Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2017, 03:59 AM   #1
bigzman
Registered Member

RD3 230 watt pump extension?

Hello, just ordered 4 x RD 230 and for the application we plan for we would need longer cables from pump to controller. What options exist to get pumps with longer than 15 cables?

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef lps sps
bigzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2017, 03:20 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

WE don't offer longer cables. The additional length would increase the resistance in the wiring and because the controller monitors rotational speed of the motor, the resistance would cause the controller to receive erroneous readings from the pump motor. That said, the cable from the pump to the controller is several feed long and has a quick disconnect plug so the pump can be unplugged from the controller. The best and only real option will be to move the controller closer to the pump and use an extension cord of some sort for the power connection.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2017, 03:29 PM   #3
bigzman
Registered Member

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
WE don't offer longer cables. The additional length would increase the resistance in the wiring and because the controller monitors rotational speed of the motor, the resistance would cause the controller to receive erroneous readings from the pump motor. That said, the cable from the pump to the controller is several feed long and has a quick disconnect plug so the pump can be unplugged from the controller. The best and only real option will be to move the controller closer to the pump and use an extension cord of some sort for the power connection.
Thanks we were hoping to leave controllers out of stand. Tank is 120 inches long.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef lps sps
bigzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2017, 05:43 PM   #4
Reefer525XL
Registered Member

Scott is the quick disconnect standard on all models or just the 230w?

Reefer525XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2017, 06:53 PM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzman View Post
Thanks we were hoping to leave controllers out of stand. Tank is 120 inches long.
Glad to help. I wish I had a better answer for you but unfortunately, it's not possible at this time. These controller are water resistant so if you have the space, it's not an issue. Both of my 230 controllers are below the tank as is my RD3 50 skimmer pump. Both have been below the tank for nearly 2 years. As such, if that is an option, it's not really something to worry about but it's also nice to be able to have all the electronics remotely located so I do understand that too. I will note that you will want to take the pumps apart from time to time to clean them so having a huge cord with the controller remotely mounted may serve as an inconvenience when it comes to pump maintenance. Just something to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer525XL View Post
Scott is the quick disconnect standard on all models or just the 230w?
Yes. Both the RD3 230 and even the RD3 150 share the same controller and both models include the quick disconnect and have since they were released. That said, always power down the controller before disconnecting and reconnecting the pump!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 01/23/2017, 07:22 PM   #6
Reefer525XL
Registered Member

What about the 50w and 80w?

Unread 01/24/2017, 12:49 AM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
What about the 50w and 80w?
Unfortunately the 50w and 80w pumps don't have a removable connection for the pumps. They use a different controller all together.

Unread 01/24/2017, 06:31 AM   #8
Reefer525XL
Registered Member

Is there a reason why there is no quick disconnect? That would sure make maintenance a lot easier not having carry with the controller and most importantly tracing the power cord back to the power bar.

Unread 01/24/2017, 11:45 AM   #9
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Is there a reason why there is no quick disconnect? That would sure make maintenance a lot easier not having carry with the controller and most importantly tracing the power cord back to the power bar.
The reason is that people don't follow directions and that controller doesn't have the ability to sense when the pump is disconnected. It requires more logic. They experimented with the removable connection early on when the RD3 80's were released in Europe. People were unplugging the pumps from the controller when the power was connected and or plugging the pump into the controller when power was connected and there were issues with the controllers failing as a result. Because of that, Germany made the decision to err on the side of caution and not include the quick connect on that controller/pump combo. The RD3 150's and RD3 230's use a more advanced controller that added some safety features to help mitigate accidental damage from hot plugging the pumps. This is why we see that feature in the bigger pumps but not presently in the smaller ones. It's a more advanced and more expensive controller. Despite the connection on the 150 and 230, it's obviously stressed that you don't hot plug the pump while power is connected to the controller.

I have an RD3 80 on one of my tanks and the RD3 50 skimmer pump on my main display. I just bring a container with some vinegar in it and another container with water. I break the pump down right beside the tank and do a quick vinegar soak followed by a scrubbing and rinse. The whole process takes me less that 15 minutes including the 10 minute vinegar soak. Sometimes I pull the skimmer controller off the cabinet door but not often these days. It's just too easy to do it right by the tank and not have to undo the long pump cable and then retie it back out of the way when I'm done. Even my 230's with the removable connection get cleaned right by the tank for that reason. It's just easier to clean them there than to take my nice neat wire bundles off the wall and carry the pump away when I can clean them within feet of their location.

Unread 01/24/2017, 05:12 PM   #10
Reefer525XL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
The reason is that people don't follow directions and that controller doesn't have the ability to sense when the pump is disconnected. It requires more logic. They experimented with the removable connection early on when the RD3 80's were released in Europe. People were unplugging the pumps from the controller when the power was connected and or plugging the pump into the controller when power was connected and there were issues with the controllers failing as a result. Because of that, Germany made the decision to err on the side of caution and not include the quick connect on that controller/pump combo. The RD3 150's and RD3 230's use a more advanced controller that added some safety features to help mitigate accidental damage from hot plugging the pumps. This is why we see that feature in the bigger pumps but not presently in the smaller ones. It's a more advanced and more expensive controller. Despite the connection on the 150 and 230, it's obviously stressed that you don't hot plug the pump while power is connected to the controller.

I have an RD3 80 on one of my tanks and the RD3 50 skimmer pump on my main display. I just bring a container with some vinegar in it and another container with water. I break the pump down right beside the tank and do a quick vinegar soak followed by a scrubbing and rinse. The whole process takes me less that 15 minutes including the 10 minute vinegar soak. Sometimes I pull the skimmer controller off the cabinet door but not often these days. It's just too easy to do it right by the tank and not have to undo the long pump cable and then retie it back out of the way when I'm done. Even my 230's with the removable connection get cleaned right by the tank for that reason. It's just easier to clean them there than to take my nice neat wire bundles off the wall and carry the pump away when I can clean them within feet of their location.
Gotcha, that makes total sense. Also you make another great point about just cleaning it by the tank. I will for sure be doing that since I don't want to deal with redoing the wiring every time I clean the pumps.