Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/18/2018, 04:22 PM   #1
credenza
Registered Member

Fish selection help for newbie - 65g

Hi all,
I am starting new in the saltwater hobby (previously kept freshwater tank). I have a 65g tank that has been cycled and running for 2 months. I also set up a 10g quarantine tank and processed a clownfish pair and have added them to the 65g display tank. (My priority is fish and macro algae in this tank. A few soft corals may be down the road)

Now I am looking to get my remaining desired fish list finalized and figure out the right order to establish a peaceful tank.

Also my list is limited by what I can get from the LFS or online that are captive bred.
Here is my wish list (additions to my clownfish pair):
1) Bangaii cardinal or Pajama cardinal or both?
2) Watchman goby (can i keep a goby with one blenny?)
3) black line blenny or bicolor blenny or forktail blenny?
4) Orchid dottyback
5) azure damselfish

As I mentioned earlier, I am committed to only including captive bred fish. It is also a side goal of mine to get as much color as possible per the request of my boy - blue and my girl - pink/purple.

If this very experienced group can advise me where the pitfalls lie in my plan above, that would be huge! Also any preferences between fish within the same species, based on your experiences.

credenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 04:37 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

You're probably ok---nothing gets too big. I'd suggest maybe trading the dottyback (the yellows in particular are meaner than a junkyard dog,---orchids have a better rep) for the pink margin wrasse, who is a well-behaved type in a community. I can't swear to the cardinals. Another fish that might do well for you is a firefish.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 05:22 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

To Reef Central

Unread 02/18/2018, 06:22 PM   #4
credenza
Registered Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, Bertoni and the quick advice , Sk8r.

I will take your advice on the firefish. And will consider the dottyback caveat.

What are your thoughts on say introducing an azure damselfish at the end of the list? Would the firefish be harassed?

Unread 02/19/2018, 04:08 PM   #5
kiMxD
Registered Member

I'd never introduce a damsel if it's not necessary (in case you REALLY like them). Damsels have a bad reputation, usually the majority are aggressive.

If you like Damsels, I'd suggest you to try Chromis viridis, it's the peaceful Damsel. It's a great starter fish, beautiful color, cheap and hardy just as any other Damsel.

Welcome to RC and happy reefing!

kiMxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 07:39 PM   #6
credenza
Registered Member

Here is my set up.
Thanks for that advice on damsels. Just wanted to confirm all the information out there about damsels is true for the azure damselfish as well.
Will research the chromis viridis.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Unread 02/19/2018, 07:41 PM   #7
credenza
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by credenza View Post
Here is my set up.
Thanks for that advice on damsels. Just wanted to confirm all the information out there about damsels is true for the azure damselfish as well.
Will research the chromis viridis.

And ignore the algae thrown around in the pic It's a work in progress. Just threw some of these to see how they do , work on my nitrates etc.

Unread 02/19/2018, 10:53 PM   #8
nereefpat
Registered Member

The azure damsel, and its Chrysiptera spp cousins, are pretty peaceful.

I like the list, personally. Good variety of small and pretty reef-safe fishes that won't outgrow the tank.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 11:15 PM   #9
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by credenza View Post
Hi all,
I am starting new in the saltwater hobby (previously kept freshwater tank). I have a 65g tank that has been cycled and running for 2 months. I also set up a 10g quarantine tank and processed a clownfish pair and have added them to the 65g display tank. (My priority is fish and macro algae in this tank. A few soft corals may be down the road)

Now I am looking to get my remaining desired fish list finalized and figure out the right order to establish a peaceful tank.

Also my list is limited by what I can get from the LFS or online that are captive bred.
Here is my wish list (additions to my clownfish pair):
1) Bangaii cardinal or Pajama cardinal or both?
2) Watchman goby (can i keep a goby with one blenny?)
3) black line blenny or bicolor blenny or forktail blenny?
4) Orchid dottyback
5) azure damselfish

As I mentioned earlier, I am committed to only including captive bred fish. It is also a side goal of mine to get as much color as possible per the request of my boy - blue and my girl - pink/purple.

If this very experienced group can advise me where the pitfalls lie in my plan above, that would be huge! Also any preferences between fish within the same species, based on your experiences.
Hi there! Your list looks really good....and good for you on buying only captive bred live stock! You mentioned a peaceful tank...you might want to reconsider the Azure Damsel....I know that damsels can get pretty mean. Yea you should be able to keep a Goby and a blenny no problem. Everything else looks great and peaceful!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 10:47 AM   #10
kiMxD
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
The azure damsel, and its Chrysiptera spp cousins, are pretty peaceful.

I like the list, personally. Good variety of small and pretty reef-safe fishes that won't outgrow the tank.
I wouldn't be so sure that the Azure Damsels are pretty peaceful, maybe the one you've got is...

kiMxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 10:58 AM   #11
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiMxD View Post
I wouldn't be so sure that the Azure Damsels are pretty peaceful, maybe the one you've got is...
In case you haven't seen Sk8tr's damsel write-up:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/blog.php?b=847

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 03:31 PM   #12
mitch91175
Premium Member

If you are doing macro algae in the tank, maybe a smaller tang would be a great addition. They will help keep it trimmed for you. Awesome grazers. I would substitute out the Pajama Cardinal for a Yellow Tang any day. I just got rid of 4 from my DT. The Pajama isn't the greatest fish to look at.

mitch91175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 05:57 PM   #13
thecrablady
Registered Member

Only problem I can see is that tangs can't be captive bred.

thecrablady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 07:07 PM   #14
Toolfan333
Registered Member

I have an azure damsel and it’s not too bad. A royal gramma might be better than the dottyback, although I don’t know if they are captive bred or not.

Toolfan333 is offline   Reply With Quote