Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05/12/2008, 11:24 AM   #1
downhillbiker
Registered Member

Anemone Tentacles Falling Off

For some reason the tentacles on my Condi Anemone keep falling off. They dont do it often, but every few weeks I see a small tip lying on the bottom of the tank. The anemone is SUPER healthy and I dont really think this is a problem, just curious why it is doing it, or if this is normal.

This is a mature tank with successful SPS, LPS, Crocea Clam, ect. Water params are perfect, and nothing picks on the anemone.

Here's the Anemone: Looks Healthy

Here is a close up of the tip:

Current Tank Info: 200g Marineland Deep Dimension (Lumenmax Reflectors/Dual PFO 400w/Radium 20K) and 2xFrag Tanks (One TEK T5 fixture and one MH, Galaxy/Phoenix) on same system w/100g sump w/6"x100g DSB, AquaC EV-1000 Skimmer, Reeflo Barracuda return pump
downhillbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2008, 11:32 AM   #2
kar93
Registered Member

Maroons are often known to do this to their hosts.

kar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2008, 12:18 PM   #3
glxtrix
Registered Member

or if you have any shrimp in there....like peppermints.

glxtrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2008, 12:21 PM   #4
sk8rreefgeek
Registered Member

+1 on the maroon. i've found 2 tips on the sb in the last month or so. Both my nems are really healthy too

any ideas why they'd do this?

I also have an emerald crab, but I don't think he did it

Current Tank Info: Drilled 55g, 14g sump, coralife 125 SS: mated pair of b&w misbar clowns, ywg
sk8rreefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2008, 12:57 PM   #5
downhillbiker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by glxtrix
or if you have any shrimp in there....like peppermints.
cleaner shrimp thats it. i have a good feeling that he couldnt do that. i also have emeralds, but they dont go near it. it is probably the maroon. i dont think he is hurting anything, right?

Current Tank Info: 200g Marineland Deep Dimension (Lumenmax Reflectors/Dual PFO 400w/Radium 20K) and 2xFrag Tanks (One TEK T5 fixture and one MH, Galaxy/Phoenix) on same system w/100g sump w/6"x100g DSB, AquaC EV-1000 Skimmer, Reeflo Barracuda return pump
Old 05/12/2008, 01:15 PM   #6
glxtrix
Registered Member

Ok, then it's most likely the maroon. Lots of clowns will do this to their host. they actually suck on the tentacles as a dominance thing (i believe) sometimes they bite and the result will be in a piece. Shouldn't really "hurt" then nem, esp if its a healthy specimen, such as yours I can see.

glxtrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2008, 02:14 PM   #7
seapug
Registered Member

probably is the maroon. It may be okay, but Condy anemones are not natural hosts for clownfish (Condys are from the Atlantic, Clownfish from the Pacific) so it may not be appreciating the clownfish abuse. If it doesn't seem to be suffering it's probably fine, but keep an eye on it.

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon custom Marineland DD peninsular tank. LPS dominated mixed reef. Previous 90 gallon mixed reef TOTM April 2009.
seapug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2008, 02:20 PM   #8
roushracer
Registered Member

Same thing happened to me, I have a huge condi and it eventually lost every single one of its tentacles and I couldn't figure out why.

Well I sold the maroon, and now the condi has grown back all its tentacles and is back to what it was originally so I'm pretty sure it was the maroon doing it.

Here's a pic of them when I had the maroon, fish is about 4-5" and condi was over a foot fully open.

Old 05/12/2008, 02:29 PM   #9
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sk8rreefgeek

any ideas why they'd do this?
Because they're the spawn of the devil

Seriously though, I have a suspicion it has something to do with the fact that Clownfish and Condylactis anemones aren't a natural pairing. Perhaps the anemone is recating to the clown bothering it by releasing tentacles or perhaps the clown is bothered that the anemone isn't be a very hospitable host and getting rough with the anemone as a result. While I've never kept the two together I've seen several "experts" suggest that the pairing of Condylactis with Clowns usually results in the death of one or the other.

Peter Eichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2008, 02:31 PM   #10
Reefnerd9
Registered Member

what a punk. I wonder why they'd do that

Reefnerd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2008, 02:37 PM   #11
sk8rreefgeek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Eichler
Because they're the spawn of the devil
LOL. but I have a GBTA, and a RBTA. So the Condy thing doesn't explain it for mine.
I'd guess it might be a way to show dominance. My GSM feeds his nem, so it strange that he'd do that. Like ripping a sheet off your bed or something

freakin maroons, gotta love em

Current Tank Info: Drilled 55g, 14g sump, coralife 125 SS: mated pair of b&w misbar clowns, ywg
sk8rreefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2008, 02:52 PM   #12
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sk8rreefgeek
LOL. but I have a GBTA, and a RBTA. So the Condy thing doesn't explain it for mine.
I'd guess it might be a way to show dominance. My GSM feeds his nem, so it strange that he'd do that. Like ripping a sheet off your bed or something

freakin maroons, gotta love em
Which brings us back to Maroon Clowns being devilspawn

Peter Eichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2008, 05:20 PM   #13
downhillbiker
Registered Member

i believe its probably the clown. it is fairly rare, so i will leave it for now. the clown has 2 condi anemones one on each side of the tank and has been paired up for about 8 months. the nems keep getting healthier, along with the clown.