Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/20/2007, 06:10 PM   #1
COLAMAN24
Registered Member

overflow question ona big tank

This is the first big tank-350 gallon-I've started. I have 2 overflows 6"x12"x6" with 2" bulkheads. My pump can do 7500 gph, question is are my overflows going to keep up? Or do i need to add another one, I have plenty of room.

COLAMAN24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2007, 07:37 PM   #2
customcolor
Registered Member

is that 2 bulk heads per overflow or total? and what size are the bulk heads?

Great stuff====$5 a can
24-48 hour cure
Epoxy to cover it====little as $5 for small projects or up to $100+ for larger projects
and another 24-48 hour cure
I hope you covered it well cuz if you didnt it will start to break down in a few months
sand is another added cost to cover up the yellow.

Pond foams====$9-$15 a can
24-48 hour cure
DONE! You can cover it with sand if you want to (YOU DONT HAVE TO) though but thats added cost again

Current Tank Info: 75 gal under way
customcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2007, 02:21 PM   #3
COLAMAN24
Registered Member

there is one 2 inch and one 1 1/2 in each bulkhead. the 1 1/2 is for returns but i can run hte returns behind the tank if i need to run both for drains.

Unread 10/21/2007, 02:28 PM   #4
kgross
Premium Member

My suggestion to you would be to go with a smaller return pump and use your big pump for a closed loop. It will work much much better, you will have less fighting with microbubbles in the tank, plus you tank will be a lot quiter.

Besides that I'm not sure if a 1 inch and 1 1/2 in each overflow will handle 3500 gph. I setup a tank that has 2 inch in each overflow and that tank has a 3000 gph pump which we can't quite run wide open. I am guessing we are getting around 2000 -2300 gph total, so around 1000 to 1200 gph per overflow. Any more and it gets way to loud.

Kim

America will only be the Land of the Free as long as it is the Home of the Brave.

Current Tank Info: AGA 180gallon tank, VHO/MH lighting, DSB, calcium reactor, Also a 7 Gallon Nano softy tank, and a 32 gallon cube
kgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2007, 10:12 AM   #5
Chris Witort
Registered Member

I agree with "kgross" 7500 gph is alot of water and it would be noisy, I doubt 2 2" drains could handle it. The other consideration is that if anything goes wrong it will go wrong fast and will get messy!

Chris Witort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2007, 10:19 AM   #6
rustybucket145
Registered Member

I'd get a 3k ish pump for return and use the 7k for one bad *** closed loop! Get more for your money!!

Ok, Im jealous now....

Current Tank Info: 2 175w MH, 2 VH0 Actinics, Lots of Live Rock, tons of copepods, a Fat Mandarin Goby, Niger Trigger, Yellow Tang, Falco Hawkfish, Bi-Color Pseudo, numerous soft, SPS and LPS Corals
rustybucket145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2007, 11:15 AM   #7
kgross
Premium Member

I would not even run a 3000 gph pump as a return pump. I would setup my sump system to maximize your skimming. Have your return pump flow just slightly more water than your skimmer processes per hour. Setup your sump so that the water from the overflows goes into a compartment to feed the skimmer, and then the output of the skimmer goes to the next compartment. The only flow flow from the input to the output will be through the skimmer and the slight bit of extra flow that can overflow from the skimmer intake section to the ouput section. Then have the output section go on through the sump. This way you are feeding the most concentrated gunk into the skimmer so it will have a much easier time to remove it. Plus you can make your overflow/sump setup completely quite.

Kim

America will only be the Land of the Free as long as it is the Home of the Brave.

Current Tank Info: AGA 180gallon tank, VHO/MH lighting, DSB, calcium reactor, Also a 7 Gallon Nano softy tank, and a 32 gallon cube
Unread 10/22/2007, 12:03 PM   #8
COLAMAN24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rustybucket145
I'd get a 3k ish pump for return and use the 7k for one bad *** closed loop! Get more for your money!!

Ok, Im jealous now....
Yeah i've been talking to few other on other sites, Gunna buy a different return pump and use the 7500 for the closed loop.

Just ordered a OM 8-way....

Unread 10/22/2007, 12:09 PM   #9
kgross
Premium Member

Which version of the 8 way did you order? I don't think it is really large enough to handle 7500 gph without putting some restriction on the pump unless you have it with multiple outlets open at a time.

Kim