor
Probe holder
ATO holder – for float, etc. and water tube
Dosing lines
Place to put a MarinePure 8x8x4 block
Outlet pump for both returns
Piping for UV
Heaters?
ATO water reservoir
All plumbing

What set-up would you suggest?

Aqueon ProFlex Sump Filtration wet/dry filter (no bio-balls though! MarinePure ceramic balls instead):

Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2016, 02:59 PM   #2
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

Are you saying you want an aqueon sump or a royal exclusiv dreambox? Dreamboxes don't have wet/dry filters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 05/25/2016, 03:03 PM   #3
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownsRCoo View Post
Are you saying you want an aqueon sump or a royal exclusiv dreambox? Dreamboxes don't have wet/dry filters

I would like it if RE had something like the wet/dry to put in the DreamBox...

Or could build it so I could put the wet/dry part of the Aqueon into the DreamBox somehow...

Unread 05/25/2016, 03:07 PM   #4
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

Oh ok. Well I know they won't make custom sumps so I don't think that will be possible. They will modify slightly their already existing sumps like for me they added a few more slits cut in the rim to route cords through but they won't change anything drastic. Mainly due to the fact that the pieces are cut with a CNC machine and they would have to write a complete program from scratch for you which they won't do.

Wet/drys are not even used much in saltwater tanks anymore anyway. I wouldn't imagine that would be a deal breaker. No sump manufacturer includes that in their designs because basically nobody wants them. Except lifereef and all his stuff looks like it was designed 30 years ago so that's why.

Unread 05/25/2016, 03:12 PM   #5
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownsRCoo View Post
Oh ok. Well I know they won't make custom sumps so I don't think that will be possible. They will modify slightly their already existing sumps like for me they added a few more slits cut in the rim to route cords through but they won't change anything drastic. Mainly due to the fact that the pieces are cut with a CNC machine and they would have to write a complete program from scratch for you which they won't do.

Wet/drys are not even used much in saltwater tanks anymore anyway. I wouldn't imagine that would be a deal breaker. No sump manufacturer includes that in their designs because basically nobody wants them. Except lifereef and all his stuff looks like it was designed 30 years ago so that's why.

Well, although I do like the wet/dry part - it is more for additional filtration and water polishing that filter socks seem to invariably miss.

Unread 05/25/2016, 03:16 PM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty150 View Post
I would like it if RE had something like the wet/dry to put in the DreamBox...

Or could build it so I could put the wet/dry part of the Aqueon into the DreamBox somehow...

There are no Dreamboxes with wet dry filters as there is no demand for such a product. The list of dreambox sumps and options can be found in the link below. Keep in mind that presently, these are shipped from Germany. We will be stocking them in the US in the future but don't have an ETA on that. They will also likely include the skimmers and pumps initially which may not be to your liking due to costs but these are extremely high quality sumps made from a very high grade German PVC. Even the clear viewing panes and lids are a special PVC and not acrylic. The skimmers and pumps are also not like the typical Chinese stuff that is flooding the market and because they are hand made in Germany, the costs are reflective of the quality.

Here is a link to the various Dreamboxes including the complete Dreambox filter systems. The prices are listed in Euro. There is an 19% VAT that is included in that price. Essentially, by the time you remove the VAT and do the Euro to dollar conversion, the US cost is just slightly lower than the cost in Euro on the website. Shipping on the otherhand gets expensive as they crate these and it's usually a big pallet/crate that typically goes by air.
http://royalexclusiv.net/Dreamboxes:::103.html

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2016, 03:19 PM   #7
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

If you are dead set on using the marine pure balls you could always get a refugium a to add on to it and just use that for your marine pure media. The water doesn't have to trickle over them like a wet/dry. Those should remain under water and just have water flowing over/through them the entire time. I've heard of people filling their overflows with those balls too which maybe you can try.

Unread 05/25/2016, 03:20 PM   #8
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
There are no Dreamboxes with wet dry filters as there is no demand for such a product. The list of dreambox sumps and options can be found in the link below. Keep in mind that presently, these are shipped from Germany. We will be stocking them in the US in the future but don't have an ETA on that. They will also likely include the skimmers and pumps initially which may not be to your liking due to costs but these are extremely high quality sumps made from a very high grade German PVC. Even the clear viewing panes and lids are a special PVC and not acrylic. The skimmers and pumps are also not like the typical Chinese stuff that is flooding the market and because they are hand made in Germany, the costs are reflective of the quality.

Here is a link to the various Dreamboxes including the complete Dreambox filter systems. The prices are listed in Euro. There is an 19% VAT that is included in that price. Essentially, by the time you remove the VAT and do the Euro to dollar conversion, the US cost is just slightly lower than the cost in Euro on the website. Shipping on the otherhand gets expensive as they crate these and it's usually a big pallet/crate that typically goes by air.
http://royalexclusiv.net/Dreamboxes:::103.html
OK... so other than my wet/dry in the original post - what set-up do you suggest?

Unread 05/25/2016, 03:45 PM   #9
ArmanS
Registered Member

Salty, Choose the largest dreambox that fits into your stand! This way if you ever upgrade, you will not need to buy another dreambox!

Unread 05/25/2016, 04:56 PM   #10
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanS View Post
Salty, Choose the largest dreambox that fits into your stand! This way if you ever upgrade, you will not need to buy another dreambox!
+1.. I would suggest the largest model that will fit within your space. I would also suggest an RD3 80 pump, Double Cone 180 skimmer and a couple media reactors. Depending on the sump you choose, you may be limited on internal space for media reactors and the sump of your choice will certainly limit the reactor size choices. Given what you are after, I would suggest you look at the complete Dreambox systems as there is a discount for the bundle when the system includes, skimmer, pumps and other accessories.

As for UV plumbing, that is on you as that will have to be plumbed externally. The only plumbing that is included with the Dreamboxes is the plumbing for the components inside the Dreambox. The pumps will connect to the reactors and to the return union fittings on the outside of the sump.

FWIW, you really don't want a sump with a wet dry filter. If you have adequate live rock, there is no need for the bio balls and wet dry filters become detritus traps and nitrate factories anyways. Most modern reefs have gone away from wet dry systems for that reason.

The larger Dreambox filter systems with skimmers and pumps can be found here:
http://royalexclusiv.net/Dreamboxes/...::103_106.html

The smaller "Eco" Dreamboxe systems can be found here:
http://royalexclusiv.net/Dreamboxes/...::103_157.html

The Eco's are much smaller and because of that, you are much more limited in terms of adding reactors and such. You are also limited on inlet drain sizes. If it were me, I would go with the regular Dreambox over the Eco..

Skimmers can be sub'd for smaller ones so if the SM250 is listed, you can compare the skimmer costs on the website and determine how much less it will cost going from a Supermarin 200 to a Double Cone 180 as an example. Once you know exactly what you want as far as models and accessories, we can work on putting together a quote. Also keep in mind that there is a move coming up at the factory in Germany. As a result, the lead time will likely be 8 weeks or more unless there is a hole in the production schedule or one that fits your build on hand which is unlikely unless they have units that are slated for an upcoming US container shipment.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 05/25/2016, 08:29 PM   #11
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
+1.. I would suggest the largest model that will fit within your space. I would also suggest an RD3 80 pump, Double Cone 180 skimmer and a couple media reactors. Depending on the sump you choose, you may be limited on internal space for media reactors and the sump of your choice will certainly limit the reactor size choices. Given what you are after, I would suggest you look at the complete Dreambox systems as there is a discount for the bundle when the system includes, skimmer, pumps and other accessories.

As for UV plumbing, that is on you as that will have to be plumbed externally. The only plumbing that is included with the Dreamboxes is the plumbing for the components inside the Dreambox. The pumps will connect to the reactors and to the return union fittings on the outside of the sump.

FWIW, you really don't want a sump with a wet dry filter. If you have adequate live rock, there is no need for the bio balls and wet dry filters become detritus traps and nitrate factories anyways. Most modern reefs have gone away from wet dry systems for that reason.

The larger Dreambox filter systems with skimmers and pumps can be found here:
http://royalexclusiv.net/Dreamboxes/...::103_106.html

The smaller "Eco" Dreamboxe systems can be found here:
http://royalexclusiv.net/Dreamboxes/...::103_157.html

The Eco's are much smaller and because of that, you are much more limited in terms of adding reactors and such. You are also limited on inlet drain sizes. If it were me, I would go with the regular Dreambox over the Eco..

Skimmers can be sub'd for smaller ones so if the SM250 is listed, you can compare the skimmer costs on the website and determine how much less it will cost going from a Supermarin 200 to a Double Cone 180 as an example. Once you know exactly what you want as far as models and accessories, we can work on putting together a quote. Also keep in mind that there is a move coming up at the factory in Germany. As a result, the lead time will likely be 8 weeks or more unless there is a hole in the production schedule or one that fits your build on hand which is unlikely unless they have units that are slated for an upcoming US container shipment.
You realize you are pure evil, don't you?

You now have me looking at $3,000+ sumps...

Last edited by Salty150; 05/25/2016 at 08:41 PM.
Unread 05/25/2016, 11:36 PM   #12
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
You realize you are pure evil, don't you?

You now have me looking at $3,000+ sumps...
LOL... To say they are nice is an understatement. Having seen these first hand, I've never seen a sump that is as nice and well thought out as these. There is nothing in the market that even comes close. I also run a Bubble King Supermarin skimmer (bought through Premium Aquatics) and RD3 pumps on my system. All of which I paid for and would do it all over again given the quality. I've been in this hobby a long time and generally keep my equipment for many many years so for me, the investment I make in my system is a long term investment. When I say long term, I had my display custom built over 20 years ago. If the Dreamboxes would work under my system, I'd be running them. Unfortunately due to my tank setup and the doors below my tank, I had to build custom sumps to fit through the doors. This is fortunate for my pocket book though. While I love my sump and refugium design as I designed them myself and they work great, every time I see a Dreambox, I salivate! Unlike acrylic or glass sumps, the PVC & welded construction of the Dreamboxes means that they will literally last indefinitely without ever degrading or need to worry about crazing, deflecting or seam failures. I'm sure you've gone through the Dreambox owners thread and taken a look there and obviously looked trough the different sumps and pictures on the website. All I can tell you is that pictures don't do these sumps justice.

Unread 05/26/2016, 10:10 AM   #13
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
LOL... To say they are nice is an understatement. Having seen these first hand, I've never seen a sump that is as nice and well thought out as these. There is nothing in the market that even comes close. I also run a Bubble King Supermarin skimmer (bought through Premium Aquatics) and RD3 pumps on my system. All of which I paid for and would do it all over again given the quality. I've been in this hobby a long time and generally keep my equipment for many many years so for me, the investment I make in my system is a long term investment. When I say long term, I had my display custom built over 20 years ago. If the Dreamboxes would work under my system, I'd be running them. Unfortunately due to my tank setup and the doors below my tank, I had to build custom sumps to fit through the doors. This is fortunate for my pocket book though. While I love my sump and refugium design as I designed them myself and they work great, every time I see a Dreambox, I salivate! Unlike acrylic or glass sumps, the PVC & welded construction of the Dreamboxes means that they will literally last indefinitely without ever degrading or need to worry about crazing, deflecting or seam failures. I'm sure you've gone through the Dreambox owners thread and taken a look there and obviously looked trough the different sumps and pictures on the website. All I can tell you is that pictures don't do these sumps justice.
So, I assume the pricing of the units will be a little cheaper than currently on the website once they are stocked and sold in the U.S.?

Unread 05/26/2016, 10:38 AM   #14
Salty150
Registered Member

And, I assume the regular Dreambox isn't available to be made in the darker color PVC of the Eco Dreambox?

Unread 05/26/2016, 02:23 PM   #15
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
And, I assume the regular Dreambox isn't available to be made in the darker color PVC of the Eco Dreambox?
No... That said, the white is my favorite!