Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/14/2019, 12:53 PM   #1
djryan2000
Registered Member

Foxface rabbit fish alternatives?

I’m setting up a 40 gal (breeder) reef tank. I really like rabbit fish and think they’re awesome but obviously can’t put on in a tank that small. I think they look cool, I like how they eat algae, and think the spines for self defense are cool.

What are some alternatives for a 40 gal tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2019, 06:31 AM   #2
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

Yellow tang.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2019, 06:42 AM   #3
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Guthrie View Post
Yellow tang.

I thought yellow tangs needed at least 100 gallons?

Unread 10/15/2019, 07:01 PM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I have a yellow and a blue in a 60g, they were the last two adds, were QT together and put in the DT at same time. The yellow was 2" and the blue was 1".

They share the DT with an Anthais, a Gramma, a mandarin and a mated pair of black clowns.

The only issue I will face sometime in the future is increasing tank size.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2019, 07:20 PM   #5
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
I have a yellow and a blue in a 60g, they were the last two adds, were QT together and put in the DT at same time. The yellow was 2" and the blue was 1".

They share the DT with an Anthais, a Gramma, a mandarin and a mated pair of black clowns.

The only issue I will face sometime in the future is increasing tank size.

That’s the issue - I cant increase the tank size. Otherwise I’d definitely be throwing in a blue tang and a Rabbitfish. Shame I can’t get a bigger system.

Unread 10/15/2019, 10:36 PM   #6
Myles
Registered Member

If you are looking for algae control emerald crabs, urchins, and snails work well in smaller tanks. Depending on the types of coral you are keeping blennies are a possible alternative.
Myles

Unread 10/16/2019, 06:09 AM   #7
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
If you are looking for algae control emerald crabs, urchins, and snails work well in smaller tanks. Depending on the types of coral you are keeping blennies are a possible alternative.

Myles

I’m mainly looking for aesthetics over their algae control.

Unread 10/16/2019, 02:45 PM   #8
hkgar
Registered Member

Yellow Tang 100 gallon
Blue (assuming a Blue Hippo) 240 gallon
Here is a guide

The issue for tangs is more about swimming room (length of tank) and less about volume.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2019, 05:57 PM   #9
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

I have a yellow tang and a Kole's tang in a 90. They seem healthy and happy. Neither is my original fish but I've only replaced them once in 21 years. Pygmy angels OTOH (smaller fish) seem to live only 6 years.
IIRC these were the smallest eventual-size tangs available to me at the LFSs. Although they are both called tangs their food niches are very different and they don't compete with each other.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2019, 08:06 PM   #10
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

Maybe a flameback or cherub angel? Both have more blue that yellow, but have that flat shape like rabbit fish or tangs. They are also herbivores. I had a cherub for over 7 years in a 30g and it was happy with the space. It liked to move in between the rock work, so it made much better use of the space than a fish that just swims end to end. This behavior is one of the things I like about the dwarf angels.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump, ocelaris clownfish (20+yrs old), flame hawk, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, Bicolor Blenny, Coral Beauty;30g sumpless with Spotcinctus pair
Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote