Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > International Club Forums > Okinawa Saltwater Gang
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/28/2008, 10:29 PM   #1
2t2_crash
Registered Member

who uses the sea water here?

I was wondering who here uses the NSW by fishing it right out of the beaches we have at our disposal?
do you guys have an algae problem because of it?
what filters are you running?

I use a sump and doing a NSW 5 gal swapout weekly (I have a 55 gal) and I have wonderfull algae that wont go away. I have tried using RO and salt mix too. but I think I am going to go right back to the NSW.

Current Tank Info: 55 gal reef, 30 gal sump, 2 koralias (3 and 4), oddyssea light system, NSW used.
2t2_crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2008, 03:23 AM   #2
Lionel
Premium Member

keep in mind that you can control what's in artificially mixed water, but NSW could have anything in it, or be missing anything...

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon Display
Lionel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2008, 08:34 AM   #3
dkermitb
Registered Member

2t2_crash,

Here is a thread from our forum on this particular topic. I have since gone to the RO water after reading all the inputs.

Kermit

Ocean H2O vs Store Bought H2O?
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1465830

dkermitb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2008, 02:21 AM   #4
bethnjeremy
Registered Member

I have tested the NSW at the beach and you don't want that in your tank. If you were to go out pretty far and gather water maybe, but your best bet is make it. It cost some money but you know what you are getting. I am using coral reef best salt right now. After introducing that, I have noticed a difference. I was using Red Sea and it was ok but it lacks Potassium. Before that I was using NSW and I couldn't get my PO4 to come down, now it is at a reasonable level that my sps are coloring up very well. If you are going to use salt i would do some research on which one is suitable for your tank, since I have a lot of coral I have heard nothing but good things from Coral Reef Best salt. Also I am about to start a full zeovit tank, just waiting on my timer to come in so I can put together my new sump with the zeovit reactor.

bethnjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2008, 06:33 AM   #5
Lionel
Premium Member

hey jeremy how much is it costing you to get the KZ salt mix? and where from? I still havent ordered all my zeo stuff... probably gonna do it this weekend.. so if you know anywhere other than premiumaquatics hook me up

Unread 12/30/2008, 11:22 PM   #6
2t2_crash
Registered Member

Where are you getting your salt from and how much is it? My tank needs some serious help

Current Tank Info: 55 gal reef, 30 gal sump, 2 koralias (3 and 4), oddyssea light system, NSW used.
Unread 12/31/2008, 12:04 AM   #7
tylersdad
Registered Member

2t2, I have some red sea salt mix if you need some. I order it from drs foster and smith, like 200G worth is I think $42 and shipping is very cheap

tylersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2008, 01:34 AM   #8
Lionel
Premium Member

red sea coral pro is what i've been using.. but I'm in the process of doing some major upgrades.. a new skimmer, full blown zeovit.. the whole deal..
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...ry_Code=Vertex

ordering this bad boy before the clock strikes 12.. haha
if this skimmer is half as badass as people say it is, it's going to rock on my tank

Unread 12/31/2008, 02:48 AM   #9
james37128
Registered Member

I think that skimmer is a good choice, at the worst I have heard 1 or 2 bad things about the pump. But if you replace that you still have a euro-reef without the price.

Current Tank Info: Downgraded to 30 gallon with t5's and minimum equipment, stocking only fish and rics.
james37128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2008, 04:44 AM   #10
Lionel
Premium Member

ive gotta call jason at PA this evening when they open, it's out of stock and i want to make sure I can still get the sale price.

Unread 12/31/2008, 05:11 AM   #11
tylersdad
Registered Member

You gonna be here for a while Lionel? I know you werent sure a few weeks ago when I saw you at grassy knoll. My stand for the 34 is almost done now...had to go back for some more wood the other day.

tylersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2008, 05:43 AM   #12
Lionel
Premium Member

yeah it looks like im not deploying after all. I have let my tank really slip the last month or so.. because I was pretty sure I was going to have to take the whole thing down. Now that i'm not going anywhere for a while, I've started trying to get everything right again.

Unread 12/31/2008, 09:24 PM   #13
bethnjeremy
Registered Member

hey lionel i am just waiting on my timer and everything. I have everything to run my zeovit system. Today will be the first time i do a water change with RBC salt. I have been increasing my potassium since my tank has been at an extreme low level. Since then my stylophora has shown improvement in color again. How are you sps doing? Hopefully the weather will break one of these days on the weekend so i can go get more coral.

bethnjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2009, 04:41 AM   #14
Lionel
Premium Member

my poor tank has suffered due to lack of attention.. but it's coming along

Unread 01/03/2009, 06:25 PM   #15
2t2_crash
Registered Member

damn I need to check these forums more often, esp my PMs.

Hey Lionel, who do I ask for when I call?

Unread 01/03/2009, 07:01 PM   #16
Lionel
Premium Member

me :P

Unread 01/03/2009, 08:03 PM   #17
2t2_crash
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lionel
me :P
DOH. LOL
wasn't sure if that was just your handle or if it is your name.

I'm bored sitting at work waiting on the 1st/1st

Unread 01/03/2009, 09:24 PM   #18
Lionel
Premium Member

waiting on the army? lol

it's about time someone had to wait on us for a change !

do you need water today?

Unread 01/03/2009, 09:35 PM   #19
2t2_crash
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lionel
waiting on the army? lol

it's about time someone had to wait on us for a change !

do you need water today?
just rub it in.

Naw it's okay... hell I still need to buy some salt to mix.

What container do you use to store the water in? One of these days I'll have to show you my tank, though you'll have to brace yourself for either a laugh or a heart attack... mine gets borderline swamp, plus my lights need to be replaced but getting the funding pass from my better half is the hard part

Unread 01/03/2009, 10:08 PM   #20
Lionel
Premium Member

yeah i think ive got it easy sometimes.. my better half is into photography.. her crap costs more than my crap !! (is it even possible?!?!)

Unread 01/28/2009, 02:23 PM   #21
Paul B
Premium Member

I use NSW in my reef, I collect it in NY right neat the city. I have only been using it for 40 years so I can't form an opinion yet.

Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2009, 03:08 PM   #22
2t2_crash
Registered Member

Thanks for the input Paul, I bet our water here is cleaner than yours too. LOL.

and on behalf an entire forum section of military members (currently active or prior service) thank you for your service during Vietnam.

Crash.

Unread 01/28/2009, 03:11 PM   #23
Paul B
Premium Member

Crash, thank you, I really appreciate it and thank you for your service.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Unread 01/28/2009, 03:38 PM   #24
Patrick12
Crypt Assassin

I use NSW here on Okinawa. I always try to collect from the incoming tide. I have no issues. If you analyze the water, you will find it is high in salinity...1.030, low in calcium....370-390 and I have always been way low in magnesium....1100. Everything else is as we consider "in range". I find it funny that some go out and collect the animals from the water, but then are afraid to use the same water in their aquariums. I figure that I am trying to replicate their natural environment and give them what they are used to. What better way than to use the water I collected them from?

Wow. Paul B using NY seawater. I have seen your tank going on 30+ years now so it must work. But, I don't think I would have ever gotten enough courage to use North Atlantic seawater from any place that close to New Jersey or the Hudson...LOL!

Thanks for the input.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallon reef and 150 reef
Patrick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2009, 03:41 PM   #25
Paul B
Premium Member

I don't use 100% NSW. If it was not as heavy I would though. I find it surprising that people on the coast would use ASW.
All of our animals came from NSW, none of them came from ASW, whats the problem?

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971