Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/11/2007, 01:22 PM   #1
bmw318is
Registered Member

are niger Triggers realy reef safe?

I was told by my LFS that Nigers are reef safe. I have known the store owner for at least 10 years and he has never given me incorrect information about any fresh or marine fish. But every were i look online says that niger trigers are not reef safe. I have had one in my tank for about 1 week he is about 3 1/2 to 4 inches. He's in the tank with a scopus and blue tank, neon wrasse and 2 osc clowns, and lawnmower blenny, snails hermits (about 35) small green short spin urchin (i think thats what its called) and a serpant sea star. also have several lps abd sps corals.

As of now he is getting along with everyone in the tank. Im just nervous that every website says that niger triggers are not reef safe! so are they?

thanks Paul

bmw318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2007, 01:27 PM   #2
Ebmorri
Registered Member

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/triggers/nigertrigger/

Ebmorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2007, 01:30 PM   #3
bmw318is
Registered Member

thanks Ebmorri thats the best website ive looked at yet gave a great description!

Unread 01/11/2007, 01:32 PM   #4
luke33
Moved On

I have heard some that are ok and some that are not. I had one for over 6mths that never touched a thing in a semi-agressive 125g FOWLR and a few softies. After the sixth month, i came home one day and he had eaten all the fins and taken chunks out of my angel, Dogface puffer, and valentine, along with taking chunks out of my shrooms. I didnt know it was him at first until i saw him rip some more on my angel, and since all my fish were in corners and he was swimming around very boldly, just had a hunch. But good luck. They have a jekyl and hyde personality IMO, but are pretty cool fish in the right conditions. He was 4" long.

luke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2007, 01:43 PM   #5
bmw318is
Registered Member

thanks luke33 i will watch him like a hawk. I also have 2 skunk cleaner shrip in the tank with him!! i love those two I think they have paired up and have mated cause one has a belly full of eggs?

Unread 01/11/2007, 01:46 PM   #6
luke33
Moved On

Definately watch him. Like i said, he was friendly then turned on everything. Luckily the only thing he killed were my zoa's and shrooms. But i think if he gets much bigger he will eat the skunk's. Although my fish have nightmares i'm sure. Expensive snack!

Unread 01/11/2007, 02:12 PM   #7
bmw318is
Registered Member

dude if he eats the skunks Im gona eat him! he will die a painful slow death. Or ill just take him back to the LFS for a credit and get some new skunks!

Unread 01/11/2007, 02:18 PM   #8
luke33
Moved On

Yea, i did that with mine! Got a skunk for it. lol Needed a cleaner to help my beat up fish!

Unread 01/11/2007, 02:22 PM   #9
rustybucket145
Registered Member

You can probably kiss the shrimp goodbye if you keep him in there long enough. Some have been known to turn on snails and hermits also. I just got mine a few weeks ago and I'm still on edge with him. I do have a friend with a FOWLR tank that I have lined up to send him to if he's ever bad.

Current Tank Info: 2 175w MH, 2 VH0 Actinics, Lots of Live Rock, tons of copepods, a Fat Mandarin Goby, Niger Trigger, Yellow Tang, Falco Hawkfish, Bi-Color Pseudo, numerous soft, SPS and LPS Corals
rustybucket145 is offline   Reply With Quote