Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/18/2007, 08:29 PM   #1
Kengaroo131
Fish Crazy

tank build =D

well i finaly got off my lazy butt and decided to start cycling my 29 gallon tank. i'v always used the same sand in all my tank, its just the natral ocean sand, i personaly think live sand is just a money making scam since your sand turns live over time with seeding of liverock. is there really a differance in the grain type of sand you use? like crushed shells and arg. and all that good stuff. also i'v pretty much stuck to the same darn thing in all my tanks coral and clownfish i'd like to switch this one up a bit are my options really any bigger with a 29 gallon then a 10 gallon? i'd like to keep it live rock and fish only since coral is so expensive and take time to feed and care for. so my question is what exactly are my options for a 29 gallon? i'v read information all over the place but everything seems to be different. thanks in advance for all your help.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon mixed reef, 12 gallon bookshelf reef
Kengaroo131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2007, 08:46 PM   #2
drummereef
Team RC Member

Aragonite sand is preferred over crushed coral in almost all cases. Crushed coral will end up collecting detritus that causes nitrate problems. I prefer a grain size between 0.5-1.5mm. Caribsea makes good dry aragonite products. There's many options for a 29g tank. Check out the Nano Tank Forums for all kinds of ideas.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2007, 08:52 PM   #3
Kengaroo131
Fish Crazy

sweet deal! thanks i'v never had any problems with the fine grain sand so i just stuck with it.

Unread 07/19/2007, 06:27 PM   #4
Kengaroo131
Fish Crazy

update*

i added 11 pounds of live rock today. i will post pics up in a little bit. i'll be adding more live rock or maby base rock in a few days should i just get base rock and let the stuff i have now seed it? i think im going to go in that derection. i also figured out my stock possibilities. 2 firefish 1 clown goby and 2 perc clowns.

Unread 07/19/2007, 07:28 PM   #5
kevin vara
Registered Member

Re: update*

Quote:
Originally posted by Kengaroo131
i added 11 pounds of live rock today. i will post pics up in a little bit. i'll be adding more live rock or maby base rock in a few days should i just get base rock and let the stuff i have now seed it? i think im going to go in that derection. i also figured out my stock possibilities. 2 firefish 1 clown goby and 2 perc clowns.
sounds good!

kevin vara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2007, 12:38 PM   #6
Kengaroo131
Fish Crazy

here the pics. what do you all think about the blue sand? it was in there from my other setup i had i dont know if i want to keep it or change it so i'll let your guys decide.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Unread 07/20/2007, 12:42 PM   #7
Andrew
Registered Member

Intersting.... Switch out your background with a solid black or blue one. ( looks a lot better and makes the fish/corals stand out. )

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2007, 12:44 PM   #8
Kengaroo131
Fish Crazy

question.

where is a good place to get a healthy portion of base rock i'd like to make a hole lot of hiding places but i dont want to spend a billion dollors on live rock.

Unread 07/20/2007, 12:45 PM   #9
Kengaroo131
Fish Crazy

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
Intersting.... Switch out your background with a solid black or blue one. ( looks a lot better and makes the fish/corals stand out. )
yea im deffinatly going to do that just havent had the time yet.

Unread 07/20/2007, 12:48 PM   #10
Andrew
Registered Member

Re: question.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kengaroo131
where is a good place to get a healthy portion of base rock i'd like to make a hole lot of hiding places but i dont want to spend a billion dollors on live rock.
Billions? What lfs do you shop at? Get some lacerock. There's a few online vendors that sell baserock but after shipping costs, it's almost not worth it when you can find a lfs and get it for $1-$2 a pound.

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2007, 01:12 PM   #11
Kengaroo131
Fish Crazy

what are some of the online places

Unread 07/20/2007, 01:13 PM   #12
meco65
Registered Member

Well I did not think I would like the colored sand. But that blue looks great.

meco65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2007, 01:16 PM   #13
Kengaroo131
Fish Crazy

thanks! its 2 parts blue and one part white so i tried to lighten it up a bit. the cycle has officialy started.
nitrates 80 ppm
nitrites 0 ppm
ammonia .50 ppm
ph 8.2

Unread 07/20/2007, 01:20 PM   #14
mnash
Registered Member

Marco Rocks has the best base rock that I have been able to find. I placed an order a few weeks ago and I was very impressed. His website is www.marcorocks.com

mnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2007, 01:22 PM   #15
Kengaroo131
Fish Crazy

sweet thanks!