Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/26/2007, 08:09 AM   #1
raynist
Registered Member

Need a little help dialing in my Geo 612 - alk too high?

I have a Geo 612 with a Reef Fanatic CO2 Regulator/Solenoid, Pinpoint PH controller and Aqualifter pump.

I have the controller set to come on at a PH of 6.8 and shut off at a PH of 6.6. My calcium is right at 425 and has been for a few days, but my Alk seems to be creeping up a bit. It is now at 10.1 DKH and has been increasing by about 0.3 per day. I have my effluent rate down to a dribble. The bubble counter is around 90 bpm.

How can I control the Alk so it does not increase any more?

Thanks
Ray

raynist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/26/2007, 08:23 AM   #2
gasman059
The OG mad scientist

Re: Need a little help dialing in my Geo 612 - alk too high?

Quote:
Originally posted by raynist
I have a Geo 612 with a Reef Fanatic CO2 Regulator/Solenoid, Pinpoint PH controller and Aqualifter pump.

I have the controller set to come on at a PH of 6.8 and shut off at a PH of 6.6. My calcium is right at 425 and has been for a few days, but my Alk seems to be creeping up a bit. It is now at 10.1 DKH and has been increasing by about 0.3 per day. I have my effluent rate down to a dribble. The bubble counter is around 90 bpm.

How can I control the Alk so it does not increase any more?

Thanks
Ray
Ray what's your effluent rate/( exact amount in one minute- ml's use a shot glass to measure and write it down.
I would start at around 60bpm/60ml/min and take it from there providing that your params are ok in the beginning.
What media? coarse media can use a lower ph.
The trick here is to start slow and go slow. if this is the first couple of days forget about the ca. Cooncentrate on alk only.
This should help.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

gasman059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/26/2007, 08:26 AM   #3
raynist
Registered Member

It is coarse media, similar to the Gen-X coarse media.

I don't know my exact ML per minute, but will check tonight. I set it at 50ml a minute initially but lowered it thinking it would lower the alk level.

--Ray

raynist is offline   Reply With Quote