Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 05/12/2008, 08:23 AM   #1
YankyTexan
Registered Member

Canister filter instead of sump?

QUESTION: Would a large canister filter (ie. Eheim 2260) work in place of a sump?

BACKGROUND: I have a 150g FOWLR in-wall setup which has been running for approximately 6 months. For various reasons adding a sump is NOT practical. The tanks 3 main in-habitants are still in their juvenile stages. Water readings/filtration is not an issue at the present. I am concerned about the load the inhabitants will place on the system when they mature.

So, if you could NOT have a sump would a large canister filter filled with LR rubble be better than nothing? I'm assuming the 2260 would be better than the 2262 since the flow rate is about one half.

Thoughts, comments and/or observations are welcomed. Thank you in advance for your input.

YankyTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2008, 11:21 AM   #2
Pandafish
Registered Member

It will work and it's better than nothing... what are you using for filtration now?

I run a 305 on my 20L nano and my brother in law runs 2 canister filters on his 55.

If it were me I would run two 2250's, one for redundancy and two flexibility.

I would run more than just live rock in at least one, you need at least some carbon. You'll also need a really good HOB skimmer.

The thing about canister filters is you need to clean them like religion, no exceptions, or your going to have chemistry problems.

Pandafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2008, 11:41 AM   #3
HarleyDude
Premium Member

Yes, alot more work than they are worth, IMO. A sump, or HOB type of an operation would be the two alternatives.

HarleyDude is offline   Reply With Quote