Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 10/17/2007, 10:27 AM   #1
javajaws
Premium Member

Dosing pump alternatives to a LMIII

A LMIII pump has only one speed. To vary the amount of water pumped the pump is just turned on longer or shorter throughout the day. However, the LM pumps are pretty noisy and when these things turn on you can hear them a mile away.

Are there any dosing pumps out there that are quieter and/or that might have an adjustable speed that can stay on all day?

Current Tank Info: 110g in-wall, ATI 8x54w T5, 2xMP40es, SRO XP-2000i, 2-part Ca/Alk, Apex controlled
javajaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2007, 10:55 AM   #2
PSam
Registered Member

Hm. My LM3 is dead silent, so are the remote pumps. Silent.

Old 10/17/2007, 11:02 AM   #3
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Adjustable speed peri pumps get pricey.

My cheapo aquamedic is silent when turning on/off. I would think the $300+ LMIII should also be so....

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

Current Tank Info: 150g reborn anemone reef. 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2007, 11:06 AM   #4
jt_redmist
Registered Member

I disagree. I've been running my LMIII for over a year, and it's silent.

John

jt_redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2007, 11:22 AM   #5
Ewan
Premium Member

are you guys nuts?!?

When I purchased a LMIII several years ago, everyone said they were silent. Well I've heard 3 different ones, and they all sounded exactly the same to me; like a noisy sewing machine while they were running.

Silent would imply no noise at all. If I put a LMIII in my bedroom, my wife would have a fit. It is most definately NOT silent.

Ewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2007, 11:32 AM   #6
Ewan
Premium Member

Ok, nuts is a bit harsh.... But I'm intrigued as to why people keep referring to the LMIII as silent. Quiet is relative, silent is not.

After my friend got one, I was amazed that hers sounded exactly the same as mine. A year or so later, and I heard another one in the back room of a LFS. I asked if they had a LMIII and the girl smiled. After hearing 3 that were alike, I assumed they all sounded this way.

Old 10/17/2007, 11:46 AM   #7
jt_redmist
Registered Member

ok ok ok, I guess silent is a poor word choice. Quiet is more like it. You can hear the motor turn, but it's not loud by any means.

John

jt_redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2007, 12:30 PM   #8
twon8
Formally registered membe

it is not silent, but it is hardly noisy. imo the tubing moving makes the most noise when running. if yours is making noise try cleaning it

Not building a wall but making a brick

Current Tank Info: 300g DD display, 60g frag tank
twon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2007, 12:31 PM   #9
twon8
Formally registered membe

Quote:
Originally posted by Ewan
are you guys nuts?!?

When I purchased a LMIII several years ago, everyone said they were silent. Well I've heard 3 different ones, and they all sounded exactly the same to me; like a noisy sewing machine while they were running.

Silent would imply no noise at all. If I put a LMIII in my bedroom, my wife would have a fit. It is most definately NOT silent.
if yours sounds like a sewing machine something is wrong; or you have the quietest sewing machine in the world

Not building a wall but making a brick

Current Tank Info: 300g DD display, 60g frag tank
twon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2007, 12:49 PM   #10
Ewan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by twon8
it is not silent, but it is hardly noisy. imo the tubing moving makes the most noise when running. if yours is making noise try cleaning it
I have cleaned it, several times. I've replaced the tubing set twice. I've owned it for 3 years now.

Like I mentioned, I've heard 3 different ones, and they all sounded EXACTLY the same to me. I didn't come up with the sewing machine comparison... I've actually heard many others mention this. It was so fitting that I adopted the nickname. Maybe spectrapure sends all of the noisy units to New England.

I'm trying to end the 'silent' rumor about litermeters. IMO, when people buy one based on others reporting that it's dead silent they're in for quite a disappointment.

Old 10/17/2007, 12:58 PM   #11
PSam
Registered Member

If you want to be literal about it, mine is 'extremely quiet'. I do not hear the remote pumps, nor the unit when they dose. Mine does not sound like a sewing machine. My hearing is fine as well. Looks like I just got lucky and have a solid, 'extremely quiet' unit.

Old 10/17/2007, 01:22 PM   #12
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

I think people just have to keep in mind that everyone has a different threshold for noise.

There was someone on here that thought the little CO2 bubble being injected and chopped up by the pump on a calcium reactor was excessively loud

FWIW, I don't think anyone should expect anything with a moving part to be literally silent.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

Current Tank Info: 150g reborn anemone reef. 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.

Last edited by SDguy; 10/17/2007 at 01:46 PM.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2007, 01:30 PM   #13
rick s
Premium Member

http://www.innovativeaquatics.com/
Nautilus II. Mine is very quiet, adjustable, etc.
I have no complaints about it at all.

Current Tank Info: Reefer Emeritus
rick s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2007, 01:40 PM   #14
carlos_fb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rick s
Nice one, how long have you been using it?

carlos_fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2007, 02:00 PM   #15
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Quote:
Rick – Also, do you dose two part with the two channel tubing or use the single high-volume single tubing set? Thanks!

Jay

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon, Marco Rocks, 8x80W ATI Powermodule, Apex, Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 external
jmait769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2007, 03:05 PM   #16
burris
Registered Member

You must be new around here. When someone on RC says a piece of equipment is "silent" they mean that it cannot be heard over the sound of 5000 GPH of splashing water and the 25 other "silent" pieces of equipment in their stand/room.

Fortunately, the LM can pump a long distance against a lot of head. An option may be to hide it somewhere and/or build an acoustic chamber and run 1/4" pipe to where you need it.

burris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2007, 04:20 PM   #17
rick s
Premium Member

I've had it running about 1 1/2 years now. I have used the high volume line set to run kalk. Now, I use the dual line set to run 2-part. I've used B-Ionic and Randy's DIY 2-part.

Mine is very quiet. If I turned off everything: pumps, fans, everything; you would have to open the cabinet door to hear it running.

Current Tank Info: Reefer Emeritus
rick s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2007, 04:21 PM   #18
kdblove_99
Registered Member

I got to look into that Nautilus II looks nice

kdblove_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2007, 04:45 PM   #19
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Quote:
I've had it running about 1 1/2 years now. I have used the high volume line set to run kalk. Now, I use the dual line set to run 2-part. I've used B-Ionic and Randy's DIY 2-part.

Mine is very quiet. If I turned off everything: pumps, fans, everything; you would have to open the cabinet door to hear it running.
Rick -Thanks! That is what I need to know. I’m with burris. I’m sure it has to be quieter than the rest of the equipment I have!

Jay

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon, Marco Rocks, 8x80W ATI Powermodule, Apex, Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 external
jmait769 is offline   Reply With Quote