Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/10/2009, 11:55 AM   #1
MHannon
Registered Member

Serpent Sea Stars Reef Safe?

I have a green/yellow serpent sea star under the assumption they were reef safe. Somebody recently told me they will eat snails. After he mentioned it I did notice I have been losing snails and some hermits. I have also mysteriously lost a couple fairly large fish. They just disappeared, never found the bodies. I just figured the snails were falling off of the rocks and not able to turn themselves over. Is any of it true?

Current Tank Info: AGA 90gal W/ megaflow, 75gal sump in basement, Mag18 return, Vortech MP40 & MP10, six bulb 48" 54w TEK T-5, ASM G-3 W/ gate valve mod, softies, LPS, SPS, clams, lots of live rock & sand, & a 12 Gallon Nano Cube Deluxe w/ 70watt halide
MHannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2009, 11:56 AM   #2
MHannon
Registered Member

Everything on line says they are reef safe, but this guy has me paranoid now.

Current Tank Info: AGA 90gal W/ megaflow, 75gal sump in basement, Mag18 return, Vortech MP40 & MP10, six bulb 48" 54w TEK T-5, ASM G-3 W/ gate valve mod, softies, LPS, SPS, clams, lots of live rock & sand, & a 12 Gallon Nano Cube Deluxe w/ 70watt halide
Unread 03/10/2009, 12:42 PM   #3
rayjay
Registered Member

I have six serpents in 3 different tanks, and, haven't had any problems in the 10 plus years I've had them.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2009, 01:03 PM   #4
MHannon
Registered Member

Thats what I thought, But this guy swore they suck the snails right out of their shells.

Unread 03/10/2009, 01:42 PM   #5
rgentry123
Registered Member

i think he's thinking about brittle stars which from whati understand ae not reef safe

Unread 03/10/2009, 02:30 PM   #6
noahm
Registered Member

The green serpent/olive brittle is predatory. Almost all the rest are totally harmless. The green will sit with its middle up in the air/water and basically drop on unsuspecting prey. Here is a pic of a green. Don't know what yours looks like, but this is the fishy killer.

noahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2009, 03:39 PM   #7
bubbly
Registered Member

From what I hear the green is good enough for your refugium, but that's about it.

I remember hearing from one guy that the green serpent will eat corals if it gets hungry enough.

I have heard others say that they suspected their serpents (the non-green ones) -- you might want to drop it in the fuge to be safe.

bubbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2009, 05:00 PM   #8
papajojo
Registered Member

ime i added one to my dt and all of my pods disappeared, ive watched it eat anything it comes into contact with mines a barbed bristle star. it eats micro stars and pods after i removed it from the dt i noticed in about 2 months my pod levels were booming

papajojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2009, 06:25 PM   #9
noboddi
Registered Member

serpent stars, if they get big enough, can be a problem. But they are still reef safe as they don't eat corals. Eating fish doesn't disqualify you from being reef safe. Or snails. Lots of things eat snails

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon (36x18x20), 40 gallon sump, 25 gallon refugium, TEK 6x39w fixture, Osmolator, Kalk Reactor, Vortech MP20, 2 Koralia 3s on controller, Acropora, Anthelia, Montipora, Starry Blenny, Yellow Watchman, Rainford Goby, Tiger Gobies
noboddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2009, 06:42 PM   #10
mmounajjed
Registered Member

I lost a cleaner shrimp and a Mandarin Guppy to a serpentine star.
just in front of my eyes

mmounajjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2009, 07:00 PM   #11
Stanley-Reefer
Registered Member

I had one snatch a mandarin as well!

But I have many serpents, fromias, and linkias in both tanks.

Stanley-Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2009, 08:26 PM   #12
MHannon
Registered Member

I have had a mandarin, dragon goby, and fire fish all disappear within a few months of each other. All were established and very healthy. I just attributed their deaths to some sickness... although all my other fish are perfectly fine. If it was the serpent star that ate them, it would make sense. The mandarin goby, dragon goby, and fire fish all stay near the bottom/sand where the star hangs out.

Unread 12/14/2015, 04:28 PM   #13
ulli
Registered Member

I just watched one eat a tube anemone.
I had just feed the anemone and i guess the Star could smell it and ate the tube anemone.
I pulled it out of it not sure if the anemone is alive or not.

ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2015, 05:55 PM   #14
MeghanisradxD
Registered Member

I've had serpent stars in all my reef tanks and have never had an issue with them eating fish or inverts.

Brittle stars on the other hand...

MeghanisradxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2015, 07:06 PM   #15
Bent
I got nothin'

I currently have 3 pretty humongous serpent stars.

They literally all sit under their prospective rocks and I rarely if ever see them move unless I stereo feed the tank.

I do target feed them shrimp chunks though while I feed the nems and engineer. So that might attribute to their docility. (Is that even a word?)

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2015, 10:44 AM   #16
DocHogan
Registered Member

From my understanding serpent stars are like angel fish. May be fine for awhile even a long while but there is always a risk. If you have smaller fish I would error on the side of caution. JMO.

Unread 12/16/2015, 10:45 AM   #17
Scorpius
Stick Head

My brown serpent starfish is king of my sump.

Unread 12/16/2015, 10:49 AM   #18
BrandonFlorida
Registered Member

I have Harlequin Serpent star and those guys are awesome, they leave everyone alone.. I recommend them to anyone looking for a serpent that is reef/snail/fish safe..

BrandonFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2015, 04:40 AM   #19
_E_
Professional Lurker

I've had a green serpent star for over 10 years now and never had an issue with him. He's the oldest surviving thing in my tanks.

"If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination."

Current Tank Info: 140 DSA with basement sump room
_E_ is offline   Reply With Quote