Reef Central Online Community
SpectraPure

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > SpectraPure
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08/20/2008, 08:25 PM   #1
DocG
Premium Member

Feedback on the UHE system

I have a system that totals about 450 gallons and use a lot of water.

Several months ago my wife was complaining to me about our enormously high water bill and so I decided to get the UHE system to see if that could help.

Since switching over to the UHE system we are saving approximately $50.00 a month on our water bill. So for me this beauty will pay for itself in less then a year.

A big thumbs up from me.

Way to go spectrapure!

DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2008, 11:04 AM   #2
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Thank you for the kind acknowledgement on our system. We also like to point out that since you are using less water, you will also be reducing the number of prefilters you are using by about 3-4x) to produce your ultra pure water, another significant savings. Also, as many municipalities base the sewage bill on the water bill you may see that your sewage bill has declined as well. Thank you again for the good feedback.

bruce

Old 10/28/2008, 05:42 PM   #3
mdvistnes
Registered Member

I would echo the positive feedback on the UHE system. It's the 3rd RODI system I have bought from Spectrapure and I love it. Way less waste water and it just makes water faster. Gotta love it. I bought it over a year a ago when it first came out and it has been great. Thanks Spectrapure.

mdvistnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2008, 09:42 PM   #4
biger
Registered Member

Ditto on the UHE. I love it.
Works good, lasts long time.

Current Tank Info: 180 gal in wall
biger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2008, 02:53 PM   #5
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Check it out! Our UHE is nowavailible in a 400 gallon per day version! 20" cartridies, patented technology, ultra LOW waste, fully automatic.
bruce

Old 12/18/2008, 02:54 PM   #6
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Check it out! Our UHE is now availible in a 400 gallon per day version! 20" cartridges, patented technology, ultra LOW waste, fully automatic.
bruce

Old 12/27/2008, 09:38 AM   #7
wmilas
Keep magnets 9" apart!

I purchased a UHE. I'm mostly satisfied with it. It does what it claims and its been great. Up and running for bout a month and half and has made 1500+ gallons. I'll explain that in a second. I have TERRIBLE TDS where I'm at (it fluctates wildly from 700-1100 TDS).

There are two issues with my UHE. None of them deal breakers but one was kind of annoying until I figured it out.

The first issue was that the filters came pre-isntalled, but they were installed backwards. I checked, double checked, and read the documentation and the website pictures. The were installed exactly in the reverse order. More this later.

The second issue is that my install is probably atypical from everyone else's. I have a 75 Gallon Tamco tank above a 65 Gallon Tamco tank. The top tank is fresh, the bottom is the mix tank. The whole tower is pretty tall. I was able to mount my UHE above and to the right of the topmost tank.

I was setting up a brand new system so I ran about 275 gallons into my sump and 2 of my filter tanks. I then let the UHE fill up the bottom mix tank and finally the top fresh tank. I was due to go away the next day for a week business trip. I noticed the next morning the level on my fresh tank had dropped. I looked around could find no water on the floor, and my filter tanks had no top off running. Was weird but I chalked it up to me being forgetful and I must of used the water for something.

I come back a week later and the system is a little bit above the lower float and its making water. At this point I'm frantic trying to find the leak. No leak. No water.

Turns out the UHE back siphons RO/DI from the flush intake down the waste line once it goes into flush cycle. Took me a whole to figure out exactly how it happens. With my unit if the bottom (exit) of the yellow brine line is below the surface of the water in my RO/DI tank, it back siphons. Since my brine line is hard plumbed to my drain, its WAY below the surface It back siphons from the flush line. If I pull the flush line from the unit, the siphon breaks.

It was easily fixed as I put a siphon break at the top of my unit where the brine line exits the unit, and it fixed the problem. People should be aware of this though.

The second issue is that my DI/Carts exhausted themselves VERY fast. Like 600-700?? hard to tell how much water it made in a week of siphoning... I made about 450 and it siphoned and made water for a week. The siphon wasn't fast so it wasn't making water the whole time.

Anyways when I came back from my trip the first DI was at 60% of membrane and the second DI's output was reading 1. Both were shot. I chalked it up to the siphoning and called Spectrapure and told them of the problem. The were apologetic and confirmed the siphoning can occur in my case. anyways the sold me more filters at a discounted rate. With the new filters in I've made probably 1000 more gallons and the first DI is still very low 1-2 TDS and the second, obviously, is at 0.

The second set of filters has already lasted nearly twice as long as the first set and still aren't exhausted. This leads me back to my first point. I wonder if the unit was tested with the filters installed in the reverse order they shipped in. If that's the case that would explain the reason the first set exhausted themselves so fast.

Anyways that's my complete experience. I love my system and am satisfied with it. It saves me LOTS of water. I just thought people might want to be aware of these two points

Old 12/29/2008, 11:35 AM   #8
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

wmilas-
thanks for bringing to our attention the problem of our manual missing instructions for your fairly common set up (our tech support thought they had included it, so I went and looked myself, and all I could find is the general requirement the system be mounted above your fresh water reservoir ). Your solution is excellent and thanks for outlining it here. We will add this immediately.
As far as your first set of cartridges not lasting, I will replace those at no cost to you. You should not have to pay for what appears to have been our mistake. We also have reviewed our construction procedures on these new systems and made sure all of our techs have fresh system build certs to prevent this kind of thing recurring. Please contact Dana or Scott at spectrapure and mention this thread, and your set of filters will be on its way.
bruce

Old 05/13/2009, 09:30 PM   #9
Stanley-Reefer
Registered Member

Great news, hopefully mine will be here Thurs/Fri of this week????

Stanley-Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2009, 08:09 PM   #10
Stanley-Reefer
Registered Member

My tap TDS is 72.......all is good, all is dry....

Old 07/14/2009, 10:38 PM   #11
Stanley-Reefer
Registered Member

I made over 500 gal of water last month with NO change in my monthly water bill!!!

Old 09/02/2009, 04:06 PM   #12
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

fwiw- further reductions in cost of ownership/maintanance are provided at

http://www.spectrapure.com/email/cu...eciation.html#1

bruce

Old 09/03/2009, 10:13 AM   #13
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

sorry, bad link. try this

http://www.spectrapure.com/email/cus...ciation.html#1

Old 04/24/2011, 12:04 PM   #14
slant77
Registered Member

how much water do you need to make a month to make uhe a better choice than the maxicap system.

slant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/2011, 12:29 PM   #15
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

There's about a $550 difference between the two systems. That's what we charge to upgrade a MaxCap to a UHE.

1. You save 3 gallons for every gallon made.

2. Pre-filters last 2.5 times longer.

3. What does your water cost now?

4. How many months will you wait for break-even payback?

5. How concerned are you about wasting water?

All factors for your individual consideration, but we have had customers who say they will break-even in six months, because they pay so much for water.

Scott
SpectraPure, Inc.

SpectraPure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2011, 11:52 AM   #16
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Also for possible consideration-
in some areas your sewer (waste) bill is based upon your water usage (ie, RODI, pool, sprinklers, toilets, shower, washing machine etc). We have some customers who report their sewer bill went down by $25 or more per month after swicthing to the UHE. Additionally, with fewer filter changes realized on the UHE, you are sending less solid waste to your landfill.
Other customers have limits on water usage (drought stricken areas) and have used the UHE as a way to meet lower municipal usage expectations.
Bruce

SpectraPure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2012, 12:44 AM   #17
garryclarkfl
Registered Member

This link is another example why people should buy your products due to excellent customer service and cutting edge products to sell.

garryclarkfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/25/2013, 10:58 AM   #18
tatuaje08
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectraPure View Post
There's about a $550 difference between the two systems. That's what we charge to upgrade a MaxCap to a UHE.

Scott
SpectraPure, Inc.
So you can upgrade my exhisting mc to a uhe for $550? Is this for the 100gpd version? Does it matter if mine is a 90 or 180?

tatuaje08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2013, 03:12 PM   #19
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Yes, if the MaxCap is in good working order.
This applies only to the single membrane version.
You pay shipping both ways.
2-week turn-around.

Support
SpectraPure, Inc.

Old 07/14/2013, 12:15 PM   #20
wbrinker
Registered Member

Can the UHE also supply a drinking water supply tank?

wbrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2013, 12:37 PM   #21
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

No. There's no way to independently fill the pressurized tank AND monitor the two floats in the open reservoir.

Scott
SpectraPure, Inc.

Old 07/15/2013, 06:06 PM   #22
wbrinker
Registered Member

Thanks for the info, my unit is on its way for the UHE upgrade!

Old 07/19/2013, 07:10 AM   #23
wbrinker
Registered Member

Noticed in the manual that it calls for a min of 10+ gallon tank, mine is a 6 gallon, what problems will that cause?

Old 07/19/2013, 01:10 PM   #24
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Depending upon how much and fast you use the water, the system may be starting and stopping and flushing more than normal. We'd like to see as big a tank as possible.

Scott
SpectraPure, Inc.

Old 08/17/2014, 06:14 AM   #25
thirst
Registered Member

I'm trying to better understand how the backsiphone of the drain because of the flush system works.

I have the uhe mounted above my reservoir. But because of how the drains are set up, there's no way for the drain to be above my reservoir also. How can I fix this?

I just hooked this up last night so haven't noticed the siphoning problem yet, but I presume my reservoir tank will backsiphone to the level of my drain?

thirst is offline   Reply With Quote