Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/05/2007, 09:01 AM   #1
ralphie16
Moved On

Who has a BACK-UP return pump?

A major single point failure for my tank's filtration is the return pump. If that chokes and dies, my filtration stops and oxygen levels deplete fast. With this said, what is the longevity of our hobby pumps? I know the large return pumps used in HVAC applications last for years and years but those pumps are commerical use and very expensive.

How do our pumps compare? I think it would be a prudent investment to always have a spare on hand.

Do all you guys have a backup pump sitting in your closet waiting for that day?

ralphie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2007, 10:00 AM   #2
reefsafe
Premium Member

i do. picked it up for a fellow reefer for a good price. last thing I would want would be to have to run to an LFS and pay $$$ or worse yet not be able to do anything.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1969509

Current Tank Info: 360 Gallon AGE tank, Radion lighting, mp60 pumps and lots of equipment
reefsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2007, 10:08 AM   #3
AquaReeferMan
Got Reef?

I have another mag drive I can install if my main one stops working. Its always nice to have a back up plan.

Current Tank Info: 5 pieces of glass with some silicone and plastic frames holding them together
AquaReeferMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2007, 10:13 AM   #4
corals b 4 bills
Registered Member

When I bought my tunze pumps and deltec skimmer I was able to remove my closed loop and other skimmer so now I am stuck with three mag 18's as back ups. Having a back up pump is a must have though.

Current Tank Info: 29 gallon Bio Cube, HQI 150 watt Nanotuner~Vortech MP10W ES~Arctica Chiller~AC II~Tunze Osmolator ATO~ Tunze 9002 skimmer W/In Tank Cup~ Korallin Reactor W/PH Monitor~ Korallin Denitrator~APC Back-up~Phosban/Carbon Reactor.
corals b 4 bills is offline   Reply With Quote