Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 03/11/2007, 10:00 PM   #1
chrismhaase
Registered Member

90 Gallon Wishlist--help needed

Alright guys, I just received word from the fiance that my/our new tank can begin. Being that this will be a second time around reef, I want to have only quality products and I am willing to wait if the price for that item is justified. I will have some sps, lps and softies, fyi.

Specs:

-90 gallon reef ready
-stands- I was thinking DIY, does anyone have a quality stand builder? I want really nice trim work and little add ons.
-fuge - what size is recommended? I know bigger is better, but where do I start?
-skimmer- I was think the ASM g2
-amount of live rock (lbs.?)
-amount of live sand? (lbs?)
-return pump? - quite is very important as I am going to have it in the living room.
-auto-top off- what brand, pumps, etc.
-lights- (2) 250 MH- mogel or hqi? Ballast? Lights?
- vho or t5? Ballasts? Lights?
-flow? Closed loops? sea swirls? tunzes? seos?
-fans or chiller?
-controler system?
-wave maker?

Lets get this wishlist going so I can make a budget for my new reef tank. Thanks, Chris

Last edited by chrismhaase; 03/11/2007 at 10:08 PM.
chrismhaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2007, 10:52 PM   #2
T Man
~PPPPPPP~

For all that you have listed I'd set at least a 4K budget, less the LR and LS. IMHO. Do some surfin' with Reef Centrals sponsers to compare products and prices, it's the best way to get to know whats ahead of you. Good luck with your new set up, I hope to see some pic's soon. TinMan

Current Tank Info: click the "TzFuture" folder in my profile
T Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2007, 11:07 PM   #3
USC-fan
Premium Member

i'm upgrading to a 90gal

i'm spending around $2000

USC-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2007, 01:20 AM   #4
uscharalph
Registered Member

Wouldn't you want to go at least 125 gallons?

Current Tank Info: 80 Gallon Reef Tank
uscharalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2007, 06:25 AM   #5
JGross4
Premium Member

All Prices are Approx:

-90 gallon reef ready
Go with the Ocean Tech Series Tank ($850) (Eurobraced, Starfire glass, and slim overflow, and it looks awesome!) but you could get just a normal AGA RR 90 for half the price ($440).

-stands
Go DIY($200)

-fuge
Go for a Fuge/Sump combo, and i'd try to fit a 40 gallon breeder under there if you can fit it.($150 w/ baffles and pumbling)

-skimmer
Tunze 9010, super quite, small size, and super skimmer($300)

-amount of live rock (lbs.?)
Check out MarcoRocks.com, this stuff is awesome, priced well, and its dry, so if you order 50 lbs, your really get like 75-85, once its wet, and seed it with some top quality Figi. (i'd say go with pillars, roughly 50 dry lbs of Marco and 25 lbs of top notch Figi)($250)

-return pump? Ehiem 1260/1250 best on the market($60-100)

-auto-top off-
i'd run a JBJ ATO, with a MJ 600 (there are better, but this has worked great for me, can get it for $75) ($90 all said and done)

-lights- (2) 250 MH-
Luminarc Stealth HQI DE, with Sunlight Supply Bluewave VII ballast($600 w/ bulbs)

- vho or t5?
2x54 Tek T5 HO retros with individual reflectors.($140 w/ bulbs)

-flow? Closed loops? sea swirls? tunzes? seos?
Tunzes, No question($500)

-fans or chiller?
Vantec Stealth fans($20)

-controler system?
Neptune Jr ($270)

-wave maker?
Tunzes will take care of that

Realize that there is better equipment out there, but everything i've listed is top quality and reliable IME, and there is really no reason to go higher if you want to keep your price range in check. Realistically, say you plan to spend $3000 (about what the system would cost above), you will probably spend $4000, but it will be worth it in tho long run. $4000 is definitely realistic for a tank of that size with respectable equipment, and some automation. I'm putting nearly $4500 into a 70 (36x18x25) gallon i am building, but it will have a little more automation and only a single MH with 4 T5's.

Hope this Helps

Current Tank Info: Elos System 70, Giesemann Infiniti Lighting, Profilux Controller/Dosing, Tunze Flow, Bare Bottom, SPS Reef

Last edited by JGross4; 03/12/2007 at 06:38 AM.
JGross4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2007, 07:03 AM   #6
andyjd
International Nomad

I'd go with a Vortech's for flow...I'm running a G3 on my 90

HTH

Andy

andyjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2007, 08:44 AM   #7
chrismhaase
Registered Member

EVERYONE, THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT. -Haase.

uscharalph- I can't go with a 125 because I don't have the length on the wall. This is due to a nook and an AC thermostat on the wall were the tank will be.

jgross and andy, can you either post or pm me some of your setups-everything, stand to fuge to lights to accessories. I would like to see everything.

jgross- do you will like your starfire that much more. I know where I can get a regular 90rr tank w/ overflows for under 300. So the 1000 price tag for starfire seems like I gcould get alot of other stuff for the extra money there.

Here are my questions back to you guys or anyone else;
-under fuge- do you prebuy your baffles on ebay for $39, or do you make your own? If so I might inquire about at a price from you.
- live rock- I was thinking of making some "live" rock like the garf.com website suggests. Then I will use this as my base and then buy real live rock and place this along the top and it will see the other made live rock. In addition to this, I will use live sand.
-lights- Do you have a link so I can take a look at them? I can't find them on the net.
-flow- which Tunze?
- controller- is this the best, or are you just familar. If you do own it, would you step a little and buy the larger controller, or that not needed?

Thanks again guys, Chris

Old 03/12/2007, 08:59 AM   #8
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Jgross- so you like this Tunze better than a ASM or Deltec? Just asking for your opinion.

Old 03/12/2007, 09:23 AM   #9
andyjd
International Nomad

Stand & canopy, custom made, sorted thru Wet Pets in Montgomery.
90G Oceanic tank, huge Oceanic sump(its wider than the tank, and slightly shorter) added an extra baffle for the skimmer, so the level remains constant. Asm G3 with gate valve (easier to maintain level)
Eheim 1260 return pump. Two Vortech powerheads/flow. Lighting is IceCap 660 driving 4 T5 lamps (retrofit). Its all being controlled ny an Neptune AcJr & DC8, and i'm about to add a DC4hd to split the load better. and i'm probably going to add another two lamps on a triad ballast so i can simulate dusk/dawn. Moonlights from http://www.thelebos.com/.

More questions?

Old 03/12/2007, 09:31 AM   #10
luke33
Moved On

Since no one has commented about the LR and LS to much i'll take a stab at it. You can get LR off ebay drop shipped to you. 50lbs for 167 shipped. a very good deal. I'd go for 150lbs of LR and just get a good sand substrate, no need for LS, let your rock seed it and save a few hundred bux. By the time your cycle is finished your sand will be somewhat seeded and it won't take long after that. FWIW, my bud ordered the LR from ebay and it was awesome! I totally missed out when starting up on LR, but you do have to let it set a while and fully cure, but the hitchhikers were amazing. I"ll try and find the link for you.

luke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2007, 09:36 AM   #11
andyjd
International Nomad

I got my live rock from someone who was taking his tank down.

Old 03/12/2007, 09:37 AM   #12
luke33
Moved On

http://cgi.ebay.com/50lbs-Fiji-Live-...QQcmdZViewItem

There ya go, 50lbs x 3 = 498 bux....you could go with 100lbs and only have 332 to fork out...all depends on you.

Old 03/12/2007, 09:53 AM   #13
chrismhaase
Registered Member

luke and andy thanks for the help. I am tring to sort all this out. Luke- have you ever thought about making your own rock and then getting some real to seed it? I was thinking of making my own rock to save a whole lot of money. what do you think?

Old 03/12/2007, 10:02 AM   #14
andyjd
International Nomad

Buy some used rock

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1066317

Old 03/12/2007, 10:41 AM   #15
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Andy,

The only concern I would have about buying used rock would be taking in other people's problems ie disease, bad hitch hikers and so on. What do you think about this?

Old 03/12/2007, 10:41 AM   #16
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Andy,

Can you post some pictures of your tank and guts? Thanks, Chris

Old 03/12/2007, 10:44 AM   #17
chrismhaase
Registered Member

kb and everyone else,

PLEASE POST PICS OF TANK AND GUTS.

Old 03/12/2007, 11:03 AM   #18
andyjd
International Nomad

Old 03/12/2007, 11:14 AM   #19
andyjd
International Nomad

Quote:
Originally posted by chrismhaase
Andy,

The only concern I would have about buying used rock would be taking in other people's problems ie disease, bad hitch hikers and so on. What do you think about this?
If its coming from an existing tank, chances are your get less bad stuff

posted pictures...sorry its untidy, am currently working on the tank

Old 03/12/2007, 12:08 PM   #20
JGross4
Premium Member

chrismhaase,

I have class all day, but i'll snap some picture of my current tanks setup and also further explain my new tanks setup tonight.

Also as far as starfire goes, its nice, but thats not the real reason i bought the Tech Tank, i bought it mainly for the fact that it is eurobraced, as i will be running a single halide with 4 T5's. The other big plus is that the overflow only sticks out about 2 inches vs. AGA's roughly 4 inches. If i was you though, i would take the deal for $300 on the RR 90, unless money is no object. Heres a picture of a 120 Tech Tank just for an idea of what it's like:

Ocean Tech Tank

As for skimmers, I have never seen a Deltec in person, but from what i hear they are the best. However in their price range they are almost in a league of there own. I have seen and heard G3 in person, and it seems like a great skimmer, however if you are a noise freak like me(my tank runs silent, loudest thing is the slight hum of the ballast), it may be too loud. Its not that loud, dont get me wrong, but the tunze is almost dead silent, u have to put your ear right up to it to hear it.

You can check out this sites for lighting:
reefgeek.com
premiumaquatics.com
hellolights.com
there are a lot more....

For flow, from what i understand the vortecs are great pumps, but they are not controllable, thats why i am going to run tunzes on my new tank. For the 90 you could probably get away with the two 6055 nanostreams with a controller, they're not out yet, but will be in the next few weeks, might not be enough though, might have to go full size. Although, you know what might be great, is a one vortec and one 6055 on a controller, so that way you would get your main flow from the vortec, and the random/wave action from the 6055.

Be careful with used live rock, make sure you see it in the tank before you buy, you definitely dont want to get byprosis or dinos, just be careful if you go that route.

Here's a old picture of my current 36 gallon BF just to give you something to look at, i will take some pictures of the equipment setup later, aswell as fill you in on the new tank plans.

andyjd,
Nice tank!

Current Tank Info: Elos System 70, Giesemann Infiniti Lighting, Profilux Controller/Dosing, Tunze Flow, Bare Bottom, SPS Reef
JGross4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2007, 12:53 PM   #21
five.five-six
Registered Member.

iwaki has always made a nice pump (jap motor) for the price. quiet and do not forget about heat transfer/ electriic bill

five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2007, 02:00 PM   #22
chrismhaase
Registered Member

JGross, I like hellolights.com, I bouth all my DIY lighting from them for many different tanks. When we bought some ballast and lights from them earlier for a friend of mine, we ran into a problem and they walked us through. Good company, great support.

I would have to agree with you on the deltec skimmer opinion. What skimmer are you running that is really quite?

Old 03/12/2007, 02:01 PM   #23
chrismhaase
Registered Member

5-5-6, is that iwaki pump good, quite and has a low temp in operation or are you saying that it it is quite and good but not good on low temp sitautions?

Old 03/12/2007, 02:02 PM   #24
andyjd
International Nomad

Vortech controller out soon

Old 03/12/2007, 02:11 PM   #25
luke33
Moved On

Chris, if you can get a good buy used LR is great. As for bad hitchers, there's always the risk and it can usually be taken care of fairly easy. Would i worry about disease...not at all. If your going to be setting up the tank for a cycle, any disease, well, most diseases would be gone after 4-6weeks. Most people would worry about ick, and with no fish, its no worry if you don't add any for a 4-6 week period. I'd suggest nothing in your tank for this long anyhow. Maybe some cleaners after a few weeks but they can't host ick anyhow.