Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/20/2008, 04:08 PM   #1
heyfredyourhat
Premium Member

Want to raise Ca and add kalk

I use IO salt and tested the Ca at 320. I bought turbo Ca and the calculator says to add 30 tsp. of the stuff. So threw 30 tsp. in a bucket of RO and in the next few days I am going to manually add it few tsp every so often. Is this okay?? Can I also just add the turbo calcium to the salt when I mix new SW??

And correct me if I am wrong, kalk is used to maintain Ca and Alk? So how would I implement a dosing regiment? Can I just add it to my top off reservoir? And how much?

heyfredyourhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2008, 06:28 PM   #2
jansenwrasse
Registered Member

Adding the turbo Ca to a bucket of Ro is fine you can add more than a couple of tsp at a time if you choose to do it that way.

You can mix the turbo Ca with new mixed saltwater but wait until the water is clear and the salt is fully dissolved then test.

Kalk:
What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

Hope this helps

Current Tank Info: I am allergic to seafood ... yup its that bad epi pen and all so I cant have a tank.
jansenwrasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2008, 07:06 PM   #3
heyfredyourhat
Premium Member

I will read that.

But what if i were to add a measured amount of turbo Ca to the actual salt (if i were to keep using IO) so i could just make SW with proper Ca levels.

Unread 07/21/2008, 12:24 AM   #4
9501gle
Registered Member

Is IO the only salt mix you have access to.

Current Tank Info: 240 gal reef tank, 3 xMH400EB Icecap ballasts,12000K Reeflux bulbs in Lumenarc III reflectors, Aquatic Systems Design Kalk Reactor & Skimmer. 5500 gph Hammer Head Pump, Neptune Jr Controller, !00 gal Rubbermaid tank 2/3 full for sump.
9501gle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2008, 06:07 AM   #5
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

It is fine to add turbo calcium to IO up to a normal reef level . I do that using Dowflake. I also boost magnesium that way using MAG flake.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2008, 08:17 AM   #6
heyfredyourhat
Premium Member

I was going to start using seachem salt, but IO is cheaper. Not sure if i boost teh Ca in IO that it will stil be cheaper though!!

Unread 07/21/2008, 08:28 AM   #7
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Not sure if i boost teh Ca in IO that it will stil be cheaper though!!

It will if you use Dowflake, since that can be cheaper than salt mix. it will decrease the cost to reach the same salinity

Unread 07/21/2008, 08:38 AM   #8
heyfredyourhat
Premium Member

I dont think it is easy for me up here to get dow flake, so i opt for turbo Ca instead. And i forget what i paid for it.

Unread 07/21/2008, 08:49 AM   #9
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Some people have found it at the Canadian store Country Depot, if you have any of those around.

Unread 07/21/2008, 11:15 AM   #10
9501gle
Registered Member

I used Randys 2 part recipe with great success but also had problems getting the dow flake. By the time you pay shipping it really cuts into the savings. Also from what I've been reading about the high boron content now I believe I'll wait and see how it affects other reef tanks before I use it again. I have since switched to a different mix that already has enough cal. and mag. Since switching I must say my corals do look better, and its easier, no mixing of chemicals. I cannot say the improvement is due to changing mixes only, I have also made several other changes recently. I also did a lot of water changes when I switched mix. Also I have taken cal rx and kalk rx offline to lower alk. I believe this has been the greatest contributer to increase in coral health.

Current Tank Info: 240 gal reef tank, 3 xMH400EB Icecap ballasts,12000K Reeflux bulbs in Lumenarc III reflectors, Aquatic Systems Design Kalk Reactor & Skimmer. 5500 gph Hammer Head Pump, Neptune Jr Controller, !00 gal Rubbermaid tank 2/3 full for sump.
Unread 07/21/2008, 12:10 PM   #11
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

By the time you pay shipping it really cuts into the savings. Also from what I've been reading about the high boron content now I believe I'll wait and see how it affects other reef tanks before I use it again.

Bromide, not boron, and the mail order sites sell it without the excess bromide.

For boosting a salt mix, I show here that even for the new stuff with bromide, the bromide boost is trivially small and definitely not a concern:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1275153

Unread 07/21/2008, 12:37 PM   #12
9501gle
Registered Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me Randy. As always great info.

Unread 07/21/2008, 01:20 PM   #13
heyfredyourhat
Premium Member

Okay my second question was about dripping kalk. I read the DIY kalk dripper article, but how "safe" is this method? It would seem very hard to set a drip rate with that setup.... I read some ppl also drip one drop per second and others drip one drop per 10 seconds...?? What can i do to figure out what my needs are??

Unread 07/21/2008, 01:38 PM   #14
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

The exact drip rates and such are not critical, and overdoses rarely lead to tank crashes. It is not a method to be feared, IMO. All you really need to do is spread out the addition so that the pH does not get too high.

Unread 07/21/2008, 01:40 PM   #15
9501gle
Registered Member

Well there are several ways to add kalk. Some people I know, who have very nice tanks by the way, just mix it up and dump it in. Although I dont reccomend this method it seems to work fine for them. When I firt started I would mix up a 2 gal jug and drip it in overnight. Didnt see any real noticeable results. Then I set up a kalk rx and gravity fed it from my RODI water storage container. I then put a float switch in my sump and used this for all top off. Worked great but lately I've found that this system along with a ca rx caused my alk to get to high. 12.2dkh. So now I am only dripping the kalk at night. Will have to wait and see how this works. The best way to add kalk to a tank is to spend the money and get a good dosing pump. Also to be noted, IMO kalk is used only to retain ca. levels, not raise them.