Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/07/2008, 10:57 AM   #1
mikesbales
Registered Member

Question Crazy Evaporation

in my 94g system i typically lose about 3/4g per day in evaporation, but the past couple days i've been losing almost double that. I'll wake up to my water having dropped an inch in my sump!!! (it usually drops less than 1cm) I HAVE CHECKED FOR LEAKS!!! NO LEAKS ANYWHERE!!! and the weather has been consistant. Any ideas??

Also, i know this doesnt fall under water chemistry, but i figured it was kinda close. Thanks

mikesbales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Bonebrake
Registered Member

Outside of a serious leak or reef gnomes filling up their hats at night and emptying it out in their caves, the only other possibility is your home is drier and more is going into the ambient air.

Do you have an automatic top-off?

Bonebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2008, 11:02 AM   #3
hypernesia
Registered Member

humidity levels in your house would be the culprit in my opinion. If your air is drier as of late you will evaporate more.

Current Tank Info: 220 reef
hypernesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2008, 11:07 AM   #4
mikesbales
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonebrake
Outside of a serious leak or reef gnomes filling up their hats at night and emptying it out in their caves, the only other possibility is your home is drier and more is going into the ambient air.

Do you have an automatic top-off?
No, unfortunatly no one around here (lowes and H.D.) sells float switches and I havent sucked it up and just bought one online yet.

Old 10/07/2008, 11:08 AM   #5
mikesbales
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hypernesia
humidity levels in your house would be the culprit in my opinion. If your air is drier as of late you will evaporate more.
I do run a dehumidifier in my basement where the tank is, but I have always run it and it keeps my basement at a constant 10% humidity.

Old 10/07/2008, 11:22 AM   #6
hypernesia
Registered Member

wow 10% humidity that is really dry. Sparks a flying. Do you measure the humidity by what the dehumidifier says? As those things work they pull more and more water from the air throughout the entire house. The drier the air gets in a larger area the more your tank will evap. Its all about water vapor pressures and equillibrium.
You can always bring in drier air from outside when you open and close windows and doors

Current Tank Info: 220 reef
hypernesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2008, 11:24 AM   #7
AZDesertRat
Moved On

I'll bet its a drop in relative humidity. 3/4 gal a day is not much for a 94 gal system, on my 100G with a 30G sump its normally 2 gal a day and can be 3 a day at times. Relative humidity makes a big difference dehumidifier or not.

AZDesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2008, 03:54 PM   #8
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

I agree that is not much. Evaporation varies greatly with season and climate, but 1-4% daily is not unusual.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is online now   Reply With Quote