Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/07/2009, 11:03 PM   #76
IFbettas
Registered Member

I got lucky and ended up with a really mellow powder blue. This is probably because he is the smallest tang in the tank. Contrary to most people's experiences, whenever a new fish is added or I walk up to the tank too fast he is the first fish to go into the rocks. I'm hoping he will get bolder with age. I've already had him for 6 months too.

Unread 12/11/2009, 08:12 AM   #77
THP
Registered Member

Well, my pbt is doing fine now and the spots seem to have disapeared. He is eating well however I can't seem to get him to eat any vegi food. He seems to prefer Omega1 flakes.

I tried soaking a sheet of nori in garlic extract and placing in the tank with a vegi clip but he never touches it. I then tried breaking up the nori and mixing with Omega1 flakes. He ate a few but soon realized the difference and selectivly picked the Omega1 flakes.

Will this be a problem? He is a herbivor so I'm concerned that he is not getting enough vegitation to eat. What else could I try? I tried a spirulina flake (I think it's Omega2 but not sure) and he has 0 interest in that.

Current Tank Info: 180g AG, OM4 way CL on Dart pump, BlueLine main, 50-60g sump, MT skimmer w/2 Sedra circulation pumps, 3x400w 12k Reeflux bulbs/CoralVue elec. ballasts in Luminarc III reflectors.
THP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2009, 09:16 AM   #78
jjstecchino
Registered Member

I would not be so concerned at this point on what he eats. If he likes flakes so be it as far as he is eating. As he will get more established he is likely to sample different foods, especially if you have other tangs eating nori at some point he will not want to be left out and he'll eat that too.
They have a mind of their own and sometimes they like to do different from what WE think is best.

Click on my username and 'Visit jjstecchino's homepage!" to view my 180 gallon reef build thread.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon Reef in Infancy
jjstecchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2009, 09:19 AM   #79
THP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstecchino View Post
I would not be so concerned at this point on what he eats. If he likes flakes so be it as far as he is eating. As he will get more established he is likely to sample different foods, especially if you have other tangs eating nori at some point he will not want to be left out and he'll eat that too.
They have a mind of their own and sometimes they like to do different from what WE think is best.
Well, that puts my mind at ease to some extent. I don't have any other tangs and don't plan on putting any others in.

What other tasty options are there out there that you would recommend as a food for a PBT. Aside from Nori, Omega1/2 flake? Maybe I can try different things and find some other food he'll take.

Current Tank Info: 180g AG, OM4 way CL on Dart pump, BlueLine main, 50-60g sump, MT skimmer w/2 Sedra circulation pumps, 3x400w 12k Reeflux bulbs/CoralVue elec. ballasts in Luminarc III reflectors.
Unread 12/11/2009, 09:25 AM   #80
jjstecchino
Registered Member

Mine eats everything you throw at him. Flake food, Frozen food, nori, grass from rocks, he even scrape the tank glass for pods. He has been in the tank for 4 months now. At the beginning he was a shy eater, now he sees the other fish and does not want to miss out on anything. I think he learned from the 6 line wrasse how to hunt for pods.

As frozen food goes I use different types that I rotate every day: Blood Worms, Spirulina loaded Brine Shrimp, Mysid shrimps, cyclop-eeze frozen squid, chopped clams, chopped shrimp.

Click on my username and 'Visit jjstecchino's homepage!" to view my 180 gallon reef build thread.

Unread 12/11/2009, 09:28 AM   #81
THP
Registered Member

Quote:
Mine eats everything you throw at him. Flake food, Frozen food, nori, grass from rocks, he even scrape the tank glass for pods. He has been in the tank for 4 months now. At the beginning he was a shy eater, now he sees the other fish and does not want to miss out on anything. I think he learned from the 6 line wrasse how to hunt for pods.
Interesting how he learnt from the six-line. I have a six-line as well and he is a bit of a crap disturber meaning he does not stand down from the school of green chromis. I noticed him trying to pull that off with the PBT and the PBT is one heck of an aggressive fish. He not only shows the six-line who's boss but chases him around for 10 minutes afterwards as though to show the six-line "you don't want to mess with me"

So far the school of chromis and the six-line are working well with the PBT asside from the odd time as mentioned where Mr. PBT has to remind everyone that he is the new king!

Unread 12/11/2009, 09:33 AM   #82
jjstecchino
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THP View Post
Interesting how he learnt from the six-line. I have a six-line as well and he is a bit of a crap disturber meaning he does not stand down from the school of green chromis. I noticed him trying to pull that off with the PBT and the PBT is one heck of an aggressive fish. He not only shows the six-line who's boss but chases him around for 10 minutes afterwards as though to show the six-line "you don't want to mess with me"

So far the school of chromis and the six-line are working well with the PBT asside from the odd time as mentioned where Mr. PBT has to remind everyone that he is the new king!
I have also a 4 year old yellow tang who is bigger than the PBT and he is the real dominant fish (eat always first from the nori clip). The PBT is second in line for the time being but he hangs around a lot with the 6 line wrasse.

Unread 12/11/2009, 09:41 AM   #83
THP
Registered Member

Quote:
I have also a 4 year old yellow tang who is bigger than the PBT and he is the real dominant fish (eat always first from the nori clip). The PBT is second in line for the time being but he hangs around a lot with the 6 line wrasse.

Interesting. Lucky your yellow is not bothering the PBT. I tried this years ago in a previous tank. The yellow tang had been in the tank for a few years then I added a similar sized PBT. I figured the PBT would be way more aggressive but the yellow ALWAYS chased him away from the Nori clips. I say clipS because I started using 2 in hopes that they would each get one. The PBT died after about a year from starvation. He slowly wasted away because the yellow constantly harrased him. I love yellow tangs but this is why with my new 180 I'm going to resist adding any tangs, angels or butterflies. Mr. PBT will be the only larger fish in the tank.

I also noticed in several LFS that tanks that had both PBTs and yellows usually showed that the yellows were more dominant and far more aggressive.

Unread 12/11/2009, 09:54 AM   #84
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

Quote:
Well, my pbt is doing fine now and the spots seem to have disapeared. He is eating well however I can't seem to get him to eat any vegi food. He seems to prefer Omega1 flakes.

I tried soaking a sheet of nori in garlic extract and placing in the tank with a vegi clip but he never touches it. I then tried breaking up the nori and mixing with Omega1 flakes. He ate a few but soon realized the difference and selectivly picked the Omega1 flakes.

Will this be a problem? He is a herbivor so I'm concerned that he is not getting enough vegitation to eat. What else could I try? I tried a spirulina flake (I think it's Omega2 but not sure) and he has 0 interest in that.

I dont have and have never kept a PBT....
However, I do have an Indo Pacific Regal Angel which initially would only eat mysis shrimp, and has since moved onto just about any frozen food, pellets, flake, shrimp & scallop from my hands, and Nori. The Nori is the biggest surprise to me since for the first year I had it, it wanted nothing to do with it. I can only surmise that the other fish in the tank "taught" it that Nori was food. Give your PBT time, I think it will start taking other food once it hits its stride. I noticed with my Regal that took right about a year...i would think that an Acanthurus tang would not take nearly so long.

Nick

Unread 12/11/2009, 10:58 AM   #85
jjstecchino
Registered Member

Quote:
Interesting. Lucky your yellow is not bothering the PBT. I tried this years ago in a previous tank. The yellow tang had been in the tank for a few years then I added a similar sized PBT. I figured the PBT would be way more aggressive but the yellow ALWAYS chased him away from the Nori clips. I say clipS because I started using 2 in hopes that they would each get one. The PBT died after about a year from starvation. He slowly wasted away because the yellow constantly harrased him. I love yellow tangs but this is why with my new 180 I'm going to resist adding any tangs, angels or butterflies. Mr. PBT will be the only larger fish in the tank.

I also noticed in several LFS that tanks that had both PBTs and yellows usually showed that the yellows were more dominant and far more aggressive.
What is interesting that the Yellow is dominant toward the PBT, however he is very mellow toward any other fish. He does not seems to be very territorial, however he always keep the PBT in his place.
The PBT on the other hand is extremely territorial, he accepted the existing fish with no problem but pretty much harassed all the fish I introduced last week.

He has now accepted the blond naso who became part of the band of tangs. The naso is about 6", the PBT about 4" and the YT about 5".

The PBT harassed but now semi-accepted the 2 fire fish. I say semi accepted because he let them swim and feed but if the firefish start swimming around too comfortably he still go and chase them around.

He is OK with the new scooter blenny. never bothered and with the royal grammas.

On the other hand he cannot stand the Scott's wrasse. I tried again to introduce this fish on the DT and the PBT almost killed him again.

I bought This Device to try to place the wrasse in the DT in a protected way. If this does not work I am going to try to trap the PBT and remove him from the display for a while.

Unread 12/11/2009, 04:20 PM   #86
blennielove
Registered Member

Hi Claudio,
I am currently treating all my fishes in a 55 gallon hospital tank with Quinine Sulphate and leaving my tank fallow for 6 weeks before re-introduction of my remaining fishes (PBT, Atlantic Blue Tang, Flame Angel, Clown Fairy Wrasse, Lubbock's Wrasse, and Cleaner Wrasse). You are one of the few people at RC who treats with QS! I'm glad that you are here because I've been posting on the "fish disease" side and have received some, how do I say... Anyways, what I wanted to ask you is:
1. How do YOU do your quarantine and for how long?
I was thinking of replacing my Kole tang upon re-introduction back to the DT and I'm planning that out but not sure if I should treat during quarantine or wait to see disease.
2. In your experience, how do you dose your QS and for how long do you treat? How long do you treat in QT?
I'm doing the 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallon, water changes almost daily to rid ammonia as I did not have a seeded HT, and I'm planning on going for a full 10 days. I'm contemplating going for 14 but that may be over kill.
3. I already have a PBT and ABT, plan on adding KT, what do you think about an Achilles Tang in addition? Or am I pushing it too far? It's a 225 gallon reef tank.
Thanks!

blennielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2009, 09:23 PM   #87
jjstecchino
Registered Member

Hi blennielove

I am going to respond on your thread on fish disease so that we keep the PBT on topic.

Unread 12/14/2009, 11:32 AM   #88
John&Steph
Registered Member

Just thought I would share a pic of mine.

John&Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2009, 11:35 AM   #89
THP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Steph View Post
Just thought I would share a pic of mine.

Nice specimen!!!!! How long have you had it and what are you feeding if you don't mind me asking?

Unread 12/14/2009, 11:57 AM   #90
John&Steph
Registered Member

I have had it a year.

I get a blend of food from my LFS I am not even sure what all he blends in there shrimp, clam and all the essential vitamins he feels are needed. My PB also will only eat green algae.

John&Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2009, 01:43 PM   #91
Magga Pie
Registered Member

Did anyone ever have one with like bumps almost like pimples like? In the morning when the lights come on mine has them, then in the afternoon i dont see them anymore its strange.

Magga Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2009, 07:27 PM   #92
jjstecchino
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magga Pie View Post
Did anyone ever have one with like bumps almost like pimples like? In the morning when the lights come on mine has them, then in the afternoon i dont see them anymore its strange.
I have seen what you describe on my PBT. These pimples may look like ich but they are not white. I don't know what they are. The fish does fine, does not scratch or seems to be on any distress. These things are very short lived, gone in a few hours. I am not sure it is a disease. I have seen them after the PBT fought with the Scott's Wrasse.

Unread 12/15/2009, 01:21 AM   #93
emilio c
Registered Member

I thought I would share some quick cell phone pic's of my pair of Powder Blue Tangs. I have had them for some time.

emilio c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2009, 01:10 PM   #94
salty joe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio c View Post
I thought I would share some quick cell phone pic's of my pair of Powder Blue Tangs. I have had them for some time.
]
Do your PBTs hang together or do they both do their own thing mostly ignoring each other?

Gorgeous fish you have!

Unread 12/15/2009, 01:20 PM   #95
OSTguy
Registered Member

I just searched and read where others claimed this wasn't going to work. It is nice to see that it has and can.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1692724

Unread 12/15/2009, 03:14 PM   #96
OG GHOST
Moved On

Quote:

You got by far the best Rock Structure I've seen in a long time what size is your tank, I love the PBT's I got one myself about 6" at a 1yr old I got him at about 2" had a Purple Tank but he loved the taste of my acans so I had to get him out. How many tangs do you got sweet school of Yellow Tangs. Tank is Beautiful keep up the good work!

OG GHOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2009, 08:07 PM   #97
jjstecchino
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi Emilio, I am amazed to see so many tangs living peacefully toghether. What is your secret to keep the PBT from harassing the other fish?

I am having a lot of trouble introducing a Scott's Wrasse on my DT because of the PBT aggression.

Unread 12/17/2009, 06:04 AM   #98
emilio c
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi Emilio, I am amazed to see so many tangs living peacefully toghether. What is your secret to keep the PBT from harassing the other fish?
Well, I would have to say Tank size for starters, aquascaping, diet and water quality. My tangs are feed at min 4 times a day and almost every time I walk by the tank. I feed (PE Mysis) as a treat but mainly all alge sheets and flakes. Both PB apear to be mated they share a hole at night, swim close to eachother and if one loses sight of the other one the PB will swim all over the place to find the missing buddy. I took the larger one out to see what would happen and the smaller one would pace all over the tank and then lay on its side as if it was dead. I placed the PB back in the tank they circled eachother for atleast 5 min and all was normal. I have had them for sometime with no agression with the other tangs at all, but I do feel that the diet, tank size have a part in that. My tank is a 300gal marineland DD, http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1749739 and this spring I will be upgrading to a 1000gal tank for my tangs.

emilio c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2009, 06:40 PM   #99
WuHT
Registered Member

you seperated them just to see how they'd react ? hmm interesting approach.

WuHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2009, 08:20 PM   #100
sanchoy
Registered Member

After the separation, did they ever break out in ick due to missing love.

sanchoy is offline   Reply With Quote