Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/18/2007, 04:42 AM   #1
mattsilvester
Registered Member

"off" period for skimmer?

Is there any real harm in switching off the system protein skimmer for 4 hours a day. I personally do not think it is a good idea. My motives for asking this are that in the evening, the continuous noise of the skimmer is becoming quite tiresome. So much so, that we are retiring to a different room, rather than enjoying our main sitting room (incidentally that means I cannot enjoy the tank to its full potential). I have noted in the past that several people have run their tanks (successfully) by running their skimmer at night only, and while they are at work.

To me, this represents a problem in that I would imagine that switching the skimmer off for a number of hours when the fish are most active that you will create an unbalance. Oxygen levels would surely go down, meaning pH would fall with it, organics would rise, and so on………… I am talking about switching the thing off from say 7pm until 11pm, daily – am I being over cautious or are my concerns well founded?

I do have a refugium, which would benefit from the “off” period and would also help counter the ill effects that I perceived would occur.

Thoughts?

Matt

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men."

"Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit" - no man is at all times wise.

"To a hammer, everything is a nail!"

Current Tank Info: RSM 130
mattsilvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2007, 05:38 AM   #2
Icefire
Seasoned reefer

just try to silence it?
what is noisy, pump? air tube?

Current Tank Info: 60g Cube, 120lbs live rocks, Hydra52 2x120W, 2 MP40+ 1 MP10 @ 70%, Phosban 550 GFO+Carbon, 200W Heater, SWC Skimmer, Kalk ATO, 150 gpd RODI
Icefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2007, 05:44 AM   #3
sjm817
On Yer left!

Its better to run it 24/7, but I dont think turning it off for a few hrs would be any big deal. I wouldn't think the Deltec is a noisy skimmer. As above, what is the noise issue?

Unread 05/18/2007, 05:56 AM   #4
Roy G. Biv
Premium Member

I found that a foam pad sitting on eggcrate fixed my skimmer hum.

Roy G. Biv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2007, 06:24 AM   #5
mattsilvester
Registered Member

Its a bit of gushing, a bit of humming, a bit of vibrating, a bit trickling, and mainly fizzing of the bubbles....... all the little bits add up, but to be fair, it is not a noisy skimmer, as skimmrs go - but for anyone to say that are near silent, then they must be half deaf. For example a tunze stream is near silent......

We have to turn the tv up at night to hear it properly, then the tv is too loud upstairs....... drama...... but its fair to say that I cannot reduce the noise any further, and as skimmers go, it is suprisingly quiet.

Thanks for the input - any more takers?

Matt

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men."

"Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit" - no man is at all times wise.

"To a hammer, everything is a nail!"

Current Tank Info: RSM 130
mattsilvester is offline   Reply With Quote