Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/01/2012, 01:11 PM   #1
javimarino
Registered Member

torn between...

Hi torn between a 6 foot 125 gallon tank or a 4 foot 120 gallon tank, for my next tank. I started in the hobby about 2 1/2 year with a 20 gallon high, witch was the tank I owned at the time, just to be freshwater tank. After a year or so I upgraded to the 40 breeder witch I currently have. At the time I knew that was the tank I wanted, no doubt about it, but know I feel like I need more space. I have large colonies of softies, lps and newly acquire a dozen of sps frags. Felt in love with the new addition and I need the space for them to grow and strive.

What can you suggest me? What are the pros and cons of each? Is there another tank I should look at? thanks in advance!

javimarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2012, 01:24 PM   #2
RiddleEagle18
Registered Member

I have a 6' 125. I got it because I wanted tangs. I wish I wouldve gone with a 150/180 because of the depth.

The 125 is so skinny it becomes difficult to aquascape. If i could do it again I wouldve gone 120 or 150.

RiddleEagle18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Donkeykong
Registered Member

DO you like depth(front to back) or width? The 120 is goinig to let you do some real interesting things with the aquascaping since it will be so deep and give you really cool views from all three sides. The 125 is going to give you one long viewing area, with a more limited side views. If I had the space I would go with the 6 footer as I like to see the fish swim

Donkeykong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Hydronic
Registered Member

first thing that came to mind when I upgraded from my 75 gallon was budget. The bigger the tank the more $$$ to fill it. Not only $$$ for fish and corals but equipment to. Bigger skimmers, more lights, bigger sump/pumps. water changes. you get the point.

What fish do you want to keep in the tank? triggers/blue tangs, those will be happier in the 6' tank. the space its going in? Does the 6' over power the room? or does it look right? I personally went for the 120 gallon because of my space, and I really loved the depth (2') over length.

What ever you choose I'm sure you will be Very Very happy with it. Good luck

Hydronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2012, 01:27 PM   #5
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

You want to go with a tank with more depth. More room to awuascape. More room for fish to swim indifferent directions, not just back and forth.

My current tank is 30" in depth and I'm thinking of upgrading to a tank with a 48" depth. My current tank is also 7' long and I find my self standing on the end looking down the length of the tank. It's an awsome view.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2012, 01:42 PM   #6
planedoc
Registered Member

I have a tank that is 31 inches high. I hate it because I can not reach the bottom. 24 inch height is as far I will ever go again unless I win the lotto and build my dream tank. I'll be scuba diving in that one. As far as width goes as wide and as long as you can. Tangs like 8 foot length and the wider the better you can landscape.

planedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2012, 01:48 PM   #7
Hydronic
Registered Member

I added a picture of my 120 gallon. front and side view 4' x 2' x 2'

front view
[IMG]http://i46.*******.com/akdb0m.jpg[/IMG]

Side view
[IMG]http://i47.*******.com/25qd3e8.jpg[/IMG]

Unread 08/01/2012, 02:22 PM   #8
javimarino
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a 6' 125. I got it because I wanted tangs. I wish I wouldve gone with a 150/180 because of the depth.

The 125 is so skinny it becomes difficult to aquascape. If i could do it again I wouldve gone 120 or 150.

Quote:
DO you like depth(front to back) or width? The 120 is goinig to let you do some real interesting things with the aquascaping since it will be so deep and give you really cool views from all three sides. The 125 is going to give you one long viewing area, with a more limited side views. If I had the space I would go with the 6 footer as I like to see the fish swim
Quote:
You want to go with a tank with more depth. More room to awuascape. More room for fish to swim indifferent directions, not just back and forth.
Well, thats something I like of the 40 breeder, the width. definitely something to consider.

Quote:
first thing that came to mind when I upgraded from my 75 gallon was budget. The bigger the tank the more $$$ to fill it. Not only $$$ for fish and corals but equipment to. Bigger skimmers, more lights, bigger sump/pumps. water changes. you get the point.
yes, you are rig th. but beside the lamp, in witch the 6' should be more expensive, I don't thinks there should be a big difference between the two, in terms of $$$ expense.

Quote:
What fish do you want to keep in the tank? triggers/blue tangs, those will be happier in the 6' tank. the space its going in? Does the 6' over power the room? or does it look right? I personally went for the 120 gallon because of my space, and I really loved the depth (2') over length.
I think I'm more into aquascaping and coral, than maintaining a specific type of fish

[QUOTE][What ever you choose I'm sure you will be Very Very happy with it. Good luck

/QUOTE] I really hope so!

Unread 08/01/2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Khemul
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddleEagle18 View Post

A 150 and a 125 have the same footprint. The 150 is just taller.

It is the 180/210 tanks that have the depth.

The key is height/width vs length. Personally when I had to make the decision I ended up with the 120 because it was cheaper and easier to transport.

The main things to consider though, how do you like to aquascape? Then think of which dimensions work best. I tend to go either flat or sloping stack, so I go for the widest footprint. But a lot of people build straight up or build a wall, in which case width isn't as important and length of the tank could be a better quality.

Next would be the fish you want to keep. If it is mostly fish that prefer distance swimming then length will be the best factor. Most other fish probably won't care which tank they're in really.

And aesthetics also. You have to live with it. Personally I prefer longer/shorter tanks from a looks perspective, but wider tanks just suite my needs better. Which is why if I set up another large tank in the future it'll be a 180.

Khemul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2012, 02:42 PM   #10
rrasco
Registered Member

6 foot tanks rock, especially if you want to keep bigger fish, i.e. tangs. However, the 18" depth annoys me on my 125 and 150 (they are FW so not that big of a deal). I had a 210 (6 foot + 2 foot depth is even better) that broke and replaced it with a 105 (48x24x21) so I got the depth and a little of my real estate in my house back. Only downfall is I can't really plan to keep any tangs in there long-term but other than that, it's just the right size. It's comparable to the 120, I looked at the marineland(?) 120s with the dual overflows before I decided to go with a DSA 105 rimless.

Unread 08/01/2012, 02:51 PM   #11
Tank14
Registered Member

I had the same question when deciding on my tank upgrade. I went with a 120 because of the depth. Gives me greater options for aquascaping.

"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." - Oscar Wilde

Current Tank Info: 4'x2'x2' 120gallon mixed reef, 2x Radion Gen2. 40g breeder sump, oct-xs 200 skimmer
Tank14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2012, 03:05 PM   #12
KCombs
They Call me "RifRaf"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddleEagle18 View Post

my thoughts exactly....
I've had a few 125's before, not sure I care for the geometry or the limits in Aquascaping...heck I like the 90/110/120 series better

in fact soon as I can I'm going to upgrad my 90 to a 72" 150/180

Quote:
A 150 and a 125 have the same footprint. The 150 is just taller.
true but there is also a 48" 150 .....FWIW we got a 48" 150 now and I prefer it over a 6' 125

The beatings will continue until moral improves

Current Tank Info: 90G reef, 150G FOWLR
KCombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2012, 03:07 PM   #13
ruiny
Registered Member

I had a 150 and hated it, (same footprint) but loved my 180.

If the 6 feet long of the 125 is ok and the 2 feet wide of the 120 is ok than a 180 is double ok.
It will cost a bit more to set up. But if stocked the same as the smaller tanks not much more. And it will be alot nice than either.
I have had a 75, 180, 280, 150, 93cube in that order.
My favorite was the 180 by far.

But if you must choose than the 120 gets my vote.

Current Tank Info: 93 mixed reef
ruiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2012, 08:20 PM   #14
javimarino
Registered Member

Quote:
planedoc I have a tank that is 31 inches high. I hate it because I can not reach the bottom. 24 inch height is as far I will ever go again unless I win the lotto and build my dream tank. I'll be scuba diving in that one. As far as width goes as wide and as long as you can. Tangs like 8 foot length and the wider the better you can landscape.
I'm with you on the heigth, I like to reach the bottom of the tank, especially to clean the edges of the glass and fishes arent helichopter, so not a fan of tall tanks. And I hope to one day see your pic, scubadiving on your tank-

Quote:
I added a picture of my 120 gallon. front and side view 4' x 2' x 2'
Thats a nice tank, almost got me sold already!

Quote:
Personally when I had to make the decision I ended up with the 120 because it was cheaper and easier to transport.
Another good reason, I almost all the way sold on the 120...

Quote:
I had a 210 (6 foot + 2 foot depth is even better) that broke and replaced it with a 105 (48x24x21) so I got the depth and a little of my real estate in my house back.
Quote:
I had a 150 and hated it, (same footprint) but loved my 180.
210/180 sound awesome, but I have the tank on my office at work (no electricty cost and I use the ro/di drinking water of the office) I know I can get away with the 120/125. Theres no way I'll get away with a 210/180

Unread 08/01/2012, 08:33 PM   #15
javimarino
Registered Member

Torn between... Part 2

Thanks you all for your respond. I'm amaze with the info here. I Think we have a winner. And the winner is...............4' 120 gallons

Now I'll try to use this thread for my next indecision: bare bottom or shallow sand bed ( not fan of the deepsand bed). Please again inlude pros and cons, what to watch for or have in cosideration with each decision.

You can continue with the previous discusion as well. Thanks again in advance

Unread 08/01/2012, 08:35 PM   #16
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Get a 120 if the 180 isn't going to work and youj're not set on getting any certain tangs or larger fish.

Peter Eichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2012, 08:46 PM   #17
javimarino
Registered Member

Thanks peter, to tell you the truth, you guys got me thinking on the 180. I still think is a long shot but I'm going to study the posibility. Its sound like the 180 offer the best of both world, if it's posible 120 will be it.

What are your thougth on the substrate? Currently have a very shallow sand bed, is ok I guess, it give it a natural/marine look. But I'm thinking on going BB for this one.

Unread 08/01/2012, 10:39 PM   #18
OregonReefer2
Registered Member

Get the best of both worlds... Go with a 5'x24"x24" 150 gallon.

You can basically use all of the same equipment you would in a 120, you have the width and an extra 12" of tank for length

OregonReefer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2012, 10:57 PM   #19
mtcoins123
Far From Average

I would only say to keep around 24 inches high so its comfortable to work in and choose the other dimensions acording to what you intend to stock it with

Current Tank Info: The power company has put the replacement meter bearings on hold until someone else hooks it up :D
mtcoins123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2012, 08:43 AM   #20
freeswimmingfis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonReefer2 View Post
Get the best of both worlds... Go with a 5'x24"x24" 150 gallon.

You can basically use all of the same equipment you would in a 120, you have the width and an extra 12" of tank for length
Thats what I have, 5'x24"x24" 150 gallon... LOVE IT!

Last edited by freeswimmingfis; 08/02/2012 at 09:01 AM.
freeswimmingfis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2012, 10:40 AM   #21
ruiny
Registered Member

I say shallow sand bed. There are some nice bare bottoms, but a reef needs sand if you ask me.
It isn't without it's challenges though, mostly keeping it clean and on the bottom on the tank. But it will also allow for some very interesting fish, like jawfish, scotters, some blennies, also some wrasses and many inverts like sand stars, naus snails and cucs.

I think a bare bottom is only for ultra high flow all sps tanks that are going to the sterile look. (which can be nice)

Current Tank Info: 93 mixed reef
ruiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2012, 09:54 PM   #22
00Warpig00
Registered Member

Get the BIGGEST tank you have room/money for in the footprint you decide on. If you want a few tangs I would go with a 6 foot tank. If you go with a 6 foot tank I would go with the biggest 6 foot tank I could afford and fit in the space available. If you are looking at a 6 foot 150... Why not a 6 foot 180 or a 6 foot 210 etc. Really the space is the biggest factor imo. I mean we all know this is an expensive hobby so why not a bit extra money on the biggest tank that will fit the space.

Nick

Current Tank Info: 180G FOWLR Established 10/2010
00Warpig00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2012, 10:22 PM   #23
CoralReeferGal
Registered Member

Totally just convinced me to upgrade to a 120 instead of a 90 LOL! Already checked all equipment, only thing Wed need to upgrade is the filter... UV sterilizer, Skimmer, overflow box and MH light will fit a 120

Unread 08/02/2012, 10:31 PM   #24
Hydronic
Registered Member

Do yourself a huge favor. Save the money by going to a 120 gallon but make sure you buy a predrilled tank