Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/19/2009, 10:42 AM   #1
gaetanocallista
Registered Member

dKh in sps tank: wich is the best value?

This is one of the most controversial value: one of the most italian sellers said me that he tested tropical water and see that dKh is 6. Usually I read that it's important maintain the range about 7 - 9.
Now I want know (for sps tank) if it's better to have a value of 6 - 7 ore more.
I see that a lot of people have 9 or more (10 -12) and others have lower values!
Wat do you think about that?

gaetanocallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Helter Skilter
OT Community Organizer

I prefer to run around 9-10dkh. I have had Acropora tissue slough around 7dkh, but haven't seen any negative affects from an ALk level as high as 14dkh. I guess I try to error on the side of caution, without going overboard.

Current Tank Info: 20 gallon cube with some coral and stuff
Helter Skilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2009, 12:17 PM   #3
reefnetworth
Premium Member

i keep mine @ 10.5 dKH.
Mg @ 3X's the Ca level of 470-475, Mg @ 1400 - 1475.

Current Tank Info: SPS dominated barebottom display with BB sump since 2005, most consistant parameters in 19+ years of reefkeeping.
reefnetworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2009, 12:23 PM   #4
tatuvaaj
Pro-Protozoa

Quote:
Originally posted by Helter Skilter
I prefer to run around 9-10dkh.
Me too

Raising it closer to 4 meq/l while maintaining calcium around 420 ppm increases precipitate inside pumps too much for me (pH around 8.3). Too much work

Current Tank Info: 240 gal + 50 gal sump,SDSB,LR,ATB Medium, 2x250W HQI + actinic,Balling
tatuvaaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2009, 01:28 AM   #5
gaetanocallista
Registered Member

Anyone lower (6 - 7) dKh?

Unread 04/20/2009, 05:25 AM   #6
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Randy recommends maintaining an alk. level between 7-11 dKH. He has stated that it does not matter to him as long as it remains between those levels.

Some of your sps, vodka dosers and ULN hobbyists claim that they will get tip burn in many of their coral if the alk. rises above I believe around 8 dKH. They keep it at 7-8 dKH. I have not experienced this.

I keep my alk. at around 11 dKH and find this helps to keep my pH above 7.8 due to high CO2 levels in my home. I have had no problems with this.

I have elevated my alk. level up to 16 dKH and saw no problems at this level. There is some research that indicated high levels of alk. promote more calcification in coral where calcification increased proportionately as the levels increased up to around 21 dkH. You will get a lot of precipitation at these levels on your glass....etc. It will take a lot of alk. supplement to maintain these levels also.

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2009, 05:48 AM   #7
gaetanocallista
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HighlandReefer
Randy recommends maintaining an alk. level between 7-11 dKH. He has stated that it does not matter to him as long as it remains between those levels.

Some of your sps, vodka dosers and ULN hobbyists claim that they will get tip burn in many of their coral if the alk. rises above I believe around 8 dKH. They keep it at 7-8 dKH. I have not experienced this.
That is the question!
Burn tips at dkh 9
Unfortunately it's also my experience!

Unread 04/20/2009, 06:02 AM   #8
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

This subject would be better discussed with Genetics, as he is one of the very knowledgeable hobbyist's who has experienced this.

IMHO, it seems to be found in the ULN environment more frequently, where nitrate and phosphate are being kept to minimal levels. Perhaps the phosphate and/or nitrate become too low and this is the cause?

Unread 04/20/2009, 09:47 AM   #9
tatuvaaj
Pro-Protozoa

I'm pretty sure that this problem is not caused by low inorganic nutrient concentrations alone. Organic carbon dosing and "ULNS" isn't anything new after all. It's been around for at least 10 years and many very successful hobbyists have had "ULNS" long before it was called that

Maybe it is caused by some other components commercial ULN systems include? Or maybe it is the lack of food available to fast growing corals?

Current Tank Info: 240 gal + 50 gal sump,SDSB,LR,ATB Medium, 2x250W HQI + actinic,Balling
Unread 04/20/2009, 10:58 AM   #10
BigJay
Registered Member

Alk is between 10-12, with no burnt tips to speak of.

It's hard to stay much lower than that with a calcium reactor and frequent water changes with reef crystals salt at 12 DKH out of the bucket.

Unread 04/20/2009, 04:46 PM   #11
fourzero
Registered Member

You may be on to something here. Zooxanthellae concentration is reduced in ULNS. They may act as a "shield" of sorts for certain wavelengths of light.

I have not witnessed burnt tips, and I have undetectable levels of NO3/PO4 and high alk (4 meq/L, or 11.2dkh). Just thinking aloud. I too would like Genetics or Randy's input here.

Quote:
This subject would be better discussed with Genetics, as he is one of the very knowledgeable hobbyist's who has experienced this.

IMHO, it seems to be found in the ULN environment more frequently, where nitrate and phosphate are being kept to minimal levels. Perhaps the phosphate and/or nitrate become too low and this is the cause?

fourzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2009, 09:24 PM   #12
Reefer08
Moved On

Alkalinity of 6.5-7.5 is the best for SPS

Reefer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2009, 12:05 AM   #13
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I don't think there is a best level for all systems.

As noted above the optimal level may depend on many variables, including: nutrient availability, excess or paucity, food, the levels of alkalinity to which corals have adapted , the amount consumed by calcareous organisms in the tank and the bacterial activity in the tank; to name a few.

Many of the advocates of ultra low nutrient systems such as zeovit systems recommend lower alkalinity in these systems. Perhaps as Tatu suggests corals and/or their zooxanthelae in ultra low nutirent systems don't get enough nourishment to sustain more rapid growth levels encouraged by higher alakalinity, In any case it is pretty clear that higher alkalinity makes it easier for corals to calcify .

The norm for natural seawater is generally around 7 dkh but in a closed system levels can deplete rather quickly if growth is occurring so a margin over that amount is often chosen.If it falls much lower it can discourage calcification.

FWIW I keep mine on the high side at 11.5 to 12dkh with high calcium 540ppm and ph around 8,25, phosphate at .07ppm and nitrate at 2 to 5ppm I'm happy with the results for sps and other corals. I do not experience much abiotic precipitation but do see good sps growth.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2009, 07:55 PM   #14
Helter Skilter
OT Community Organizer

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe having your Alk higher than natural SW offsets some of the problems associated with the lower than optimal pH that reef tanks can experience. The higher Alk helps minimize the pH swings, and also helps make up for reduced calcification rates of SPS in water with a lower than natural pH.

Current Tank Info: 20 gallon cube with some coral and stuff
Helter Skilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2009, 08:18 PM   #15
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

I keep my alk. at around 11.5 for this reason also. If I let it drop below 11.0 my pH will drop below where I like it (7.9 or above). Of course I am running kalk. If I let my alk. get much higher, then I will start to get a calcium carbonate haze just above the sand level on my glass.

Unread 04/21/2009, 08:32 PM   #16
elijaher
Registered Member

The most important about alk need not to swing.

elijaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2009, 09:10 PM   #17
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I don't think higher alkalinity will offset day night ph swings or at least I don't understand why it would. I agree it will,in my opinion , make calcification easier and offset some of the difficulty corals can experience with this function at lower ph levels by making bi carbonate more readily available.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
Unread 04/22/2009, 03:39 AM   #18
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

The higher the alk. the higher the buffering compacity and hence the lower the pH swings at night due to increased CO2.

The Relationship Between Alkalinity and pH.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2002/chem.htm

From Randy's article:

"The most important fact to reefkeepers is that the buffering due to bicarbonate and carbonate, at a given pH, is directly related to the carbonate alkalinity. If you double the alkalinity, you double b, and hence have twice as much buffering due to the carbonate and bicarbonate system. In normal seawater, the carbonate/bicarbonate system provides a substantial portion of the total buffering (which is quantified below). Consequently, marine aquaria with higher alkalinity tend to have greater buffering against pH swings."

Last edited by HighlandReefer; 04/22/2009 at 03:46 AM.
Unread 04/22/2009, 08:18 AM   #19
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Thanks Cliff, I've read that before and knew that once. Just couldn't find it in my head last night.

Unread 04/22/2009, 08:33 AM   #20
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

I have those senior moments myself.

Unread 04/22/2009, 09:02 AM   #21
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Quote:
I have those senior moments myself.
Exactly.If it wasn't so silly;I'd worry.

Unread 04/22/2009, 09:21 AM   #22
moonyguy
Premium Member

Mine is at Alk 6.1 and Ca is 410. Slowly raising it to 6.5.

moonyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2009, 01:28 PM   #23
tatuvaaj
Pro-Protozoa

The problem is that you'll need very high alkalinity if you try to compensate for elevated pCO2 commonly found in indoor air and CO2 produced in aquarium. I think it more useful to worry about CO2 than alkalinity when battling chronically low pH.

Just my $0.02

Unread 04/22/2009, 01:33 PM   #24
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Tatu,

Not that I disagree with you, but what is the difference between pCO2 & CO2 for us non-chemist types.

Unread 04/22/2009, 01:47 PM   #25
tatuvaaj
Pro-Protozoa

HighlandReefer,

Hey I'm not chemist either !

pCO2 means partial pressure and it is used to describe amount of gas in a sample of mixed gases like air. I'm sure no one will care even if we leave the 'p' out

[Edit: you'll find pCO2 used in many scientific texts, like here: http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten.../5447/2043a/F1 ]