Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 09/09/2008, 12:27 AM   #1
just dave
11th in '11

Brightwell Aquatics NeoZeo method.

I thought this may interest some of you. I posted the begining of the 18 pages of their instructions. I have not finished reading it all yet but it seems to be very informative. There is so much interest in these type of systems that one from an American based company should be welcome. I noticed that their newest product NeoZeo (zeolite media) is not represented on their website yet but I see ********** sells it already.

Quote:
The Brightwell Aquatics NeoZeo Method

Synopsis:
Maintaining ultra-low (e.g. immeasurable) nutrient concentrations in reef aquaria and
precisely-controlling the inorganic and organic substances entering the system can
result in vibrant coloration of zooxanthellate corals and their allies. The method
described below can accomplish this task. It should be stated from the onset that this
method will only produce dramatic results if it is employed continuously, and as
directed (with slight adjustments made to dosing as dictated by the appearance of the
aquarium inhabitants). It is an interesting, highly-effective method of maintaining reef
aquaria that is without question geared to the more “hands-on”, experienced reef
aquarium enthusiast.

Stated simply, this method removes undesirable nutrients and provides beneficial
nutrients. To be slightly more descriptive, it:

• Extracts phosphate, ammonia, and dissolved organic material from aquarium
water by direct adsorption.
• Limits production of nitrate and minimizes the presence of latent organic
material in the system.
• Provides specific organic and inorganic substances for the express purpose of
enhancing health, growth, and vibrant coloration of corals and their allies.

Note:
It should be stated that we are not claiming to have pioneered the method described
herein by titling this document “The Brightwell Aquatics NeoZeo Method”; we are
simply outlining the method utilizing Brightwell Aquatics supplements and filtration
media for the reference of interested reef enthusiasts. Additionally, no amount of
tinkering with methods of filtration or nutrient supplementation will provide the
desired results if the remaining water parameters and physical conditions are not
within the proper ranges; it is presumed that temperature, pH, alkalinity, and the
concentrations of magnesium, calcium, potassium, strontium, and important minor
and trace elements in an aquarium are properly maintained, and that lighting and
water flow are adjusted to address the needs of the aquarium inhabitants, in any
system in which the NeoZeo (or similar) method is employed. For many aquarists, this
is a somewhat complex system when first reviewed; we can just hear people saying
“Ye gads!” (or the like) once they have finished reading this document. Be assured that
the information provided below is meant to be a comprehensive introduction to the
method, but that there are bound to be exceptions or conditions presenting
themselves within specific aquaria that necessitate some degree of divergence from
general dosing recommendations made; therefore, it is up to each aquarist to know
their system well, for this method relies heavily on attention to detail (specifically the
impact that individual components utilized have on the appearance of aquarium
inhabitants, and this only comes with time and experience).

Throughout this document, the word “nutrient” will appear many times. It is used in
the broadest possible context, adhering to the definition of a nutrient being a
substance that provides sustenance.

Discussion:
Maintaining a healthy reef aquarium (or any aquarium, for that matter) is largely
dependant upon limiting the concentrations of nutrients such as nitrate and
phosphate; in doing so, the general health of the inhabitants tends to be relatively
high (presumably because more attention is being paid to water quality) and the
appearance of the system remains more pristine. So-called “nuisance organisms” such
as filamentous algae and cyanobacteria are rarely visible in systems with
immeasurable phosphate, and stony corals maintained in such systems are generally
more vibrantly-colored as opposed to being predominantly brown or a shade thereof
(an appearance that is the result of the high population density of zooxanthellae in the
coral tissue, caused in large part by an elevated phosphate concentration in the
system). Photosynthetic organisms require a usable source of phosphorus and
nitrogen if they are to survive and flourish, so some small amount of these elements
must be present for these organisms, and their symbionts, to survive; the key is to
provide the nutrients directly to the organisms in an appropriate form and limit their
“free” concentration in the reef aquarium. There’s nothing revolutionary about this concept; rather, the method in which it is accomplished (as described in this
document) is somewhat new.

The NeoZeo method can be dissected into two main areas of focus: Nutrient
Limitation and Nutrient Supplementation. While we will examine them individually, it
is extremely important to state that this system relies on a balanced combination of
the two aspects in order to provide positive results. It is extremely simple to strip the
important substances out of an aquarium to the point that the aquarium inhabitants
begin to suffer and perish; it is even simpler to overload an aquarium with organic
and/or inorganic substances, resulting in the same fate of the inhabitants (albeit by
different means).

Last edited by just dave; 09/09/2008 at 12:38 AM.
Unread 09/09/2008, 12:43 AM   #2
just dave
11th in '11

A little bit more. I'm sure the rest will be availbe from their site.

Quote:

Nutrient Limitation

As previously mentioned, controlling the concentrations of nutrients, and their
precursors, in reef aquaria is extremely important; the long-term overall health of the
system is highly reliant upon it. This entails extracting dissolved and particulate
organic material, as well as phosphate and nitrogenous molecules such as ammonia,
nitrite, and nitrate from the system efficiently and effectively. In the past, aquarists
have utilized protein skimming, activated carbon, and ion-exchange resins in
conjunction with the natural biological and chemical reactions taking place within
sediment and porous substrates to accomplish this goal. The aspect of this method
that makes it “unique” is the utilization of a family of selective zeolites for the dual
purpose of extracting ammonia/ammonium and providing a substrate for the
colonization of beneficial microbes. It follows that an aquarium with efficient
extraction of ammonia before it is utilized in the nitrification process will have a very
limited propensity for nitrate accumulation. Similarly, by extracting dissolved and
particulate organic material from the water before it has a chance to be broken down
via microbial processes and/or photodegradation, the constituents of that material are
not released into the system; this is accomplished through protein skimming and the
use of high-quality activated carbon. The rates of nitrogen and phosphorus input and
the presence of adequate organic carbon largely determine whether or not some
amount of measurable nitrate and/or phosphate persist in an aquarium; nitrate is
removed via denitrification and/or the use of a sulfur reactor, and phosphate is
addressed by utilizing some form of phosphate-adsorption media. The ultimate goal
is to maintain microbial biomass production at such a rate that the concentrations of
nitrate and phosphate never become measurable.

Biological Nutrient Limitation (Microbes and Organic Carbon)

The role that microbes play in a zeolite filtration method is extremely important: they
convert nutrients existing in excessive concentrations into biomass, which is then (in
the case of planktonic bacteria, or “bacterioplankton”) consumed by corals and other
suspension-feeding organisms and utilized in biological processes, and/or removed
from the aquarium by protein skimming. The process may be thought of as nutrient
recycling and export, and in that regard it provides some of the same benefits that a
refugium housing macroalgae provides; the main difference is that the nutrients
assimilated into microbial biomass are at least partially available to corals, which is not
the case when it comes to nutrients assimilated into macroalgae tissue. A percentage
of the microbes form biofilms on inanimate objects (often appearing as a brownish
film on the panes of the aquarium), which can be brushed off and captured by
aquarium inhabitants and skimmer intakes, again exporting nutrients from the system;
we will return to the topic of biofilm shortly. Before we move on, it is likely that some
readers will ask the questions, “Why is this means of nutrient export any different than
the natural processes taking place within any cycled aquarium? Microbes are going to
colonize the NeoZeo media regardless of seeding it. What’s the big deal?” The
primary difference between a “traditional” system in which biological filtration media
is set into place and allowed to become passively populated with microbes and a
system in which a select group of microbes is supplemented on an ongoing basis is
that (again) the enthusiast maintains more control over the rate of nutrient export,
and simultaneously encourages the biological processing of various substances
known to negatively impact water clarity and/or the health of the aquarium
inhabitants.

It is here that the discussion turns to carbon limitation and the implications
this has with regards to the ability of microbes to assimilate phosphorus and nitrogen.
Covering this topic requires elementary thinking and relies on the ratios of nutrient
uptake in bacteria being somewhat analogous to that of marine phytoplankton.

Using the molar ratios of 106:16:1 C:N:P (carbon : nitrogen : phosphorus) in marine
phytoplankton as a model for nutrient uptake in bacteria, it follows that bacteria
require considerable carbon to assimilate nitrogen and (particularly) phosphorus. In a
system with low- to immeasurable-concentrations of nitrate and phosphate, there is
presumably sufficient organic C present to enable bacteria to utilize the N and P that is
available; resultantly, bacterial biomass is regulated by the relative abundance of N
and P. Conversely, in a system with relatively high concentrations of nitrate or
phosphate (e.g. one that tends to be heavily-fed), their uptake by bacteria will be
inhibited by inadequate organic C. The solution is to supplement the system with
organic C, which enables assimilation of the existing N and P into bacterial biomass.
As previously described, the bacteria, and hence the N and P, are then removed from
the system via filtration and/or converted into biomass of suspension-feeding
organisms capturing bacterioplankton and pieces of biofilm that become dislodged
from static surfaces.

Unread 09/09/2008, 12:03 PM   #3
takayan
Premium Member

Is not this product require to add some bacteria/bacteria food such as ZEOback and ZEOfood from zeovit system?
I saw this product in my LFS.

Unread 09/09/2008, 12:18 PM   #4
just dave
11th in '11

From what I gather the products used with the NeoZeo method are Replenish, Vitamarin-C, Coral Amino, Iodion, Phosphat R,Potassion, Koral Color, Micro Bacter7 , Reef BioFuel, and NeoZeo.

Unread 09/09/2008, 01:27 PM   #5
CHUBAKAH
Registered Member

Re: Brightwell Aquatics NeoZeo method.

Quote:
Originally posted by just dave
I thought this may interest some of you.
Thank you much for starting this thread. I started this system over the weekend, and had actually started another thread on this very subject in the The Reef Chemistry Forum. Of course it is way too early to have any results as of yet, so I'll be tagging along.

I'd be interested in seeing the full 18 pages if you have a link to it.

TIA

Unread 09/09/2008, 01:40 PM   #6
PnoyReefeR
Registered Member

I am currently using 5 products of Brightwell and I am in my 4th week. So far looks good and very happy with result. Yes I know its too early to say that is why I am documenting everything. My Po4 was .10 before I started and now my Po4 is .02. thats all I can say for now and will post all my findings on my thread ( pics and dosage) as soon as I am really confident I can vouch for this products.

Unread 09/09/2008, 03:19 PM   #7
just dave
11th in '11

Re: Re: Brightwell Aquatics NeoZeo method.

Quote:
Originally posted by CHUBAKAH
Thank you much for starting this thread. I started this system over the weekend, and had actually started another thread on this very subject in the The Reef Chemistry Forum. Of course it is way too early to have any results as of yet, so I'll be tagging along.

I'd be interested in seeing the full 18 pages if you have a link to it.

TIA
I don't know how RC would feel if I posted the whole thing here but I have it in a PDF and could e-mail it.

Unread 09/09/2008, 03:44 PM   #8
newreefbishop
Premium Member

pm sent please email me the pdf as I am also interested and would like to test it. I love Brightwell....

The 65 is gone the 110 is in, click the red house for the 110. *Updated

Current Tank Info: 110 gal R/R AGA with 40 gallon DIY fuge/sump, 2 AI Sol Blue LED modules, RKL system, Vortech Powerheads, Softies, LPS and SPS. Fox Face, Coral Beauty, Goby, a mated pair of Midnight Black Photon Clowns, BTA, Sebae and small critters everywhere
Unread 09/09/2008, 04:00 PM   #9
CHUBAKAH
Registered Member

I've also sent a PM, two even as I may have messed up the first one.

How were you able to obtain the info on this? I've been looking for anyhting and everything since the weekend, and have found nothing.

Thanks again!

Mark

Unread 09/09/2008, 04:23 PM   #10
volcom69
Registered Member

Now with the neozeo do u need some kind of reactor or can you use a mesh bag of some type my LFS sells brightwell so ill have check this out. Thanks

Unread 09/09/2008, 05:22 PM   #11
CHUBAKAH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by volcom69
Now with the neozeo do u need some kind of reactor or can you use a mesh bag of some type my LFS sells brightwell so ill have check this out. Thanks
Yes you need a reactor as you also need to regulate the GPH through the media. This is epically important for setting up a new system.

Unread 09/09/2008, 05:35 PM   #12
volcom69
Registered Member

I hate that cause i dont have much room in my sump so this will not work then for me, and my system is not new and i do have a low nutrient system my po4-0.02-0.03 no3-0 but i would of liked to try this for color purpose. So they said for sure that you can not use some kind of mesh bag at all, like you can with some other products.

Unread 09/09/2008, 09:08 PM   #13
just dave
11th in '11

I sent it to everyone that asked ,and that sent an e-mail address ,except the Redskins fan.

Unread 09/09/2008, 09:10 PM   #14
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Using the molar ratios of 106:16:1 C:N:P (carbon : nitrogen : phosphorus) in marine
phytoplankton as a model for nutrient uptake in bacteria
That is quite a leap of faith and a very unscientific supposition

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
Unread 09/09/2008, 09:13 PM   #15
just dave
11th in '11

Quote:
Originally posted by volcom69

Quote:
Some enthusiasts familiar with zeolite filtration may scoff, but our preferred method
for housing this media is simply to place it inside a large-capacity canister filter that
either has some pre-existing means of flow-rate adjustment or can be retrofitted with
a ball valve on the filter discharge (which practically any filter that utilizes flexible
tubing will accommodate). The water flow through the media is generally maintained
at a rate of <100 gph (378.5 lph), with a brief (e.g. 3 – 5 minute) dramatic increase in
flow rate (e.g. >200 gph or 757 lph) every 2 – 3 days that serves to dislodge any latent
organic material that may have accumulated on the surface of the media itself. We
prefer to use a canister filter for this purpose because, in our opinion, it’s a cleaner
approach than using an open-top reactor placed in a sump, and opens up the
possibility of placing Carbonit-P or NeoMag (our granular magnesium/calcium media)
into the same vessel for added benefit; also, a filter that features flow-control built into
the motor housing simplifies maintenance. Once established, occasional
supplementation of MicroBacter7 is recommended to replace those microorganisms
that are lost to the water column (becoming planktonic and available for predation by
corals, sponges, and other suspension-feeding invertebrates) during routine
disturbances to the NeoZeo media, itself, as well as when replacing a portion of the
media.
Quote:
The aquarist must be cognizant of the fact that NeoZeo is an extremely-effective
adsorber of ammonium, and that corals that have become accustomed to, and
dependant upon, the presence of ammonium are likely to show an initial negative
response to the rapid removal of this ion. As one might expect, this is an issue that is
primarily encountered in aquaria that have been established for many years; in
contrast, aquaria that utilize zeolite filtration from the onset are far less-likely to exhibit
this sort of ammonium-related issue.

Quote:
The following recommendations are based upon extensive testing and will produce
the best results in most aquaria:

Weeks 1 and 2: Place 200 g each week of NeoZeo for each 100 US-gallons (378.5 L) in
the entire aquarium system into an appropriate media reactor; adjust the rate of water
flow through the reactor to ~25 gph (94.6 lph). Add 2.5 ml MicroBacter7 per 100 USgallons
daily.

Weeks 3 and 4: Add 200 g each week of NeoZeo for each 100 US-gallons (378.5 L) in
the entire aquarium system into the media reactor; increase water flow through the
reactor to ~50 gph (189.3 lph). Add 1 ml MicroBacter7 and Reef BioFuel per 100 USgallons
daily.

Week 5: Add 200 g of NeoZeo for each 100 US-gallons (378.5 L) in the entire aquarium
system into the media reactor; increase water flow through the reactor to ~100 gph
(378.5 lph). Add 1 ml MicroBacter7 and Reef BioFuel per 100 US-gallons daily.

Once the first 5 weeks of usage has passed, adjust the dosage of MicroBacter7 and Reef
BioFuel according to the appearance of the system, the inhabitants, and as dictated by
the water parameters. Refer to the instructions on each of the afore-mentioned
supplements’ labels for additional information. Every six-weeks, change 25% of the
NeoZeo media and add 1 ml MicroBacter7 and Reef BioFuel per 100 US-gallons daily
for one week before resuming normal dosing schedule.

Unread 09/09/2008, 09:18 PM   #16
just dave
11th in '11

Quote:
Originally posted by billsreef
That is quite a leap of faith and a very unscientific supposition
Redfield Ratio, right?

Unread 09/09/2008, 09:45 PM   #17
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Redfield Ratio, right?
Yup. It applies to photosynthetic algaes, not non photosynthetic bacteria Even than, it is actually highly variable between different species of algae. Using it as an assumption for bacteria is...well you know what they say about that word

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
Unread 09/10/2008, 03:43 AM   #18
CHUBAKAH
Registered Member

Quote:
I sent it to everyone that asked ,and that sent an e-mail address ,except the Redskins fan.

Thanks for the PDF!

Unread 09/11/2008, 11:43 AM   #19
LooseHip
Foaming Conehead

Quote:
Originally posted by reeferpnoy
I am currently using 5 products of Brightwell and I am in my 4th week. So far looks good and very happy with result. Yes I know its too early to say that is why I am documenting everything. My Po4 was .10 before I started and now my Po4 is .02. thats all I can say for now and will post all my findings on my thread ( pics and dosage) as soon as I am really confident I can vouch for this products.
If you don't mind me asking, which 5 products are you using?

Unread 09/13/2008, 02:06 PM   #20
CHUBAKAH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LooseHip
If you don't mind me asking, which 5 products are you using?
I am curious as well.

Ber rump bump!

Unread 09/20/2008, 08:26 PM   #21
sammy33
Registered Member

I got a copy of the .pdf (pm me if you want a copy) on the NeoZeo method and have read through it several times. I do have some experience with ULNS through using Prodibio. It seems like some of the supplements from Brightwell will compliment Prodibio quite nicely especially the Vitamin C, Replenish and the KoralColor products.

I am also considering trying this method in whole as I have had some great results on my SPS reef with Prodibio. The addition of the zeo media seems to allow even lower levels of nutrients in turn allowing more feeding/dosing. I also like the idea of using a canister filter instead of a hand pump reactor.

Potassium seems to be the main catalyst for colors in terms of inorganic supplementation. I have been using the Brightwell Potassion, Strontion, Iodion and CoralAmino for a few months. I am using Tropic Marin Pro salt which is apparently a bit low on this element. After dosing the Potassion for several weeks my color has improved especially on my Montipora.

Current Tank Info: 125g Reef (TEK/IceCap T5 & TLP LEDs, Tunze 6055/Controller, Reef Octopus NWB200, ReefDoser Quad)
Unread 09/27/2008, 11:36 PM   #22
sammy33
Registered Member

I decided to go full tilt neoZeo. I already have a good number of the supplements mentioned in the manual so I only needed to buy the neozeo media, Microbacter7 (MB7) and Reef Biofuel (RBF).

I also picked up a few other supplements including KoralColor and KoralleVM both seem to be trace element supplements.

NeoZeo media came in a box and I divided the media into 5 zipbags of about the same weight volume for the 5 week slow introduction of media. For a media reactor I am using a Eheim 2026 canister filter leftover from my freshwater tank.

The Eheim has an easily adjustable flow so you can crank it up every few days to blow the bio film off the zeo stones. You then set the flow at about 100 gph for normal operation. This is recommended in the manual or you can also use a traditional zeo reactor.

The slow introduction of the neozeo media may not be entirely necessary on my system as I have been using Prodibio on my reef for about 6 months driving towards an ULNS. I am still going to take it slow with neozeo.

Inorganic stuff - primary elements and the Koralcolor is a blend of trace elements. Potassium is underrated IMHO.

Organic supplements for neoZeo - MB7 and RBF are the microbe/enzymes and the carbon source when combined with the neoZeo media form the basis for this system. Ultra low nutrients are the result allowing the addition of lotsa coral food - KoralleVM, ReefSnow and Amino Acids.

Many other things mentioned in the neozeo manual but this is my brightwell collection so far. I have one dose of Biodigest left from my Prodibio and wil do that most likely today when I add the first batch of neozeo media to the eheim.

Current Tank Info: 125g Reef (TEK/IceCap T5 & TLP LEDs, Tunze 6055/Controller, Reef Octopus NWB200, ReefDoser Quad)
Unread 09/28/2008, 07:35 AM   #23
CHUBAKAH
Registered Member

Keep the updates coming Sam. I am in to my third week, and my results from just the Neozeo media, microbactor7, and now the Biofuel are quite noticeable already.

One of my local clubs is having Mr Brightwell come in next month, and I am looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

I agree with most that the manual is not the best. I look forward to being able to ask some questions.

Mark

Unread 09/28/2008, 08:24 AM   #24
unbreakable
D:

i didnt get to see, but do you have to run your alklanity low in order to use the neo media?

Unread 09/28/2008, 08:54 AM   #25
CHUBAKAH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by unbreakable
i didnt get to see, but do you have to run your alklanity low in order to use the neo media?
I'll be honest, I don't recall seeing anything about adjusting the ALK.

Closed Thread