Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/07/2009, 03:55 PM   #1
bjhubb
Registered Member

HOB Filter

I want to lower my nitrates, which are about 15-20, and was thinking about removing my HOB filter and put it on my QT. Do I need to slowly reduce the use of the filter or can I just take it off?

bjhubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2009, 04:08 PM   #2
redfishsc
Registered Member

Depends on a LOT of things, such as the size of the filter, size of your tank (75g, right?), your bioload, and how much rock you have (just to name a few).

The safe route is to remove a portion of the filter media every couple of days, spread it out over a week or two.

If you have a very low bioload and at least 30-40 lbs of rock, you should be able to remove it entirely.

FWIW, The filter isn't the "source" of your nitrates. Now, junk accumulating in it can help metabolize trapped crud into nitrates, but that's handled by cleaning the material weekly.

You can leave the HOB in place but remove all the filter media if it is providing good water flow for certain corals. You can also use it as a small refugium, as some folks do, but on a 75, even the biggest HOB won't be of much use.

“The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins” -- Søren Kierkegaard

Current Tank Info: ghetto grad school reef.....11g rimless tank, 36X9X9, lit by Cree and Rebels scobbled together. Stocked mostly with free stuff I got from panhandling my fellow reefers.
redfishsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2009, 04:41 PM   #3
bjhubb
Registered Member

There are no fish in tank. Lost some to ich and I left it empty over the last two months. Started qt about one week ago(should have about 9 months ago). I have about 90 lbs. live rock. Would like to put HOB on qt to add more water flow and volume than the little HOB that came with the 10g qt.

bjhubb is offline   Reply With Quote