Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/09/2017, 04:46 PM   #1
Dj.dale
Registered Member

Reef Octopus External skimmer

Does anyone have a external skimmer ? I want one but it won’t fit under my stand so I want to put it just on the outside of the stand and wondering do anyone know how loud it is ? My tank is in the living room along a wall and don’t want to hear a loud pump .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dj.dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 12:33 PM   #2
Dj.dale
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj.dale View Post
Does anyone have a external skimmer ? I want one but it won’t fit under my stand so I want to put it just on the outside of the stand and wondering do anyone know how loud it is ? My tank is in the living room along a wall and don’t want to hear a loud pump .

Hmm guess no one wants to respond

Unread 11/10/2017, 03:24 PM   #3
Leopardshark
Registered Member

I have the HOB 1000 octopus skimmer. Just ran it 2 weeks but I think it makes a decent job, but it is advertised for up to 800 l (200 gal) and I wouldn´t use it in a tank bigger than 70 gal.
regards

Current Tank Info: 110 gal SPS tank, 3 G4 Pro Radions, Geo 618 calcium reactor, 2 x MP 40 Vortech, Vectra M return pump, Octopus Elite 200-int skimmer, APEX controller
Leopardshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 03:44 PM   #4
Dj.dale
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopardshark View Post
I have the HOB 1000 octopus skimmer. Just ran it 2 weeks but I think it makes a decent job, but it is advertised for up to 800 l (200 gal) and I wouldn´t use it in a tank bigger than 70 gal.
regards

Thanks I like to hear from someone that has a external skimmer like a 5000 or 6000 external skimmer noise

Unread 11/10/2017, 04:14 PM   #5
Mark Bianco
In Memoriam

When I had my big tank I ran an SRO 6000 EXT it was outside my sump but in the basement and my display tank was upstairs. It wasnt unbearable but nothing I would put in my living room. I am very irritated by pump / skimmer noise. Dont get me wrong its not as loud as some and it did an awesome job...

Mark Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 04:29 PM   #6
Cheapreef
Registered Member

If your looking for quiet I would look into a DC pump driven skimmer, I had a CoralBox DC skimmer couldn't hear anything from the skimmer other than the air inlet. I currently run a Reef Octopus internal and it's very quiet as well, but not like the DC driven skimmer was.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 06:33 AM   #7
desjardinii
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks I like to hear from someone that has a external skimmer like a 5000 or 6000 external skimmer noise

I ran a 5000ext in the living room but housed it in it's own cabinet so noise wasn't an issue. The pump itself was very quiet but it drew a lot of air which was noticeable and created a bit of a rumble, it was a fairly large skimmer. Now have scaled down to an SRO 3000 int to gain back some floor space and it's quieter.

desjardinii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 07:10 AM   #8
Dj.dale
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desjardinii View Post
I ran a 5000ext in the living room but housed it in it's own cabinet so noise wasn't an issue. The pump itself was very quiet but it drew a lot of air which was noticeable and created a bit of a rumble, it was a fairly large skimmer. Now have scaled down to an SRO 3000 int to gain back some floor space and it's quieter.

Thank you for replying !! So that’s what I am thinking of doing is making a cabinet of some sort . How did you or where did you buy and how did you get it to work with the plumbing to cover up the skimmer?

Unread 11/11/2017, 12:50 PM   #9
Dj.dale
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
If your looking for quiet I would look into a DC pump driven skimmer, I had a CoralBox DC skimmer couldn't hear anything from the skimmer other than the air inlet. I currently run a Reef Octopus internal and it's very quiet as well, but not like the DC driven skimmer was.

Yeah the Reef Octopus Regal are DC pumps but man so much more expensive

Unread 11/11/2017, 04:58 PM   #10
desjardinii
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you for replying !! So that’s what I am thinking of doing is making a cabinet of some sort . How did you or where did you buy and how did you get it to work with the plumbing to cover up the skimmer?

Hi I used a DIY flat-pack kitchen cabinet, it was the perfect height and being melamine could take a splash and was easy to keep clean. The plumbing to the sump was through holes I cut in the back panel. Here's a pic before I'd put the door on:

Unread 11/11/2017, 05:30 PM   #11
Dj.dale
Registered Member

What about the top ? How did you clean the cup ? I’m gonna get a auto neck cleaner

Unread 11/11/2017, 06:15 PM   #12
desjardinii
Registered Member

For cup access I made a removable timber bench top that just sat in place, had about an inch clearance above the cup lid.