Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > International Club Forums > Okinawa Saltwater Gang
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 05/14/2008, 09:01 PM   #1
Lionel
Premium Member

calcium reactor / co2 tank

I'm planning out a new system, and was wondering if anyone knew where co2 tanks could be filled on the island? do any of you run a calcium reactor here?

Thanks

Lionel

Lionel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2008, 09:51 PM   #2
jansenwrasse
Registered Member

Find the company that delivers the Coke or Pepsi products to the base. They will have it for the large dispensers in the mess.

Good luck

Current Tank Info: I am allergic to seafood ... yup its that bad epi pen and all so I cant have a tank.
jansenwrasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2008, 12:08 AM   #3
Lionel
Premium Member

I didnt even think of the soda machines. Thanks for the tip. I was thinking of fire extinguishers maybe, but I dont think they fill them on base at all, i think they come from the states precharged.

I will look into the drink machine stuff, anyone else have any insight about where to find the stuff on the island?

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon Display
Old 06/11/2008, 06:44 PM   #4
Sango-chu
Registered Member

I tried the Coke people. If you don't sell their soda, yuou're not getting a bottle. I had an old connection that was a club manager and he would let me "hold" a full bottle and then I would return it once enmpty and get another from him. Coke didn't charge them for the CO2 casue they sold the soda. He left the island and I am bback to square one.

Want to do it the legit way so I already recommend in the other site Lionel to contact megumi-san at PetBox to get the name of the company that they get their Oz from...these are the same companies that provide Fod grade CO2, acethylene, and O2 to businesses and medical offices on Island.

Current Tank Info: Small 70 gal
Sango-chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2008, 06:52 PM   #5
Conky
Registered Member

Maybe try some paintball places...I'm sure that's caught on in Japan. Quality might be low...although if CO2 supply is that bad in Japan, maybe everything available is medical grade. Medical supply and computer-chip mfg. would be my only other thoughts.

Conky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2008, 08:45 PM   #6
Lionel
Premium Member

paintball CO2 is a bad idea, as it is usually not oil free, like food or medical grade would be.

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon Display
Old 10/22/2008, 10:45 AM   #7
james37128
Registered Member

curious if anyone found a solution?

Current Tank Info: Downgraded to 30 gallon with t5's and minimum equipment, stocking only fish and rics.
james37128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2008, 04:36 PM   #8
Sango-chu
Registered Member

You're up in Tokyo and maybe able to go to a doctor/dentist ofice and ask them for the mnumber of the people tat supply them. I (with my Japanese speaking wife of course, went to pet stores and asked them for the number of the guys that provided their gas for them. Called the compnay as was told that 10,000 yen deposit for the bottle and 5,000 yen refills was all it took to get a tall tank of CO2...worth a try in my opnion. I am in the process of completint my 275 gallon tank set p and will have to eventually do this...for now I still have a 15 pound green coke tank that hasn't been used, but once that runs out, I will start this program. Will keep you posted though I bet you can make it happen before I do...good luck.

Old 10/29/2008, 05:18 AM   #9
frostbcc
Registered Member

Guys I might know where to get CO2 from on the island. I have a phone number and a name of the place but I seem to misplace the paper. I will post tomorrow afternoon with the phone number and name. This place is close to Kadena pass the Kadena rotary going towards gate#3. It's close by a new restaurant that was build not to long ago. I think its frequented by tourist and they can see over on Kadena from that restaurant. Like I said I will email you the info tomorrow.

frostbcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2008, 06:30 PM   #10
frostbcc
Registered Member

Here is the phone number to that place I was telling you all about, its 098-956-2040. It is open from 0800-1700 weekdays only. The name of the company is Okano, but it is written in Katakana - ƒIƒJƒm. So look for this sign to find the store. They don't speak any english so brush up on your japanese.@They sell and rent the tanks as well. I hope now those of you who wants to use a calcium reactor can with this information. Take care and good reefing.

Old 10/29/2008, 06:34 PM   #11
frostbcc
Registered Member

crap the kanji did not come out..sorry all. Just try and find the place and take someone who can read japanese.

Old 11/18/2008, 06:11 AM   #12
james37128
Registered Member

Well I found a source for co2 bottles a liquor store, 5000 deposit and 2900 to fill it up. BUT, US regulators will not fit. The threads or different, and now I can't find a regulator in japan that has 2 gauges and is not the cheapo (not in costs but build). Anybody solve this one yet?

Current Tank Info: Downgraded to 30 gallon with t5's and minimum equipment, stocking only fish and rics.
james37128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2008, 04:36 PM   #13
Sango-chu
Registered Member

You might be able to order a converter bushing/fitting like this
. I found it at this link
http://www.electrical-brass-componen...pter_plug1.htm

Hope this helps and good luck.