Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02/24/2008, 12:37 PM   #1
onad75
Registered Member

Powder brown and Powder Blue

I have a 3.5" Powder blue tang on my 125g and Im thinking of getting a Powder brown tang, do you think they will get along or no?. My powder blue is only a couple of days in my tank.

Thanks

onad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2008, 12:56 PM   #2
Gwynhidwy
Meat Popsicle

Probably not. The powder blue will more likely than not be very aggressive towards a powder brown. It might work, but odds are against.

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God. -- Aeschylus
Gwynhidwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2008, 01:26 PM   #3
al abaqueta
Registered Member

Hey there, If you can set up a quarantine tank for your powder blue and then introduce both the powder brown and the powder blue at the same time into your display tank,that would increase your chances of the two co-habitating together. Hope this helps. Al

Current Tank Info: Rare corals 90 gallon display 2 250watt 20k MH, radium bulbs, and 4 t5 actinics,2 Vortech wavemakers , H S protein skimmer, H S nitrate reactor, 24 gallon with 250 watt 20K MH
al abaqueta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2008, 02:02 PM   #4
IPowderBlueTang
Registered Member

Both are the same shape and look alike, they might fight, but you will never know unless you try it. I would take the Powderblue out when you get your Powderbrown and rearrange the rock work and introduce both into the tank at the same time and keep a close eye on them for aggression! If it get too bad in a few days remove one!

IPowderBlueTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2008, 02:27 PM   #5
onad75
Registered Member

thanks alot for the advice, i think thats a great idea to hold them both on a separate tank and introduce both into my tank at the same time after a week.....

onad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2008, 04:17 PM   #6
t5Nitro
Registered Member

I can't believe you are getting advice to go ahead and do this. These types of tangs are shy when introduced, but become very aggresive when established. I had a powder brown tang that got beat up badly by a yellow tang. I had to separate the two in the tank for a week until the yellow settled down (Not even same type of fish). The powder brown would then be bullied a bit by the yellow, but not that much to do anything. He finally was established in the tank and started to eat more and more. My foxface at night would get mauled by this fish and when the yellow tang approached him with fins flared, the powder brown didn't step down until the yellow tang swam away first. Very very bad choice to introduce these tangs in a 125g. (I had my above fish in a 125). Hope this helps with someone with the same size tank as you.

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon/40 sump
t5Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2008, 05:27 PM   #7
sean48183
Registered Member

powder tang's occupy patches on the reef not like naso's, yellows, sailfins and the sort which cruise all over the place eating algae. That occupation of a space in one spot on the reef makes them very, very aggressive. I think 2 would be a bad idea and any new fish you add could be in trouble.

sean48183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2008, 05:36 PM   #8
t5Nitro
Registered Member

^^^^^ Not even for new fish, the two powder tangs will battle it out most likely until one is gone or removed.

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon/40 sump
t5Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2008, 06:59 PM   #9
LobsterMan
Registered Member

It might work if your powder blue has only been in there for a couple days. If they start to fight place a piece of glass between the 2 fish and let them get used to eachother.

LobsterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2008, 07:08 PM   #10
gasman059
The OG mad scientist

very very bad idea!

Current Tank Info: Officially lurking!
gasman059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2008, 07:51 PM   #11
yoboyjdizz
Registered Member

I agree that this is a bad idea. If there is any two tangs you don't want to mix together these are it.

yoboyjdizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2008, 08:56 PM   #12
IPowderBlueTang
Registered Member

I have seen two Powderblues in a 240 gal and they seen to get along great and don't notice each other, but the owner put them in together at the same time. I was told they squabble abit at first and now the get along!

I also know another reefer that has 5 different pairs of clown of different types that live in the same 120 gal in different anemones and they all get along. I was surprise when I first saw this for the first time. But I have two pairs of clowns before in my 120 gal with no problems!

All you can do is try something new and if it works great!

Last edited by IPowderBlueTang; 02/24/2008 at 09:05 PM.
IPowderBlueTang is offline   Reply With Quote