Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/05/2008, 11:19 AM   #1
Octoberfest
Registered Member

Moray Eels....give me the FAQ's

I'm thinking about going with a FOWLR tank and would like to keep some type of Moray Eel in there, just not sure which one or if my tank is even big enough.

I have a 72 gallon bowfront with a 20 gallon sump. Top Fathom 200A skimmer (rated for up to 200 gallons), plenty of flow.

Now before I start a reef and spend money on corals I figured I'd ask about the eels.

So for my questions.

Are there any eels that I could keep in a 72, if so which ones?

Are there any eels I could house with clown fish, tangs etc?

I know I need a secure lid, but what else do I need to know?

Octoberfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2008, 06:19 PM   #2
LisaD
That's not a salmon

As long as you have a secure lid, a snowflake moray would be a great addition. there are a few others you could keep, but that would be my first choice. snowflake morays, as long as they are well fed, are generally safe with good sized fishes (that don't easily fit in their mouths).

You don't have enough space for a zebra moray, there is no eel more fish-safe.

If you want more than just a few fish in the tank, you'll need to get a smaller eel. But if the eel is the centerpiece, I think a snowflake is the best choice.

There is a great chapter on moray eels in Scott Michael's book Reef Fishes volume 1. Wetwebmedia.com has some good articles too.

Current Tank Info: tankless at the moment
LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2008, 07:09 PM   #3
Octoberfest
Registered Member

Yeah I saw the Zebra today and fell in love, wish I had a bigger tank, but no way am I upgrading any time soon.

Unread 08/06/2008, 03:42 AM   #4
LisaD
That's not a salmon

I've had my zebra moray many years, and they are nice fish. However, I think a snowflake will be out more. My zebra hides a lot. I don't know if it's 3.5 feet or 4, since it's never all the way out.

Current Tank Info: tankless at the moment
LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2008, 05:44 AM   #5
Octoberfest
Registered Member

Is it possible ot keep a snowflake with other fish like say clowns? What about things like a cleaner shrimp?

I'm thinking I need two tanks

Unread 08/06/2008, 05:52 AM   #6
laf-reef
Registered Member

I agree that a snowflake would be a great choice for your set-up. Their natural prey however is shrimp so the cleaner shrimp will not survive long. As Lisa stated they are generally OK with clownfish provided that the clowns are larger than the eels' mouth. As with any other animal they have their own personality and some are more aggressive than others. Here are some tips: feed a variety of foods (krill, shrimp, clams, silversides, etc), use PVC pipes within the rockwork to create secure tunnels for the eel to hide in, and install a tight closing lid (they are great at escaping).

laf-reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2008, 06:33 AM   #7
FMarini
10 & Over Club

Just the FAQs man---
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/fm/index.php
keeping fish/reef safe eels (snowflakes, zebras, chainlinks)

Unread 08/06/2008, 09:41 AM   #8
Grouperhead
Registered Member

I have a banded moray - e. polyzona - just because I wanted something different than a snowflake. Mine still has the juvie banding as is close to 22" now. I'm hoping it keeps it forever, the banding looks a lot like a zebras but not as fine. The eel didn't eat for close to 4 weeks when first added to the tank (escaped the first night and out of water an estimated 5+ hrs) but now eats everything. Chainlinks are anoter cool, smaller eel. Firetails also.

Grouperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2008, 08:01 PM   #9
saltyguy51
Registered Member

I have a white mouth moray about 18" and does fine with other fish on the larger side

saltyguy51 is offline   Reply With Quote