Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/03/2009, 12:05 AM   #1
crsaz
Moved On

best growth K temp rating

I am in the final stages of piecing my 125 sps dominated system together and that means it time to decide on lights. I want insane growth but I dont want to lose color. I was thinking of going with 6700k iwasaki bulbs in 3 250 fixtures with 3 fulham work horse ballasts powering 660 watts of t-5 actinic lighting my question is will this be enough actinic lighting to keep colors and drown out the yellow?

also could someone recomend a bulb with the best of both worlds? growth and color

crsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2009, 02:07 AM   #2
dots
Registered Member

That is the Unicorn that everyone is chasing.....hence not many replies.

I will mention not to over emphasize lighting, as Flow and Water Quality are just as important. All three effect the results you seek.

Unread 07/03/2009, 01:36 PM   #3
Zylski
Registered Member

In my opinion from what i have found on my own 90 gallon system is i run 2 250W 10k and 4 110W VHOs 03 actinic blue. I get insane growth rate and i also get some really brilliant colors. But also like dots said its also depenedent on flow and water quality.

Zylski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2009, 01:54 PM   #4
broke1
Registered Member

From what I have seen, and please do not take this as any kind of expert opinion, VHOs or T5 Blue pluses can really blue up a yellow tank.

I have used 10k with Blue Pluses and Actinics. The actinics didn't do much, but VHOs are still the actinic kings to me.

Current Tank Info: Too big, yet too small
broke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2009, 05:57 PM   #5
bigmatt
Registered Member

radium 20k's in lumenbrights on coralvue dimmable ballasts, you will be in love

bigmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2009, 09:56 PM   #6
crsaz
Moved On

well those are the ballasts I am using, but why 20K? Im not o big fan of super blue tanks 14k is too blue for me. we have reflux 12k's in lumen brights powered by coralvue dimmables at work and I do like the dimmable feature and the 12k's are nice and whiteish.

why would you suggest radium 20k's? are they whiter then most?

Quote:
but VHOs are still the actinic kings to me.
what is your reasoning behind that statment. from what i've read t-5's deliver more light per watt due to smaller bulb size(less light is bounced of the reflector and back through the bulb)

also what are some good t5/vho bulbs that bring out the pinks and reds?

crsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2009, 10:00 PM   #7
newtome
Moved On

iwasaki 6500K .....lol you will love the yellow!

newtome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2009, 11:24 PM   #8
Zylski
Registered Member

I agree Vhos are king. I think with a 10k bulb and vhos youll bring out all the pinks and reds plus get really good growth. With my combintation im getting some insane growth. Here is a growth shot of a tricolor validad in my tank the picture is a little under 2 months apart. keep in mind the frag was recently fraged but it has grown an inch or more on some branches that were non existing in the first picture. I do have some green color fading in the second picture but it is all back now. It is due to the fact my vho ballast fried and it was without the vhos for about 2 weeks.

Zylski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2009, 12:06 AM   #9
newtome
Moved On

nobody has any love for the iwasakis?

newtome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2009, 08:13 AM   #10
bigmatt
Registered Member

thje radium 20k,s are not a super blu bulb, They are a crisp whitish blue but bring out all colors. I had reeflux 12k's and 20'k moguls, iwisaki 14k and pheonix 20k de's and the radium blows them all out of the water for color and growth.

bigmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2009, 09:41 AM   #11
broke1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigmatt
thje radium 20k,s are not a super blu bulb, They are a crisp whitish blue but bring out all colors. I had reeflux 12k's and 20'k moguls, iwisaki 14k and pheonix 20k de's and the radium blows them all out of the water for color and growth.
I agree to a point. On the Galaxy or Lumatek(sp) which over drive the bulb they definately have a crisp whitish blue. When normally driven they are for the most part a blue bulb.

Current Tank Info: Too big, yet too small
broke1 is offline   Reply With Quote