Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/08/2013, 07:22 AM   #3176
roni
Premium Member

I used grocery store mussels for about 1.5 months to get my imperator and regal eating. The imperator started first on the mussels and then trained the regal to eat from there. The regal was the first to eat thera pellets and taught the imperator how to eat out of the water column.

30 x 12 x 12 may be stretching it for that big of a regal, especially if there is a lot of rock in there.

roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2013, 09:14 AM   #3177
Jeff000
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
I used grocery store mussels for about 1.5 months to get my imperator and regal eating. The imperator started first on the mussels and then trained the regal to eat from there. The regal was the first to eat thera pellets and taught the imperator how to eat out of the water column.

30 x 12 x 12 may be stretching it for that big of a regal, especially if there is a lot of rock in there.
It's mostly open. One 8x4x3 rock. And a couple of frag racks on the glass.

I just figure it would be a safe place to get him started. As long as the size doesn't stress him.

Jeff000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2013, 08:35 AM   #3178
aquaph8
Love The Fish

My Regal took a few bites of the angel/butterfly food but still was hiding in the corner being a chicken. I moved my Copperband back to the QT last night because of some aggression and he just didn't seem ready, so far this morning they are both out cruising acting so much more bold and even picking at stuff. Who knew, he just wanted a buddy.

Current Tank Info: Leemar 60x36x24, 8x80 T5/LED Sfiligoi GENESIS Alpha 300 skimmer
aquaph8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2013, 11:46 AM   #3179
Psionicdragon
Registered Member

Advice

So I need some advice.

I have a red sea regal and its not really eating. Its been in QT for 2 weeks. Should I release it in the main tank? I was planning to wait 2-3 months as I have corals coming back from a tank that has ick and I have a bad history with ick.

THanks

Unread 08/11/2013, 12:01 PM   #3180
aquaph8
Love The Fish

I thought mine was doing better, he passed away this morning and my disease free Copperband is now full of spots. Wish me luck getting the CB healthy again.

Current Tank Info: Leemar 60x36x24, 8x80 T5/LED Sfiligoi GENESIS Alpha 300 skimmer
aquaph8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2013, 05:14 PM   #3181
Chicago
Registered Member

This worked for me. Clams and nori like a suchi roll with pellets. Flatten onto a piece of flat live rock that is like 8x6. Or anything you can move. Put some deer netting over it and wrapped in rubber bands. The deer netting keeps it all in the rocks. Oh forgot. Throw some garlic extract. Seachem or any other product. My regal nipped at it and started eating. If you have aggressive tanks do this n two pieces of rock so less aggression.

Current Tank Info: 500 gal starphire, reef sps dominated, 40 plus fish, 300 gallon sump in basement below, reeftek calcium reactor, reeftek kalkwasser reactor, lifeguard fluidized filter for rowaphose, 4 400MH 10k xm, 2 160 vho super attinic, DYI 50 gallon denitrator
Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2013, 06:35 AM   #3182
platax88
Registered Member

Hi Everyone! I'm about to take a chance on a RS regal in my 250 mixed reef. I am getting it from a local reefer that has had it for 3+ months and eating nori and clams on the half shell. My worry is if he will be able to compete with the other pigs in the tank... mostly tangs and a majestic. On the other hand he may do well, do to the fact that i purposely overfeed and it may lead by example of the other fish during the feeding frenzy. I am planning on going straight to the DT but putting him in a large egg-crate box for a little to get the other fish used to him...

Any advice on transitioning from the clam on half shell... i am afraid that my other fish will devour it before the regal gets any.

Thanks!

Unread 08/14/2013, 07:23 AM   #3183
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

My experience with picky eaters (leopard wrasse, regal angel) is not getting them to eat, but getting them to eat in a boisterous community tank. In both cases with the Regals I have successfully kept, they were the first bigger fish in the tank and got established before adding in tangs, dwarf angels, etc. Not saying you can't add a Regal late, I just think it makes things more of a challenge.

ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2013, 06:38 AM   #3184
alton
Registered Member

Have you ever order a fish and then not want it? Here is my 3" Regal from the Red Sea that I ordered from my LFS that came in 6"! But since he has been in QT I have fallen in love because I never had a Regal that would spit water when not fed soon enough. He started eating the second day I got him.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2013, 06:48 AM   #3185
H.reidi.MN
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionicdragon View Post
So I need some advice.

I have a red sea regal and its not really eating. Its been in QT for 2 weeks. Should I release it in the main tank? I was planning to wait 2-3 months as I have corals coming back from a tank that has ick and I have a bad history with ick.

THanks
So its not eating basically and you want to put it in the DT tank... Seems like you answered your own question

H.reidi.MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2013, 09:44 AM   #3186
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionicdragon View Post
So I need some advice.

I have a red sea regal and its not really eating. Its been in QT for 2 weeks. Should I release it in the main tank?
Well, it's a few weeks later... What happened to regal?

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2013, 05:52 AM   #3187
chipchip
Registered Member

Hi dudes

Today I went to my LFS and saw this beauty. I never had a regal in my tank but I love the regals. Should I go and pick it up? I think its a must huh?
Is it the red sea regal?

Last edited by Dino; 03/30/2018 at 05:50 AM.
chipchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2013, 05:58 AM   #3188
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

It has a grey chest, so no, it's not a red sea or indian ocean specimen. But it looks nice and plump. If it's eating I'd give it a go.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2013, 06:04 AM   #3189
chipchip
Registered Member

Yeah, the beauty was eating in the store. They told me that the regal eats everything.
I think its time for a regal in my tank :-)

Unread 09/06/2013, 06:13 AM   #3190
Chicago
Registered Member

chipchip... i saw your pics.. do you still have that nice morish in your tank... is he a sps nipper..

on the regal..thats a nice meaty one.. i have two in my tank.. love them.. so far model citizens.. no issues with sps and as far as eating took them about a month to get them eating everything.. the larger of my two still is not an aggressive eater.. the tangs tend to grab alot of the meat food before he can get it... so every week or so.. i rubberband a nice piece of clam to a rock which gives him time to eat up,..

Current Tank Info: 500 gal starphire, reef sps dominated, 40 plus fish, 300 gallon sump in basement below, reeftek calcium reactor, reeftek kalkwasser reactor, lifeguard fluidized filter for rowaphose, 4 400MH 10k xm, 2 160 vho super attinic, DYI 50 gallon denitrator
Unread 09/06/2013, 06:20 AM   #3191
chipchip
Registered Member

yes, i do still have my moorish idol :-) he is so healthy, never saw a healthier fish. No, he is not nipping on sps but he munched all of my zoanthus.

Sounds very nice. A friend of mine tried to pair his regal but he did not have success yet :-( The one in his tank does not want another regal in the 700gallon tank.

Unread 09/06/2013, 06:25 AM   #3192
Dr Colliebreath
Registered Member

Assuming it is really eating as long as food is available (i.e, not just taking a few small nibbles and spitting some back out), it looks like a nice fish that is worth having.

Current Tank Info: 110 Oceanic RR w/35 gal sump and SRO XP2000 int
Dr Colliebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2013, 07:27 PM   #3193
h0bite
Registered Member

My angels

Hi all! This is my Regal, I have this fish for over a year, I took him fomr Quality Marine, they said he's from Red sea! I don't know if it's true but honestly I don't care about red sea or idian ocean or maldives. He's miss bar on he's right sidel, I don't know why. This video is a couple months old, he's now in a 120 gallons with a pair of joculator and a pair of colin's angelfish. I plan to add an other juv yellow belly regal to got a pair. I will post a new video around christmas time.
See ya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyN7YISIc8E

h0bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2013, 11:48 AM   #3194
Chicago
Registered Member

Ok in the last post with the video. Who ca tell me what types of wrasses those are. White and blue looks great.

Unread 09/08/2013, 12:00 PM   #3195
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Pretty sure it's Anampses neoguinaicus.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2013, 02:02 PM   #3196
h0bite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Pretty sure it's Anampses neoguinaicus.
Yeah you're right!

Unread 09/08/2013, 06:02 PM   #3197
aandfsoccr04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0bite View Post
Hi all! This is my Regal, I have this fish for over a year, I took him fomr Quality Marine, they said he's from Red sea! I don't know if it's true but honestly I don't care about red sea or idian ocean or maldives. He's miss bar on he's right sidel, I don't know why. This video is a couple months old, he's now in a 120 gallons with a pair of joculator and a pair of colin's angelfish. I plan to add an other juv yellow belly regal to got a pair. I will post a new video around christmas time.
See ya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyN7YISIc8E

Beautiful joculator in that video. Where'd you get it!?

Unread 09/08/2013, 07:49 PM   #3198
Chicago
Registered Member

Are they reef safe. Will they eat cleaner or red blood shrimp?

Unread 09/08/2013, 08:07 PM   #3199
h0bite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandfsoccr04 View Post
Beautiful joculator in that video. Where'd you get it!?
In my LFS near Montreal.

Unread 09/08/2013, 08:10 PM   #3200
h0bite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
Are they reef safe. Will they eat cleaner or red blood shrimp?
Mine was absolutely reef safe...always chasing the cleaner shrimp to get cleaned. I solded her in the last month, she were too big. Anampses wrasse need to be feed often, 4-5 time per day. Iam looking for a Lennardi or Femininus pair atm.
See ya