Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/12/2007, 02:10 PM   #1
Jim_S
Timo Boll

osmolator questions

I've been thinking about picking up one of these to use as a water top-off. I will hook it up to a resevior (30 gallons), but the resevoir will not be fed automatically.

So my question is, if the resevoir drys up before I refill it, will the dosing pump keep going until it burns out? Is there some sort of "dry run" protection on the pump? Or do most folks run these with a fully automated system?

Thanks!!!

Jim

Bradley Nowell

Current Tank Info: We're recreating the ocean in our livings rooms. With that said, I've had some ups and downs.
Jim_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2007, 02:17 PM   #2
Phyxius
Moving About

The top-off system has a built in timer/sensor that wont let the pump run long before it shuts it off automatically. Roger will probably answer with a more detailed answer but this is the quick reply. Great system and use it on all my tanks.

I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.
W. C. Fields

Current Tank Info: JUST SOLD AND TOOK DOWN ALL 11/10---210g AGA, 80g sump, Tunze Streams. Tunze ATO,RK Elite Controller, RKII,Dart, GEO Calcium& Nielsen Kalk Reactors,GEO media reactor, Kaleini Rock, 3-250 watt 14k EVC , VHO..... 34g Solana and 60g cube
Phyxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2007, 04:06 PM   #3
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The pump wouldn't really be harmed by running dry, it is a simple bilge pump. It only runs 10 minutes and then would shut off.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2007, 04:41 PM   #4
Jim_S
Timo Boll

Thanks Roger! I know the pumps are inexpensive anyways.

I think I will order one later this week

Bradley Nowell

Current Tank Info: We're recreating the ocean in our livings rooms. With that said, I've had some ups and downs.
Jim_S is offline   Reply With Quote