Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > SpectraPure
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08/17/2014, 01:25 PM   #26
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Try it and see. Having the UHE above the tank is the most important thing. Really looong drain lines may tend to inadvertently "pull" water from and through the system.

Support at SpectraPure

Old 08/17/2014, 03:00 PM   #27
thirst
Registered Member

It seems to be ok. Ran overnight and it filled the reservoir. Thanks! Doing what I can for the california drought!

thirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/19/2014, 12:19 PM   #28
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirst View Post
It seems to be ok. Ran overnight and it filled the reservoir. Thanks! Doing what I can for the california drought!
=)

Old 08/26/2014, 01:43 PM   #29
thirst
Registered Member

It seems that the high float didn't do it's jobs and my Uhe was stuck on, flooding the area. Does this happen often? I am worried about keeping it turned on now. Do I need to use a float in the product water input to reservoir?

Old 08/26/2014, 01:44 PM   #30
thirst
Registered Member

It was running at 40 psi when I came to check up on it and it was still making product water I believe. Any idea what might have happened?

Old 08/27/2014, 05:37 PM   #31
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

No, no idea at the moment.

Please be sure the top float is positioned properly so that it floats straight up and not at an angle. I would exercise the top and bottom floats several times, in sequence and in an empty tank, to assure yourself that they are working as intended. If the problem remains, look closely at the the wires and connectors between the floats and control module.

A mechanical float valve would not hurt for a safety back-up, but we have not seen this kind of problem left unresolved.

Support at SpectraPure

Old 11/24/2014, 02:15 PM   #32
atlfishes
Registered Member

What is the pricing to upgrade the 180gpd Maxcap Automatic to the UHE 200gpd. Is it the $550 quoted earlier in the thread?

atlfishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2014, 02:38 PM   #33
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

I think that is the price for a 180 to a uhe 100 conversion. Let me see and I will get back to you immediately. Jeremy

Old 11/24/2014, 02:45 PM   #34
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

The price for the conversion to a uhe 200 is 750.00, and 550.00 for the 100 conversion. The pump for the uhe 200 is very expensive. It is a dc brushless motor that will last much longer, and is far more reliable.

Thank you for your patience!

Jeremy

Old 02/16/2015, 07:51 AM   #35
Ted_C
Registered Member

I just received my UHE 100 from the LFS a few weeks ago. Started running it this weekend:

I am almost 100% satisfied with the system but I do have some questions:

1 - I get an enormous buildup of static charge in the freshwater reservoir. I've discharged it twice (it only seems to discharge at the bottom bulkhead. Could it be: water dropping through the air? Water going through the tubing? Does something like this dissipate over time?

2 - The vibration from the pump is pretty loud. It's actually vibrating the entire wall it's mounted on. Any tips on dampening the entire unit as it connects to the wall?

Ted_C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2015, 10:15 AM   #36
Ted_C
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirst View Post
It was running at 40 psi when I came to check up on it and it was still making product water I believe. Any idea what might have happened?
I also have this problem.

after the top float is fully submerged and in the open position, the unit auto-flushes several times, the pump shuts down - but the water from my feed continues to flow (at 60 PSI from the tap). There is a flashing green light on some of the electronics behind the pump.

The shape of my containers prevents a mechanical switch

Is there another possible solution?

Old 02/19/2015, 07:04 AM   #37
Ted_C
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_C View Post
I also have this problem.

after the top float is fully submerged and in the open position, the unit auto-flushes several times, the pump shuts down - but the water from my feed continues to flow (at 60 PSI from the tap). There is a flashing green light on some of the electronics behind the pump.

The shape of my containers prevents a mechanical switch

Is there another possible solution?
This issue has been resolved by calling support - running through the troubleshooting steps, then closer examination of the unit with advice from spectrapure.

This is a picture looking at the back of the unit. During troubleshooting, support had me plug the transformer into the wires used by the solenoids. The one on the left is the auto-flush and the one on the right is the system shut-off. The one on the right failed to do anything when power was directly applied.

I took the unit off the wall (mainly because I wanted to apply some foam padding to the rear of the unit to dampen the vibrations from the booster pump - which works very well by the way) - while doing this - I noticed the two valves were in different positions. Snapped a photo of it, sent it off to spectrapure for advice and they notified me that the valve was in the wrong position.

After placing the valve on the right in the vertical position, the system shuts down as expected.

Thanks for the Support Spectrapure!

Old 02/19/2015, 02:26 PM   #38
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

If you had a siphoning problem you would create a plumbers loop with the waste-line. Essentially you run the waste-line above and then back down to the drain.

Jeremy

Old 02/23/2015, 08:32 AM   #39
Ted_C
Registered Member

Indeed - thanks to the resources already provided on this site by you and your team - that's exactly what I did. I plumbed a 1/2" pvc pipe into my laundry tub and ensured the waste line was well above the auto-flush height of my reservoir.

No more siphoning of produced water is occurring.

Old 03/02/2015, 01:15 PM   #40
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

thank you for the kind words. Enjoy!
bruce

Old 03/05/2015, 11:20 AM   #41
cleanwaterlove
Registered Member

Smile MaxCap UHE 1:1 vs Maxcap 2:1 Manual Flush

Hi. I am eyeballing thes two systems:

MaxCap 1:1 Ultra-High-Efficiency 100-GPD RO/DI System
MaxCap 2:1 Manual Flush 180-GPD RO/DI System

I will be using them solely for drinking water. I know drinking DI water is not healthy which is why I am running them through a final alkaline filter made of calcite/corosex to remineralize it before going into the pressurized storage tank.

My question:

1) What are the component differences between the two systems? I see the UHE is automatic flush, with booster pump, and 1:1 ratio, and 0.2 micro sediment filter instead of 0.5 micron. Is there anything else different?

2) If I ordered the Manual flush maxcap, which components in particular would I need to buy in order to convert it to 1:1 ratio and have automatic flush?

3) How can I make automatic flush work in conjunction with a pressurized storage tank? I will not be using any float valve since its just for drinking water. I saw the note that it's not compatible for pressurized tank but I wonder what change is needed to make it compatible.

4) How much benefit will I gain from auto flush vs manual flush in a drinking water setup rated in extended life of membranes, ease of use, etc?

Thanks for making the best system on the market! I did the research intensely. While I could have built a similar system from scratch, yours are Pre-Assembled, tested and warranted, and it cost less to have you guys do it. So I'm going to get one of your systems

Thanks for the help.

cleanwaterlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2015, 10:42 AM   #42
cleanwaterlove
Registered Member

Spectra pure?

cleanwaterlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2015, 10:55 AM   #43
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

can I help you?

Old 03/09/2015, 11:40 AM   #44
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Please disregard the above, sent to the wrong thread.

1) The UHE has a Pure Water Flush for even better membrane life.

2) You can not convert MF to AF.

3) If you really want the pressure tank, get the Standard MaxCap model. Everything special about the MF/AF systems precludes using a pressure tank.

4) You can put a standard Flush Kit on that Standard MaxCap and flush it as often as you think about it. Once under the sink, most people forget all about it.

Support at SpectraPure

Old 03/09/2015, 08:43 PM   #45
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

I believe that the UHE is a far superior choice. You pay much more up front, but it is a completely automated system that waste much less water. The filter life lasts much longer. The filter replacement costs with the MaxCap Auto-flush will be much more costly in the long run. The UHE also comes with electronic floats and a booster pump to boost your pressure to 80 psi. I say forget the pressurized tank, and get a cylindrical polypropylene or polyethylene tank.

I would highly advise you to go with the UHE. It is a much better route to go.

Jeremy

Old 06/10/2016, 02:13 PM   #46
Ted_C
Registered Member

Hi All.

I bought a second UHE100 over the memorial day weekend (arrived tuesday this week). Please note that the valves on the solenoids were in the wrong position again.

You may want to double back with your QA folks - letting them know to make these switches in the right position before sending the units out.

Other than that - I'm happy (again) with the set-up. I'm really happy with the 99% RO rejection rate I'm getting. 415 PPM in, 5 PPM out.

Old 06/13/2016, 01:42 PM   #47
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

We appreciate the feedback. The message has been sent to manufacturing. Thank you for your loyal support.

Jeremy

Old 11/22/2016, 12:10 PM   #48
Settings
Registered Member

My UHE100 has been in operation for a year. I only produce 80 gallons or less a month. I had the regular Maxcap AF before this. I have had zero problems with either system and would buy again. I won't reap the savings other will by buying the UHE, but I do get to say that I waste less water.

Side note, Spectrapure customer service is very knowledgable and friendly.

Cheers
Darrin

Old 11/30/2016, 10:24 AM   #49
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Well there are more benefits other than wasting less water. Considering that you are wasting less water the pre-filters will last much longer. If you were wasting 2:1 with the AF then they will last twice as long and so forth. Also the zeta zorb has a much, much larger surface area than the 0.5, so that will last much longer as well. The DI cartridges on a UHE last at least twice as long as the AF. Plus the AF didn't have a booster pump, dual floats, or a purified DI water flush.

Jeremy

Old 12/19/2016, 10:19 PM   #50
Rick's Reef
Registered Member

I have a UHE 90gpd system also and am happy with the water quality. One annoyance though is the vibration of the pump. I have tried having the system free standing on a workbench, mounted to a wall or mounted to a cabinet. In all 3 cases the vibration turns the mounting surface into an amplifier and I can hear the pump in the opposing room.

The least obtrusive installation is to leave the system sitting on the concrete floor, however this is not feasible because the unit must be mounted above the reservoir to avoid a siphon and let the filter draw up fresh water for the flush operation.

Any tips on reducing the vibration noise?

Thanks, Rick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rick's Reef is offline   Reply With Quote