Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/17/2009, 06:33 PM   #1
limitup
Premium Member

My Finnex 30g build - let the fun begin!

So after having a 140g in-wall in my last house, I've been without a tank for awhile since moving in to my new house. I'm super busy and wanted to try something a little simpler this time around ... so for now I'm just going to set-up a 30g Finnex in my new home office.

Let the fun begin! Here are a few pics of the tank in my office, and a close-up of the cool stand I found for it. If anyone is looking for a nice wood stand that fits the Finnex perfectly, shoot me a PM. It's about 10X nicer and sturdier than the Finnex stand, and only 3X as expensive.

First question - unfortunately the top of my stand is not 100% flat. I'm concerned about the way the tank sits on the stand. Would it be a good idea to place a small rubber mat inbetween the tank and stand (like a thin exercise mat cut to size?)

[IMG]http://i40.*******.com/8vn14z.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.*******.com/2ld7hy0.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by limitup; 02/17/2009 at 06:42 PM.
limitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2009, 07:13 PM   #2
java
Registered Member

got enough monitors :P

is there is a ridge or something in the stand? i would think the mat wouldnt hurt unless it gets wet and moldey or something.

java is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2009, 07:19 PM   #3
limitup
Premium Member

No the top of the stand is actually black marble. And for whatever reason it's just not perfectly flat. It seems to bow up in the middle a bit. Not sure if I should worry about it or not.

Off to home depot and the LFS tomorrow to pick up some bits and pieces, sand, and some live rock and get this thing going. I'll post some more pics as it moves along.

Unread 02/17/2009, 07:36 PM   #4
JeffReef
Registered Member

How tall is that stand?

JeffReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2009, 07:45 PM   #5
limitup
Premium Member

It's 48" tall. And 24"x18" which is the exact dimensions of the Finnex tank. I'll need a stool or short ladder to work in the tank, but once it's done I don't plan on messing with it too much. I wanted something where the tank was about eye level without having to squat down to look at it. All I need to do is swap the glass in the top section for wood, or just tint it or something to hide all the junk that's going in there.

Unread 02/17/2009, 08:44 PM   #6
limitup
Premium Member

Oh and I forgot to thank Ken at oceanreeflections.com where I bought the tank, and also Ken at Finnex. I had a few questions and both of these guys responded within a matter of hours. Awesome customer service.

And the tank is beautiful. Finnex rocks!

Unread 02/18/2009, 03:28 PM   #7
Firekat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by limitup
Oh and I forgot to thank Ken at oceanreeflections.com where I bought the tank, and also Ken at Finnex. I had a few questions and both of these guys responded within a matter of hours. Awesome customer service.

And the tank is beautiful. Finnex rocks!
oceanreeflections.com is where I bought mine and Ken is EXCELLENT to work with!

Current Tank Info: 30 gal Finnex, custom stand, 44 lbs of LS, 33 lbs LR, nano Hydor Koralia & Hydor Koralia 1 for water circulation, finnex skimmer
Firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2009, 02:24 PM   #8
limitup
Premium Member

Ok so I got the tank set-up and made the best out of the live rock I was able to "borrow" from a friend's tank. I need to move a few pieces around but I like the look overall.

Added a Koralia 1 for more flow ... will re-evaluate the flow down the line when I start adding corals.

Added a Tunze 9002 skimmer which works well. The tank is still "clean" so it's not doing much yet but it's pretty quiet and I like it.

Also setup a Tunze Osmolator for auto-topoff with a 5 gal tank in my stand. I used one for years in my previous tank and it served me well, and auto-topoff is a must IMO with a tank this small.

Added some live rock rubble, Jager 125W heater and cheato to the fuge area.

Only other real "mod" so far was to cut the stock return shorter so it doesn't stick out into the tank so much.

The stock pump is pretty quiet but I'm also going to be testing the new Tunze Silence pump which puts out more flow and is supposed to be "silent".

Got my temp, PH and salinity controllers all set-up, so it's just a little bit of the waiting game now. While I'm waiting I'm going to work on hiding all the cords, etc. etc.

[IMG]http://i44.*******.com/99j6om.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.*******.com/15nuiio.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i40.*******.com/2ry5awg.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by limitup; 02/21/2009 at 02:32 PM.
Unread 02/21/2009, 03:27 PM   #9
Firekat
Registered Member

I like the aquascaping; nice work!

Current Tank Info: 30 gal Finnex, custom stand, 44 lbs of LS, 33 lbs LR, nano Hydor Koralia & Hydor Koralia 1 for water circulation, finnex skimmer
Firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2009, 06:23 PM   #10
TonyTheTiger
Registered Member

Welcome to the Finnex club. I like the aquascaping

TonyTheTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2009, 04:12 PM   #11
dcook
Registered Member

Nice setup! I'll be tagging along. Q. Tank dim are 24 by 18 by 16 i think i read that the volume dim are 24 by 13 by 16 = just over 21 gal is that correct? I to don't trust overflows sumps etc. I like the idea of OTO for this size tank. I'm still researching after shutting down my 90 gal i still have the reef (crack) in my veins.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal
dcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2009, 04:24 PM   #12
limitup
Premium Member

Yeah those measurements are pretty close. As far as the exact water capacity of the main display I don't know. If it's truly a 30g tank I don't see how the display could be 21g and the rear chambers 9g. Just guessing I would say the rear chambers are no more than 3-4g.

Anyway I will be posting some updates soon. My tank is ready to go as it was setup with established sand, rock and water from another system.

I have a bunch of snails and crabs, a few shrimp, and added my other fish which consist of a 6-line wrasse, blackcap basslet, and a red banded goby and pistol shrimp pair.

I've made a bunch of little mods to the tank here and there, and it's ready for corals now...

Unread 03/04/2009, 05:47 PM   #13
dcook
Registered Member

didnt mean to be a downer i like the finnex nano better than ALL the so called nano cubes SORRY

Current Tank Info: 100 gal
dcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2009, 06:31 PM   #14
mnml
Registered Member

your rock work looks awesome!

what type of corals are you planning to keep?

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 130.4
mnml is offline   Reply With Quote