Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/20/2018, 08:42 PM   #1
wally431
Registered Member

100g setup suggestions

So I just picked up a 100g tank and stand, I’m thinking of going with 2 hydra 26hd units just wondering if they will be able to grow sps in a 19in deep tank.
Also wondering what everyone thinks on my skimmer. I’ve got an ASM G1x which I know is for up to 150g but will it be enough for a stocked 100g?
One last question about a return pump, was looking at the ecotech S1 or would that be too much?
Thanks ahead of time for the help
Wally

wally431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 09:33 PM   #2
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

I would run 2 more lights and a bigger skimmer.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 09:41 PM   #3
wally431
Registered Member

So 2 of the hydra 52hds? Or a different light altogether?

How about the Eshopps Axium Protein Skimmer X-160 or the X-220 would be a bit bigger and bigger is usually better in aquariums. I just like the look of the diffuser inside em.
What brand skimmer is everyone’s fav?

Unread 02/20/2018, 09:51 PM   #4
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

First off how long and deep from fron to back is the tank?

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Unread 02/20/2018, 11:25 PM   #5
wally431
Registered Member

It’s 48wide by 24 front to back by 19 height I figured being a shallower tank the 2 26hds would be enough but I’ve never kept sps corals so I just wanna make sure the lighting is enough

Unread 02/21/2018, 01:13 AM   #6
frey
Registered Member

I run 3 HYDRA 52's on a 6' tank. Depending on the bracing on your hundred 2 or 3 HYDRA 26 will be plenty. Just plan your scape so that the valleys are under tour lights not peaks so you do not create large shaded areas. The skimmer will probably be fine for a while unless you keep a small fish load may be able to use it longer.
If you have never kept sps before just make sure you start your lights low intensity for longer time period and have lots of flow. If you have them at 100% you will kill the sps quickly but if you start to low you have a longer period of time to make incremental adjustments up to where they thrive.

frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 06:06 AM   #7
wally431
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I prolly won't start with alot of fish right away so the ASM should work for a hot minute. There's only 1 brace in the tank do I'm thinking 2 of the 26hds should work and I'm not one that likes a tank full of rocks I like it a little open.
Gunna get my hands on a 40g breeder to make into a sump but still wondering about the return pump. I could get a mag 12 to run on the cheap side. The ecotech S1 is a little more expensive but I think with that being adjustable it work better.

I'd like to do a fuge in the sump also and will put a little led on that to grow chaeto. Getting exciting just getting all the stuff around

Unread 02/21/2018, 08:31 AM   #8
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

If you want to keep sps I would recommend either 2 more 26s or 4-6 total Primes to get better coverage. 2 26s will not give great coverage and you will have 2 large hot spots. You want nice even coverage of the par not 2 great spots and crappy everywhere else. You can also add 3-4 t5 bulbs to the same end.

Unread 02/21/2018, 08:56 AM   #9
wally431
Registered Member

Just cause I know more is always better I will just get 2 of the 56hd uh units. I have the prime on my 45g setup and that works nicely. With being 4ft by 2ft I think the bigger ones will get the coverage I'm looking for.
I like the aqua illumination lights cause you don't need a controller with it, I can do it from my phone. I like the kessil 360 but would 2 of those be enough, then I would need a controller for the both of em.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unread 02/21/2018, 09:01 AM   #10
RobZilla04
Registered Member

FWIW consider your scape and how high you will be placing the SPS. If the scape is going to be pretty centered on each side, beneath the lights, then two would be plenty. As already mentioned additional lights will improve coverage. Thus if you are planning on going with a scape that is broad from side to side and back to front, you'll want the additional coverage.

Unread 02/21/2018, 01:55 PM   #11
wally431
Registered Member

Thank again for the help here. Never really grown sps corals so looking forward to doing so. I’ve thought about putting some T5s in but it’s going to be an open top with no canopy so I want it to look nice and clean.

No one has really said anything about the return pump I’m thinking about. The ecotech would be nice being adjustable and that I can use it internal or external.

Figuring I will just start out using the ASM skimmer that I have then just upgrade down the road a bit since I’m looking at spending about 7-800 on lights.

Unread 02/21/2018, 10:56 PM   #12
frey
Registered Member

For 3 years I just ran a quiet 1 pump on the 180. Now have added a vectra in addition to the quiet one. The vectra runs the 65 gallon fuge and a 90 cube all out of my sump. If you can afford the S1 by all means having the controlabilty is nice but a gate valve does the same thing. I have never really changed my flow for the return during the day or night so it's honestly to me just a waist. The only reason the vectra is in my sump is because I picked it up cheap from a tank tear down. You can only put so much flow through the overflows anyways spend the money on good powerheads that's where it counts. Also food for thought why not 6 primes? The cost to coverage would be ideal?

Unread 02/21/2018, 10:59 PM   #13
frey
Registered Member

Kessil 700 is rated for a 4' tank I believe and I have seen some nice tanks using them. I had the 360WE but traded them off. Was not getting sps coral growth. Got color but not much growth. Softies abd LPS grew like you wouldnt believe under them.

Unread 02/26/2018, 12:37 AM   #14
wally431
Registered Member

Found a few used parts I’m going to be picking up next weekend at a coral swap. Gunna get the ASM G4 with Sedra 9k pump, also found a korallin c3002 calcium reactor with co2 tank regulator drip counter and ehiem pump.
Debating on just building a sump out of a 40g breeder tank or buying a triton44 sump. The only real benefit I see is the added water volume with the triton but with the 40g I would have more room under the stand for whatever else. With the triton it would be squeezed right in there with maybe 5 inch to spare.
As for lights I think I’m set on getting 2 hydra 52 he units, that should be plenty for what I want to do.
Got the stand all sanded down and will paint it this week and maybe get this setup sooner than I thought.

Unread 02/26/2018, 12:47 PM   #15
SDboatguy
Registered Member

If you plan on hanging a fixture- you could go Aquatic Life Hybrid with Hydra 52s or 26s or Radions and add your T5 s down the road.

SDboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2018, 04:28 PM   #16
RCS82
Registered Member

I think the aquatic life fixture would work great for your tank dimensions. The hydra 26s would snap right in and you get the t5 coverage also. Pretty nice looking unit too.

Current Tank Info: 90g, mixed reef, I hope haha
RCS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2018, 05:06 PM   #17
wally431
Registered Member

Not a fan of canopy’s at all so I want an open top. Might have a line on 2 Kessil 360w for fairly cheap so might go that way

Unread 03/02/2018, 04:24 PM   #18
wally431
Registered Member

Will be picking up a few things at the swap for the 100g setup. Getting a skimmer and a calcium reactor so I’ll have that covered. Lights I’m thinking 2 Kessil 360 to keep the top open. I like the open top look.

For the sump I still plan on using a 40g breeder tank so I will have a little spare room in the stand. Gunna be filter socks and skimmer in the first section then bubble trap n return in the middle and refugium to the far right. Since I’m going with a DC controllable pump I don’t wanna T off the return to flow to the fuge I’m going to put a maxi jet 400 or 600 to pump to the fuge to keep a slower flow rate thru it. The fuge will just over flow into the middle return. I would like to put a deep sand bed in the fuge then put some mangroves in and chaeto but just reading around a lot of ppl do a bare bottom fuge.
What’s the benefit to a bare bottom fuge compared to a sand bed and mangroves?