Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/15/2009, 07:37 PM   #76
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

I got it. The 1/4 will be a 7/16" bit.

The only thing wrong with mine for the 1/2 is I guess the bit is really 1/64 too big. Still works.

Current Tank Info: NONE - Sold - Can't afford it right now!
coralfragger101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2009, 09:27 AM   #77
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

It's still work in progress. Ended up making a few more modifications due to the parts that were available at the time I was shopping.

Unread 02/16/2009, 10:10 AM   #78
8BALL_99
Registered Member

lol Wow that looks tall. Looks good though. Just dont forget the vent tube at the top. I never could get mine to run right without it. The reactor will end up just filling with ozone then the air pump stops pushing air. I guess due to the pressure.

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Why do we drive on the parkway and park in the driveway?

Isn't is it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Current Tank Info: Custom Starfire 300,92Gallon,35 Gallon Hex,Two 40Gallons,125Gallon,
8BALL_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2009, 12:25 PM   #79
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

Now I just have to wait for the nano balls to get here. I just ordered them last night. 2000 of them. Yea - this is tall. I figured it would only help with dwell time. I've got like 74" of tube to fill with balls.

Unread 02/16/2009, 01:14 PM   #80
8BALL_99
Registered Member

Looks good. I'm sure the taller the better. I really could have made mine about another foot taller before hitting the shelf above, but I just made it so it was above the overflow and didnt' really think about making it as tall as I could. Yeah I need to order some more myself. I've only got one box worth in mine the rest are the larger bio balls. The nano ones really do fit the 2" pipe perfect. Only draw back is it takes alot of them. When you get yours if you dont mind post back and let me know how much pipe one box fills for sure.

Current Tank Info: Custom Starfire 300,92Gallon,35 Gallon Hex,Two 40Gallons,125Gallon,
Unread 02/17/2009, 07:19 PM   #81
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

I took it for a test drive with no bio balls today and it seems that I have a problem.

No water leaks but I don't get any air at all into the tube. The only thing I can think of is that the weight of the water within the tube is too much for the air pump and check valve and that was with using a coralife luft pump.

I'm not really ssure what to do now.

I supposed I could try putting the ozone reactor above the water level and try it with no check valve.

Any ideas?

Unread 02/17/2009, 07:35 PM   #82
8BALL_99
Registered Member

Make sure your check valve is good and turned the right direction. Did you use a piece of limewood on the inside of the reactor like mine?. I'm sure your air pump is more then enough. I also use a Coralife Luft pump and mine works even on a very low setting. Turned all the way up it looks like my skimmer inside the reactor lol. Yours is a little taller but I dont think a extra couple of feet would make that much difference.

Unread 02/17/2009, 07:38 PM   #83
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

I used a normal air stone. LFS didn't have any wood ones. The check valve is a bit hard to blow through but apparantly they are supposed to be like that because I have 3 here and they are all alike. When it was filled with water I couldn't even blow into it.

I'm not messing with it anymore tonight. Tomorrow's another story.

Unread 02/17/2009, 07:43 PM   #84
nreefer
Registered Member

My DIY Ozone Reactor

Great thread, it inspired me to remove the ozone from my skimmer and create a separate reactor. 4" diameter tube, 48 inches tall with an Ocean Runner 3600 mesh mod for recirculation.
My ORP would hover around 325-340 with my ozone generator running 24/7 when I had it plumbed into the skimmer. Now I can get my ORP up to 400 and maintain it within 10 points either side with this new reactor. And the bonus is it only runs about 4-6 hours a day.

nreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2009, 07:44 PM   #85
8BALL_99
Registered Member

Shouldn't be very hard at all to blow into your check valve. That would be your problem if I had to guess. A standard air stone takes less pressure to use then limewood so Thats not an issue.

Unread 02/17/2009, 09:20 PM   #86
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

What kind of check valve are you using. I just picked up the cheap $3 Hagen check valves.

I didn't even think about making this thing a recirculating one. Nice job nreefer.

Unread 02/17/2009, 09:21 PM   #87
IBASSFSH
Registered Member

How long do you think it will take the ozone to deteriorate the pvc and cause it to crack or break? I know that when I used an Aqua-C skimmer with ozone, it would eat through the John Guest fitting rather quickly.

IBASSFSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2009, 09:23 PM   #88
IBASSFSH
Registered Member

The air should go through the check valve easily unless you are blowing in the wrong side of it.

IBASSFSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2009, 09:36 PM   #89
8BALL_99
Registered Member

Looks good nreefer!

coralfragger, I was just using a cheap duckbill type check valve but it stopped working after like a day so now I use one that had sitting in a bin on a shelf. Not sure who makes it. It looks the same as a won brothers check valve.. Not sure if thats what it is though. Its very easy to blow through. My Ozone generator sits above my reactor but I still use a check valve just incase. A few places sell ozone safe check valves but they cost 7-8 bucks each.

IBASSFSH, Not sure. My skimmer on this system is a H&S A200 that I paid like 1200 bucks for. So I much rather risk the 20 bucks worth of PVC then my skimmer. My skimmer is suppose to be ozone safe and it has pvc unions and fittings on it. So I'm guessing the PVC should be ok.

Unread 02/18/2009, 05:51 AM   #90
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

NREEFER: Your pump isn't loud with the ozone being injected "through" it?

I really like the idea of the recirc model. That must be fantastic dwell time.

I may have to remod mine. I have a mag 5 sitting here doing nothing.

Last edited by coralfragger101; 02/18/2009 at 06:12 AM.
Unread 02/18/2009, 07:40 AM   #91
landlord
Registered Member

coralfragger - I set mine up using the Hagen check valve. I keep the air pump on top of the canopy. Haven't had any issues.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon SPS Reef (Sump, Fuge, Skimmer, CX reactor, Chemical filtration, Overflow) by Lifereef, 2x400W 20K Radiums on IceCaps, 2x39W T5 "For fun", RK2, 4x Tunze 6055, Aqua Logic 1/3 HP Chiller, DIY RO/DI ATO 2-Part via Litermeter. Lotsa Clownfish
landlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2009, 07:45 AM   #92
nreefer
Registered Member

coralfragger101 - No the pump is dead silent. The only way I can hear it is if I put my ear to the pump and then all I hear is the air being diced up. Having it configured this way, I am putting about 90 gal/hour through the reactor and the Ocean Runner pump is recirculating that water at least 5 to 6 times through the unit.

Unread 02/18/2009, 10:33 AM   #93
fordsvt04
Registered Member

nreefer got any more pics of it or when it was being built? How you make the flange?

fordsvt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2009, 10:50 AM   #94
nreefer
Registered Member

I don't have anymore pictures of it being made. I bought the flange from Saltwater Connections.

Unread 02/18/2009, 11:29 AM   #95
8BALL_99
Registered Member

A flange is very easy to make. You just need a Jig for your router. Just a piece of wood with holes in it attatched to the base of your router. Its a little hard to explain but if you look up Circule cutting jigs in google it should be very easy to understand. Here is some rings and flanges I cut for my CA reactor

Unread 02/18/2009, 12:03 PM   #96
fordsvt04
Registered Member

whats their website??? I dont have a router

Unread 02/18/2009, 12:06 PM   #97
fordsvt04
Registered Member

8ball what did you use as a gasket? I cant seem to find a website that shows how to use that part your talking about.... guess its kinda hard to find something you dont know what your looking for lol

Unread 02/18/2009, 12:20 PM   #98
stolcpart
Registered Member

The website for the parts is www.reefersaquariums.com, they have some of the parts that are harder to manufacture without the proper tools.

stolcpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2009, 03:03 PM   #99
8BALL_99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fordsvt04
8ball what did you use as a gasket? I cant seem to find a website that shows how to use that part your talking about.... guess its kind hard to find something you don't know what your looking for lol
I used an oring to start with but I didn't cut the groove smooth enough so I ended up just using neoprene. I plan on redoing the lid for the oring now that I have a new router bit. Here is a picture of a Circle jig. Its nothing more then a piece of plywood with a hole in the end.

Here is a Picture of a commercial made jig. Just a piece of plastic with the holes predrilled in it.

Last edited by 8BALL_99; 02/18/2009 at 03:08 PM.
Unread 02/19/2009, 07:14 AM   #100
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

So I just finished up remodding mine so that it is recirculating using a Mag 5.

First thing I found out is that doing it this way, you don't even need an air pump if you set up the ozone inlet on the inlet side of the pump. Actually it might work as well on the outlet side if it is close to the pump.

At any rate. The Mag 5 clatters like there is no tomorrow with all the air in the lines. It is unacceptable.

I'm going to have to pick up a valve in order to control the amount of air that is introduced and see if I can find a happy medium otherwise it will be back to the drawing board for me.