Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/03/2007, 08:36 PM   #1
burton14e7
Registered Member

Real Flex PVC?

I read that not all flex pvc pipe is the same and if the deal is too good it probably isn't the real thing. Can anybody tell me if this is the real stuff? I only need a few feet for my drain. Also can you use the same pvc cement on this stuff? Oatey regular clear?

http://www.flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cg...VC_By_The_Foot

burton14e7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2007, 09:04 PM   #2
Putawaywet
20 and over club

I've bought from them 3 or 4 times and never had a probem with their stuff. All good quality as far as I can tell.

I used several kinds of pvc cement and all seems to work well.

The only thing to keep in mind is flexible pvc (at least theirs) tends to have a tighter fit when going into a socket, so be prepared for a one-shot fit with little room for error. Not getting the hose fully seated in the socket will probably be your most common problem.

Brett

Current Tank Info: A big box of water with some stuff in it.
Putawaywet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2007, 11:33 PM   #3
burton14e7
Registered Member

Thanks a ton.

Current Tank Info: Currently awaiting relapse.
burton14e7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2007, 09:22 PM   #4
carlisimo1969
Registered Member

I just started using the flex pvc, love it. I was advised to use a specific cement that holds better to the flex (the lablel says Oatley Medium Clear-Flex PVC Cement), I still use the same same cleaner and purple primer. The flex cut's way down on vibrations and gets rid of a few elbows.

Current Tank Info: 70g corner reef, 2-250 Pheonix 14k DE, 75g basement sump, 75g basement frag tank, Reeflo Hammerhead, OMSupersquirt, Aquaeuro 265recirc
carlisimo1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2007, 07:27 AM   #5
jcarson999
Registered Member

Can't recall the name, but there is a specific cement and cleaner for the flex. It's supposed to be more accomodating to the flexing of the 'flex pipe' and so less likely to have the connection leak. I'm not sure it's necessary, but to be safe I'm using it on the install I'm currently working on. Works the same, and only cost a few bucks, so I figured why not ...

-jim

jcarson999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2007, 09:38 AM   #6
Prater
Registered Member

I am using Pool-Spa cement from the local pool supply. It is for Flex and Ridgid pipe. It is fast setting and blue in color. I also like using flex pipe for easier connections.