Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/15/2009, 07:08 AM   #1
sw-addict
Registered Member

nano substrate?

I have a question for you. I have a 120gallon reef that has been up for 6 years and about 4 months ago I decided I wanted a small softie tank on my desk. I built a 1.5 gallon that the sand, liverock and filter media came from the other tank in hopes to skip the cycle process. About 1 week ago I built a new encolsure for the tank and thought that I might like black sand, but after finding it in 20# bags I bought some black rock that someone might put into a betta tank. was this a bad idea? I have not checked water parameters in 3-4years and have no desire to begin the regimen again, I can tell you that the shrooms and zoas look good and are fully opened.

sw-addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2009, 08:54 AM   #2
mischief nite
Registered Member

It's my understanding that the larger sized substrate (crushed coral/ pebbles) can result in high nitrates due to the crevices for the detritus(sp?) to hide. That's what I've heard anyway......good luck

mischief nite is offline   Reply With Quote