Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/07/2007, 01:27 PM   #1
4RJN
Registered Member

uv shield????

Hi I just stumbled on some info about a uv shield over metal halide bulbs. I was wondering how important this is. I have been running a ushio 250watt metal halide 10k at about 6" above the water I do not know if there is a problem doing this or not. Any thoughts???? Thanks

4RJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/07/2007, 08:37 PM   #2
pjf
Premium Member

Exclamation

Is your bulb the same as the one on this link: http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=MB6411?
If so, read the warning on paragraph #3.

Most of the "fried corals" reported by aquarists on this forum involve double-ended MH bulbs that went unshielded for a few hours. Nevertheless, here is a news article about eye damage resulting from a single-ended bulb similar to yours: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17857910/.

Last edited by pjf; 04/07/2007 at 08:45 PM.
pjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/07/2007, 09:28 PM   #3
Rhodesholar
Registered Member

If it is a double end it must be shielded. Not only for your corals sake but for you own.

If it is a mogul base, the shield is built into the bulb. No shield is necessary.

Do I need a cover shield between the lamp and the aquarium?
Metal halide lamps produce a large amount of UV and also have a potential of exploding. The single ended metal halide lamps have an outer jacket which eliminates most of the UV. However, they have an inherent risk of exploding and UL requires metal halide lamps to be enclosed. On double ended lamps there is no UV shield. Double ended lamps must have a glass shield or major eye injuries including blindness may occur.

Rhodesholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2007, 07:28 AM   #4
4RJN
Registered Member

It is a mogul base bulb. But it sounds like I should at least have a cover over it. Thanks

4RJN is offline   Reply With Quote