Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/02/2013, 07:58 PM   #1251
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi4u View Post
Nice assortment of fish. Beautiful tank. Watching those videos is such a treat. thanks
Your member name is making me hungry. How about a couple of spicy tuna hand rolls?

Thank you very much for the compliments. I hope Mr. Medina will be out shortly for a few more videos.

Happy New Year!

Unread 01/02/2013, 08:02 PM   #1252
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt3058 View Post
Hey awesome tank you have inspired me to upgrade my future plans from a square 240 to a larger 600g tank. Whats your stocking list for inside the tank right now?
Without sounding ignorant, I don't really know. It's time for me to sit down in my living room and do a good count. I know I have 30 some tangs, but I also have a lot of small gobies, chromis and blennies, swimming or hiding around.

I am glad that I have been able to be of some inspiration. What part of the country are you in? If you are going to go with that large of a tank, I would highly recommend A.G.E.

Happy New Year!

Unread 01/02/2013, 08:06 PM   #1253
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeAZ100 View Post
Danfeig, Im in Gilbert AZ, do you know of any clubs in the phoenix area? Im just getting back into the hobby, it would certainly be worth the drive to check out your system, as im in the process of building a fish room right now myself. Im getting ready to run the power for it all today.
Duke. I am not aware of who you'd speak with, but, I would call some of the LFS in Phoenix/Tempe. There is also a good Arizona forum (FRAG) here on Reef Central.

Let me know when you are going to be in Tucson. I'd be happy to show you my system!

Unread 01/02/2013, 08:09 PM   #1254
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnanmadi View Post
Unbelievable It is an amazing tank looks huge comparing to my 65g RSM

I wonder though what do you do for water changes?
Thanks adnanmadi!

I usually change out 75-150 gallons per week. Once a month I do a 200 gallon change. I am do for that this weekend as I have been away from home the last 10 days.

Unread 01/02/2013, 08:18 PM   #1255
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Adnan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfeig View Post
Thanks adnanmadi!

I usually change out 75-150 gallons per week. Once a month I do a 200 gallon change. I am do for that this weekend as I have been away from home the last 10 days.
Where do you get most of your corals and supplies?

I was in Israel over the summer and found the LFS there to be lacking. I didn't go into Gaza or the West Bank... I thought that the stores would be full of wonderful fish and corals from the Red Sea...

Unread 01/03/2013, 02:30 AM   #1256
Oldude
Premium Member

Love your tank and set up but I have a question.
I am curious about your reasoning behind the alk being at 12 DKH. It is obviously working for you and is within tolerences but I wouldn't think it gives you a lot of wiggle room being as high as it is.
As stated love your tank but I was just wondering about this, thanks.

~ April 2010 TOTM ~
Oldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2013, 11:48 AM   #1257
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldude View Post
Love your tank and set up but I have a question.
I am curious about your reasoning behind the alk being at 12 DKH. It is obviously working for you and is within tolerences but I wouldn't think it gives you a lot of wiggle room being as high as it is.
As stated love your tank but I was just wondering about this, thanks.
Oldude...

I am completely honored to receive your compliments and inquiries. Your tank build was one of the first that I followed when joining the Reef Central Community.

I am assuming that you are responding to my response to Osteoclast last week. Ideally, I like to keep my Alk between 10-11dkh. I am pretty anal and check my Alk with two different solutions. One is always a tiny bit higher or lower than the other. I had made new solution before I left for vacation and it was reported to me that it was around 12. I dialed down my dosing and this morning I am back to 11.

I will be doing a 200 gallon water change tomorrow and it should be back to normal.

Thank you again!

Unread 01/03/2013, 02:56 PM   #1258
techreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Oldude...

I will be doing a 200 gallon water change tomorrow and it should be back to normal.
LOL!! Dan, you're tank is awesome and you've been so much help to RC with this thread. One day I want to offhandedly mention that I'm running a 200G water change.

Looking forward to more fish room videos. You're starting to change my mind about tall tanks. Never thought I'd want taller than my arm length!

techreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2013, 03:49 PM   #1259
vel123
Registered Member

Dan your tank is amazing, im still working on my 400 i just hope mine turns out half as good as yours, i will be happy.

vel123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2013, 12:21 AM   #1260
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by techreef View Post
LOL!! Dan, you're tank is awesome and you've been so much help to RC with this thread. One day I want to offhandedly mention that I'm running a 200G water change.

Looking forward to more fish room videos. You're starting to change my mind about tall tanks. Never thought I'd want taller than my arm length!
Thanks tech reef!

I appreciate all of the kind words. We came home late last night from being gone for 11 days. Tomorrow is going to be a big day. I need to do the water change, clean my skimmer (it needs it after a few weeks) and then.... a special FED EX FRIDAY.

After going deep, I do't think I could ever change.

Unread 01/04/2013, 12:25 AM   #1261
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vel123 View Post
Dan your tank is amazing, im still working on my 400 i just hope mine turns out half as good as yours, i will be happy.
Thanks vel123.

Take your time and enjoy every minute of it. My tank isn't still where I want it to be, but it is slowly getting there. I appreciate your kind words.

Unread 01/04/2013, 02:20 AM   #1262
Oldude
Premium Member

Quote:
Oldude...

I am completely honored to receive your compliments and inquiries. Your tank build was one of the first that I followed when joining the Reef Central Community.

I am assuming that you are responding to my response to Osteoclast last week. Ideally, I like to keep my Alk between 10-11dkh. I am pretty anal and check my Alk with two different solutions. One is always a tiny bit higher or lower than the other. I had made new solution before I left for vacation and it was reported to me that it was around 12. I dialed down my dosing and this morning I am back to 11.

Thank you again!
Thanks for following my tank build and believe it or not the thread is still going so don't be afraid to stop by & say hello.

Thanks for your reply. Getting solutions to always be consistant can be tricky and I go through the same scenario at times.

~ April 2010 TOTM ~
Oldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2013, 10:46 PM   #1263
danfeig
RC Sponsor

FedEx Friday! World Wide Coral style

So one of the deals that I made with my wife and kids last week... I'd take them to all the parks at Disney World and Universal Studios - provided, they would come with me to World Wide Corals and some of the other LFS while in Orlando.

Newbie Aquarist (Wayne, Leroy or Reefing is my middle name) and David00061 were both customers and spoke very highly of them. David00061 introduced me to Victor from World Wide Corals at MACNA this past year.

My experience at World Wide Corals was nothing less than outstanding and exceeded any expectations that I had.

First off, when I walked into the store with my wife and kids, we were immediately greeted by friendly staff. A few minutes later, Victor came out to say hello and assist us. This is the first LFS that I have gone into with my wife where she did not complain about the "fish" smell. There was no odor from skimmers, stale water or fish. The place smelled absolutely fresh and clean.

Before I was through looking at the display tank, the most remarkable thing happened. My son came up to me and said, "You're not going to believe this, mom found a coral she likes!" A minute later my daughter found some fish that she liked and then again, my wife found another coral she liked. What is a man to do? This all took place while I was still looking at the display tanks!

Time was limited as we were flying home that afternoon (Wednesday), so I took a bunch of pictures of corals that I liked and told Victor that I would email him with everything I was interested in. Fortunately or unfortunately I was interested in a lot! Victor had some of the nicest acan colonies that I have ever seen.

I didn't waste anytime. Our flight home had internet available and I emailed Victor. The next morning, yesterday, I had a response from Victor when I got into the office. Needless to say, he was very accommodating and thus todays special FedEx Friday.

The pictures are all from my iPhone so they really don't give the corals justice.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the first coral that my wife really liked. A beautiful Dendrophyllia coral that is about 6"x6". I can't wait for it to open up!

[IMG][/IMG]

These are the fish that my daughter loved. A beautiful and unusual pair of Domino Clownfish. Victor has had them for over a year. They are gorgeous!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

This picture does not give the following the slightest bit of justice. It is the largest Acan colony I have ever seen! It is "L" shaped and a good 15"x12". It is hard to tell the colors by the photo. It is orange, blue, purple and green.

[IMG][/IMG]

The next picture was another coral that my wife loved. It is a pinkish/orange flowerpot or Goniopora coral. It's just starting to open up.

[IMG][/IMG]

I fell in love with the attached Symphyllia Coral as soon as I saw it. It is a beautiful green and purple striped coral.

[IMG][/IMG]

Lastly, was a beautiful mushroom rock with bright green mushrooms. I am hoping tomorrow that it will all be opened.

[IMG][/IMG]

I need to add one last thing about World Wide Corals that was incredibly impressive. I have ordered thousands of dollars worth of corals, fish and equipment online, from several different vendors. Tonight, I received a call from Victor and his partner making sure that my order arrived okay and that I was satisfied with everything. I couldn't believe it! What incredible customer service and gratitude. It has never happened before with any of my other orders.

I hope to be able to have Griffin come out and take some better pictures for you shortly.

Unread 01/04/2013, 10:55 PM   #1264
dca22anderson
Registered Member

Great additions Dan! ;-) Your tank is rockin'!!!

dca22anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2013, 01:32 AM   #1265
dotcommer
Registered Member

Those additions look amazing. Its great to have the wife pick out something she likes. Makes them feel more involved.

If you are ever down in Phoenix, there is a guy that sells corals out of his house. He imports them from Thailand and Australia and he gets some gorgeous pieces. The best thing is NO FRAGS. They are all large pieces at some amazing prices.

He can also email you pics of his stuff. If you want his number let me know.

Current Tank Info: Redsea Max 250 Mixed Reef, 125 Gal FOWLR, 90 Gal Mixed Reef, 30 Gal Fresh Water
dotcommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2013, 05:06 AM   #1266
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Those guys at WWC are on their game. In the beginning I thought just the Large Reef Tank viewers only knew of my build. After being greeted when I entered the store a couple of the employees were like ,"Aren't you that guy with that large tank build, something like 8 feet long and around 500 gallons?" I was totally in awe. It was even better when they didn't try to push product on me towards my build. I still ended up spending a few bills there but I was shocked and impressed. I wish I knew what time you were going and I would have driven up and met you. Guess I'll see you at MACNA.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2013, 08:11 AM   #1267
pgaudreau
Registered Member

Dan Nice big pieces, one of the guys that wholesales directly to them is local here in fort lauderdale, he is getting a large shipment of Australian in the next couple weeks. His pieces are just like that large and beautiful and he wholesales them to lfs that usually frag them. When he gets his shipment in I will go pick up some pieces and and send you pictures of anything of size for your aquarium condo. If you like them you can contact him and he will be happy to get in line on the Dan day fed ex Friday

pgaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2013, 08:36 PM   #1268
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dca22anderson View Post
Great additions Dan! ;-) Your tank is rockin'!!!
Thanks Dave!

They are really beautiful. Everything has opened up except the mushrooms are still a little so-so.

I can't wait to have my friend come over with his macro lens and shoot some good pics.

What kind of camera do you use? You always have great photos!

Unread 01/05/2013, 08:46 PM   #1269
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommer View Post
Those additions look amazing. Its great to have the wife pick out something she likes. Makes them feel more involved.

If you are ever down in Phoenix, there is a guy that sells corals out of his house. He imports them from Thailand and Australia and he gets some gorgeous pieces. The best thing is NO FRAGS. They are all large pieces at some amazing prices.

He can also email you pics of his stuff. If you want his number let me know.
Thanks dotcommer!

There's a first time for everything! I was shocked when not only did she find one thing that she liked, but two!!!!!

I'd be very interested in seeing what your friend sells in Phoenix. I am always looking for great pieces especially at good prices. Please have him PM me or if you want, I can always message you my contact information.

Unread 01/05/2013, 09:30 PM   #1270
o2manyfish
Registered Member

The clown looks great!

I also got a red metallic goni this past week... lets see whose grows faster

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2013, 12:03 PM   #1271
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
Those guys at WWC are on their game. In the beginning I thought just the Large Reef Tank viewers only knew of my build. After being greeted when I entered the store a couple of the employees were like ,"Aren't you that guy with that large tank build, something like 8 feet long and around 500 gallons?" I was totally in awe. It was even better when they didn't try to push product on me towards my build. I still ended up spending a few bills there but I was shocked and impressed. I wish I knew what time you were going and I would have driven up and met you. Guess I'll see you at MACNA.
Thanks "Reefing is my middle name." I definitely will be ordering from them again. Just their followup alone was outstanding! Had I known a specific time I would have been going, I certainly would have let you know. We go to Florida once a year to see my in laws and I will most certainly be going to MACNA.

Unread 01/06/2013, 12:06 PM   #1272
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgaudreau View Post
Dan Nice big pieces, one of the guys that wholesales directly to them is local here in fort lauderdale, he is getting a large shipment of Australian in the next couple weeks. His pieces are just like that large and beautiful and he wholesales them to lfs that usually frag them. When he gets his shipment in I will go pick up some pieces and and send you pictures of anything of size for your aquarium condo. If you like them you can contact him and he will be happy to get in line on the Dan day fed ex Friday
Thanks pgudreau! That would be awesome!

I am still looking for some nice pieces and there is always plenty of room. Let me know when he gets them in!

Unread 01/06/2013, 11:49 PM   #1273
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
The clown looks great!

I also got a red metallic goni this past week... lets see whose grows faster

Dave B
Thanks Dave!

I was going to email you earlier this weekend and got a little side tracked..

I actually got a pair of the Clownfish, just couldn't get a picture of them together. Victor indicated that he had the pair for over a year. They appear to be doing well. They are a little trippy... When I go by the tank at night, all you see are these little white markings floating around the tank. Kinda alien like!

The goniopora is really super tiny so yours will probably grow much faster. I still have it sitting in one of my QT's why I look for a place in my display. I found a small ledge. I am just not sure if it will get enough light.

Unread 01/09/2013, 03:09 PM   #1274
CHSUB
"Certified Hobby Expert"

great reef!!! question, how are you going to keep the orange cup coral alive, being that it is so larger and your tank is so massive, it seems like an impossible task?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2110638
CHSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2013, 07:18 PM   #1275
acabgd
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you acabgd!!!

I am sorry that the music with my first video wouldn't work outside of the states. I am glad that Sam was able to change the music so you could enjoy it. Happy New Year!
Just to let you know it was not just the music that wasn't working - the whole video was blocked "... due to copyrighted soundtrack..." or something along these lines. I was not able to even start the video.

acabgd is offline   Reply With Quote