Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/10/2008, 07:44 PM   #1
Kaos
"Lurker"

Question Has anyone had a reef and aggressive tank share the same sump?

I am planning 2 tank setups atm. One will be an aggressive tank housing only an Undy. trigger and the other will be a mixed reef. To increase overall water volume I was thinking of both tanks using a common sump. I think this will also save money on equipment since there will only be one skimmer, return pump(t'd of course), controller, etc.

If anyone has done this please lmk the pros and cons of this and your experiences. TIA.

Last edited by Kaos; 11/10/2008 at 08:06 PM.
Kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2008, 09:20 PM   #2
MileHighFish
Registered Member

i have not done this myself, but my LSF has a huge system and it all connects to a huge tub of live rock, so i wouldnt think it would be an issue

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later.
Mitch Hedberg

Current Tank Info: Reef tank, 100 gal Lee Mar polished.. 60 sump.. 800 watts mh 20k radium..Ran on "Taiwan HQI Ballast" 330 watt VHO.. 48 watt compacts (dawn/dusk).. sps/lps tank..
MileHighFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2008, 09:28 PM   #3
reefergeorge
Registered Member

If you T it off one pump, make sure to put gate valves on the tank returns so the return water doesn't all go to one tank.

Current Tank Info: 125 aggressive reef, DIY led lighting, swc cone skimmer, 33 gallon sump, posiden Ps3 return.
reefergeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2008, 10:12 PM   #4
crvz
Team RC Member

The issue may be that the aggressive tank will have a lot more wastes, and it could be hard to control nutrient levels between the two systems (and the reef may not tolerate the potentially elevated nitrate/phosphate levels).

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
crvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2008, 12:21 AM   #5
MileHighFish
Registered Member

good point.. crvz, the LFS i was referring to runs 3 G-4's skimmers and must have 1000lbs of rock.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later.
Mitch Hedberg

Current Tank Info: Reef tank, 100 gal Lee Mar polished.. 60 sump.. 800 watts mh 20k radium..Ran on "Taiwan HQI Ballast" 330 watt VHO.. 48 watt compacts (dawn/dusk).. sps/lps tank..
MileHighFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2008, 04:03 PM   #6
reefergeorge
Registered Member

He said that the only fish in the aggressive tank would be a undy. They are messy eaters, but stay pretty small.
IMO it shouldn't create a problem. Just get a skimmer sized for total water volume.

Current Tank Info: 125 aggressive reef, DIY led lighting, swc cone skimmer, 33 gallon sump, posiden Ps3 return.
reefergeorge is offline   Reply With Quote