Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/09/2009, 06:10 PM   #1
chem368
Registered Member

Skimmer Size

I am new to saltwater but have had FW for about 10 years, I am currently in the process of converting my 150 Gal tank to saltwater. My question is about the need/size of a skimmer. I do not have a sump as my tank is not drilled so I am currently running 2 Fluval 404s with Carbon. I would like to add a Skimmer but there is not much room behind my tank, I have found a nice deal for a CPR dual bak-pak but it is only rated for 100 Gal. My question is, is some skimmer better than none? OR is getting an under sized skimmer pointless?

My thoughts are that I could add a second skimmer to this if I find another good deal on one. Would this work?

Also, I am not sure if this is related but the alge in my tank is more yellowish that green, and my love rock is not growing any coraline. Is this a lighting problem or a water quality problem. My tank finished cycleing last week and all I have in the is a mated pair of clown fish.

chem368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2009, 06:19 PM   #2
kraze3
Registered Member

To Reef Central

you could do 2 skimmers but its probably gonna be more electricity than running one bigger skimmer.
Coraline will eventually start to grow, sometimes its slow sometimes its fast. Your tank is still very new. In the begining you need to take things slow.

kraze3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2009, 06:26 PM   #3
chem368
Registered Member

What would be the effects of only running one for a couple months? Is one better than none? or is running one that is too small for my tank pointless and a waste of money?

Unread 02/09/2009, 06:26 PM   #4
chem368
Registered Member

What would be the effects of only running one for a couple months? Is one better than none? or is running one that is too small for my tank pointless and a waste of money?

Unread 02/09/2009, 07:22 PM   #5
kraze3
Registered Member

Well one will help but I always think bigger is better. You could run two if thats what you want to do just seems like it would be easier to care for one than 2. The fluvals will also helo you for the time being. If you think your gonna upgrade then run the one for now and upgrade asap. Then you can sell the smaller skimmer and make some money back. I would take it slow, keep your additions to a minimum until you get all your equipment figured out etc.

kraze3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2009, 09:11 PM   #6
jon99
Registered Member

some is better than none. you can get by with an undersized skimmer BUT you will be limited in how much livestock you can keep, how much you can feed, and will send more $ on salt and water doing more water changes to keep the water quality in check. If I was going with a hang on back I'd go with an octopus. Check out this page...

http://www.aquacave.com/SearchResult...CategoryID=632

...there are several. Not sure which is rated for what and which is best. You'll have to do a lil research. If I can make another suggestion I'd say drill your tank and go with a sump. If you end up getting into this hobby (and you probably will) you will be kicking yourself later for not doing it while it was empty. I ran a 55 gallon sumpless for about 6 years. I spent 5 of those years waiting on the day I buy my house so I can do a bigger tank and do it right, with a sump. What a difference it makes!!! Any way, if you have the ability, I'd do it now.

Current tank: 210 gallon mixed reef 2x250w radium, 1x400w radium, 2x vortech mp40, 2 seaswirls. 40 gallon frag tank 250w radium, vortech mp10, seaswirl. 55 gallon sump w/ remote DSB, turf scrubber, SR

Current Tank Info: 210 in the works
jon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2009, 09:14 PM   #7
jon99
Registered Member

sorry, just noticed your tank is already up. maybe a siphon type overflow box? never tried one but I heard they can run flawlessly for years.

jon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2009, 09:18 PM   #8
chem368
Registered Member

Thanks Jon, I have been looking at the overflows. I suspect in the next 4-6 months I will be building my sump through the use of overflows. My only concern is that they are harder to protect yourself against flooding.

I figure I can then sell the fluvals and put that money to a nice big skimmer.

Unread 02/09/2009, 09:21 PM   #9
Mariner
Registered Member

Some skimming is definitely better than none, but that Bakpack is not going to help very much. It may be rated for 100g, but like most skimmer ratings, that's pretty optimistic
An AquaCRemora Pro would be better, and it doesn't take up much room behind the tank.
An Octopus skimmer would be better still and they are very popular right now -- you'd have to check their size though to make sure one would fit.
FWIW,
Mariner

~The perception is that perception is reality, but the reality is that it isn't.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef; 135g mixed reef
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote