Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/09/2018, 09:17 AM   #2351
Deep Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
2x2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008VFAP/

I briefly thought about Titan... but couldn't do it.

Thanks great build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 150g Reef
Deep Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 09:54 AM   #2352
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
2x2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008VFAP/

I briefly thought about Titan... but couldn't do it.

I actually have the Titan (r3 clone). It’s not terrible. You can definitely see the difference between paint and powder coat. Mine is one of the more recent ones with cleaner welds. If I were in the 500-1000# squatting category, I’d absolutely go with rogue, or something more commercial quality. But that definitely wasn’t in the budget. Anyhow. I digress. Clean looking gym you’ve got there. Wish the HOA in my area would approve something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 10:15 AM   #2353
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Odd question, perhaps...what did you use for flooring in the gym?
It's a shed with 3/4" T&G plywood subflooring over 2x6 joists.
I was worried about the heavy weights, especially if dropped so I put down a whole second layer of the 3/4" T&G subflooring. Then some red rosin paper just to help with any moisture. Then what you're probably really asking about, the top layer is 1/2" rubber rolls from rubberflooringinc.com
It's their "quick ship" option (just a few colors to choose from). First was thinking of going with stall mats due to the low cost and 3/4" thickness. But I felt all the seams were going to bother me. And I liked the idea of having the fleck to help hide dirt. Even with the fleck, I keep my shoes in the gym and have door mat for anyone else to wipe their feet before walking in. lol
And the 1/2 ended up being a good choice. This stuff is dense. And heavy as heck. It took three 20'+ rolls and they probably weighed about 200 lbs a piece. It's funny how the rubber reacts in different temps. Below 50 degrees, it shrinks. I see major seams. In warmer temps, it seals up tight. Can't even find the seams. And cleaning it is a breeze. Damp mop with some vinegar mixed in the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
I actually have the Titan (r3 clone). It’s not terrible. You can definitely see the difference between paint and powder coat. Mine is one of the more recent ones with cleaner welds. If I were in the 500-1000# squatting category, I’d absolutely go with rogue, or something more commercial quality. But that definitely wasn’t in the budget. Anyhow. I digress. Clean looking gym you’ve got there. Wish the HOA in my area would approve something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ya, I went back and forth but then decided that it was worth the extra few hundred bucks for my OCD and knowing I'd always be thinking "what if". lol
Only thing that sucked was I got this whole idea in my head right AFTER thanksgiving so I missed all the BF sales which would have save me a bunch. I ended up having to pay both tax and shipping on top of it. But I ordered a TON from Rogue all at once so at least the shipping got combined. My UPS guy must have been like LOL

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 11:09 AM   #2354
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Then what you're probably really asking about, the top layer is 1/2" rubber rolls from rubberflooringinc.com
It's their "quick ship" option (just a few colors to choose from)
Yeah, who cares about your subflooring?

Perfect. Thanks. I couldn't see any seams, so it almost looked like you epoxied the whole thing.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 01:05 PM   #2355
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
yeah, who cares about your subflooring?

Perfect. Thanks. I couldn't see any seams, so it almost looked like you epoxied the whole thing.
ha

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 02/11/2018, 08:07 AM   #2356
RVANANO
SWAGON

Tank is looking great, Dennis.

I just ordered some of that cable raceway for my own tank since I am about to redo the lighting.

Also love that gym!

"Your opinion is appreciated. Unless it's stupid" -Me

Current Tank Info: "Nano" 300 peninsula reef in progress
RVANANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 12:20 PM   #2357
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVANANO View Post
Tank is looking great, Dennis.

I just ordered some of that cable raceway for my own tank since I am about to redo the lighting.

Also love that gym!
Thanks, Brandon!

Unread 02/11/2018, 12:22 PM   #2358
d2mini
Registered Member

So these little babies of mine left the nest yesterday.
Just a few from the colony I have.

And this is the newest addition.

Unread 02/11/2018, 12:25 PM   #2359
networkcrasher
Registered Member

Wow. Ponies up for a bounce! Beautiful colors

networkcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 01:41 PM   #2360
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkcrasher View Post
Wow. Ponies up for a bounce! Beautiful colors
Nah... that was a trade.

Unread 02/11/2018, 02:35 PM   #2361
d2mini
Registered Member

One more pic in whiter light.

Unread 02/11/2018, 02:41 PM   #2362
Deep Reef
Registered Member

Beautiful

Current Tank Info: 150g Reef
Deep Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 07:16 AM   #2363
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Reef View Post
Beautiful

Thanks!

Unread 02/13/2018, 06:45 AM   #2364
choss
Registered Member

D2 - stunning pics as always. Really awesome. On a side note, I just received my GHL KH Director. Are you planning on adding one to your setup?

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy 96
choss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 08:58 AM   #2365
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choss View Post
D2 - stunning pics as always. Really awesome. On a side note, I just received my GHL KH Director. Are you planning on adding one to your setup?
Thanks!
Not at this time. For one I don't want to spend the money, and two I'd like to see more people implement one into a calcium reactor setup. Most will be using it with regular liquid dosing.

Unread 02/14/2018, 08:04 AM   #2366
choss
Registered Member

Makes sense. It will be some time before I have any experience with it since my tank is "almost wet" - should be this weekend. But I'll do a review down the road.

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy 96
choss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 07:41 PM   #2367
d2mini
Registered Member

Finally got the Radion Diffusers installed!

Honestly, it's not that much different than before. Still plenty of shimmer. And not much loss in light. I have a hand held photography light meter than can measure LUX and I'm recording only a 3-5% loss. The tank looks very evenly lit with very little shadowing. I'd say it's a very subtle but nice upgrade.

Also, I kind of like not seeing those individual led domes on the pucks.
Looks more finished IMO.

Unread 02/21/2018, 08:05 PM   #2368
SPotter
Registered Member

Tank looks awesome Dennis! The diffusers look like they make a huge appearance difference for people with open canopies. I’m in the fence whether or not to add them.

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 09:19 PM   #2369
RVANANO
SWAGON

Very nice, Dennis! I think they make diffusers for the AP700's too so I may look into those.

"Your opinion is appreciated. Unless it's stupid" -Me

Current Tank Info: "Nano" 300 peninsula reef in progress
RVANANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 06:14 AM   #2370
cincyjim
Registered Member

Your tank looks awesome! Are you using a refugium with macro or something like?

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 07:00 AM   #2371
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVANANO View Post
Very nice, Dennis! I think they make diffusers for the AP700's too so I may look into those.
Thanks, Brandon!
You've already got the T5's, so unless your Kessils are giving you too much shimmer as-is, I'd skip the diffusers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyjim View Post
Your tank looks awesome! Are you using a refugium with macro or something like?
Thanks!

Unread 02/22/2018, 08:34 AM   #2372
cincyjim
Registered Member

Thanks for sharing! I've noticed that really nice looking tanks have a macro refugium of some sort and in most cases the size of the refugium does not matter. I have been researching on building a display refugium however, I've also noticed most refugiums (display or otherwise) can get to be an eye sore. It seems the more eye sore they are the more efficient they are for the total water quality of the system. I don't mind an eye sore under the tank but I'm not wanting an eye sore display refugium

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
Unread 02/23/2018, 06:00 AM   #2373
cincyjim
Registered Member

I apologize if I offended you with my above post as I certainly wasn't knocking your refugium or anything like that at all. I think you have one of the nicest tanks in the hobby and most of us are striving to get there as well. I'm always amazed at your dedication and I certainly enjoy the you tube videos that you had published.

Unread 02/23/2018, 08:57 AM   #2374
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyjim View Post
I apologize if I offended you with my above post as I certainly wasn't knocking your refugium or anything like that at all. I think you have one of the nicest tanks in the hobby and most of us are striving to get there as well. I'm always amazed at your dedication and I certainly enjoy the you tube videos that you had published.
No offense taken.
I've had a pretty cool display refugium before. And with this tank I've come to appreciate the "eye sore" type from a more functional standpoint because I know that all that stuff growing on the walls and the thick muck that covers the surface of the water is beneficial to the tank and I'm exporting nutrients when I remove it. Better to have that stuff in the fuge than the display. Especially when it's hidden in the stand anyway.

Unread 02/23/2018, 09:19 AM   #2375
SPotter
Registered Member

I love “eye sore” refugiums! Here’s my 120g eye sore loaded with mud, rocks and various macro but primarily the evil grape caulerpa. My fuge is so efficient that I no longer use a skimmer!

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote