Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11/18/2007, 06:00 PM   #1
DamnPepShrimp
Moved On

Firefish missing dorsal fin?

I recently bought a pair of firefish and noticed one of them had no dosal fin! I thought it was just keeping it down as a way of submitting to the other firefish. He seems more shy but seems ok. Will it grow back or am I stuck with a messed up poor firefish?

DamnPepShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2007, 06:32 PM   #2
TheSaltwaterGuy
Registered Member

Never heard of anything like this happening. Do you know how it happened? Any bully in the tank that did it?

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on." - Robert Bloch
TheSaltwaterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2007, 06:48 PM   #3
DamnPepShrimp
Moved On

I know how meek they are, but I noticed the one didn't have his fin up. They are in my 40g fuge with a small 2" kole tang that I bought along with the gobies. Any suggestions? Will it grow back?

Old 11/18/2007, 07:23 PM   #4
philter4
Registered Member

It will grow back on a couple of conditions, if it is a birth defect or there is damage to the body at the base where the fin is that would cause permanent damage to the cells that regrow the fin, it won't grow back. Did you notice if the fin was there when you perchased it? One more thing fire fish usually don't like each other and if they are not a pair one can stress the other one out to the point that it doesn't do well. In the wild they are very territorial and live either single or in mated pairs. I don't think they would tear each other up though so the dominant one probably didn't chew the fin off.

Current Tank Info: 1 fish and 1 reef new 24 gal current nano
philter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2007, 09:09 PM   #5
DamnPepShrimp
Moved On

I didn't notice the fish having any damage, but didn't look really either. I noticed that one had its fin down when it was in the bag. I've been watching them and haven't seen any aggression. Hopefully it isn't a birth defect, it looks like the whole entire fin is gone, so I don't know about it growing back now. This sucks, those dorsal fins really make the fish complete.