Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/23/2009, 03:47 PM   #1
00nothing
Registered Member

trumpet fish anyone ever owned one

Being a fan of all fish oddball i jsut aquired a eating very well 10-11 inch trumpet fish I am able to find some basic info on care but am wondering if anyone has kept one long term and what your success failure was with them

00nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2009, 05:01 PM   #2
00nothing
Registered Member

Managed to get a few decent pics of him and added the dwarf lion I picked up yesterday as well just cause

I had 2 mollies in the tank that had been there with my zebra moray for over 2 weeks once these 2 went in the mollies lasted 10 seconds lol

Unread 07/23/2009, 05:21 PM   #3
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

your fish is about half grown at 10". in the wild, they feed almost exclusively on small fish by sucking them into their mouths. they're actually distantly related to SH.

i've never kept one, but have seen them in the wild several times.

Current Tank Info: too many to describe, but i think the count is up to "lucky 13"!
namxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2009, 07:38 AM   #4
Deacon
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by namxas
they're actually distantly related to SH.
Forgive my lack of knowledge but what's "SH"? Sea horses, maybe?

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon and 65 gallon
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2009, 10:05 AM   #5
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

yeppers...SH = seahorse

that fish will be really great in the 300 gal...(i saw your post on _ _ _ _)

actually, my wife is Cranberry over there...

Current Tank Info: too many to describe, but i think the count is up to "lucky 13"!
Unread 07/24/2009, 02:14 PM   #6
rusty-spoons
Registered Member

Sorry i cant help, but i had to say that fish is sweet!! The zebra is very nice as well.

rusty-spoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2009, 02:58 PM   #7
00nothing
Registered Member

thanks namxas I am going to be picking up supplies to start building the 300 this weekend going to do a plywood 96x30x24 give him lots of room to grow. Having been diving with these guys do u notice a huge color diffrence between the adults and juvi's ? Most pictures show some yellow on the wild fish right now he is a bluish grey but when the light hits him right u see vibrant red streaks running down his sides

I am debating tank mates right now obviously the zebra moray and lion but am trying to think what else might compliment him. Its kind of weird to say but i want a slightly peaceful pred tank. I have a supplier trying to find me a pair of coral cat sharks right now.

Any suggestions will be appreciated

Unread 07/24/2009, 04:52 PM   #8
The Fish Finder
Registered Member

Have you been able to get him to eat yet? I have had a few over the years but never had much luck getting them off of live foods.

The Fish Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2009, 04:54 PM   #9
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

any of the planktonic-feeding triggers (genus Xanthicthys) should be a good choice...they usually mind their own business.

you have an Atlantic trumpetfish, and as far as i know, they do not change color with age like the Chinese trumpetfish (AKA yellow trumpetfish).

Unread 07/24/2009, 05:14 PM   #10
00nothing
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Fish Finder
Have you been able to get him to eat yet? I have had a few over the years but never had much luck getting them off of live foods.
Dude long time no talk you still got me on msn ?

Yeah literally he went from drip to tank and ate a molly less than 30 seconds after hitting the water

Unread 07/24/2009, 05:43 PM   #11
The Fish Finder
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 00nothing
Dude long time no talk you still got me on msn ?

Yeah literally he went from drip to tank and ate a molly less than 30 seconds after hitting the water
Yea it's been a long time. Yes i still have it. Im on it right now. Just hit me up.

The Fish Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2009, 12:37 PM   #12
erdikler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by namxas
yeppers...SH = seahorse

that fish will be really great in the 300 gal...(i saw your post on _ _ _ _)

actually, my wife is Cranberry over there...
Hi there,

I saw these naughty guys a lot when i was diving in Sipadan. In the night they would come to the lights of the jetty to catch some small fish and made splashes all night long. I don't think they are related to seahorses though, they are a totally different family of fish.

erdikler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2009, 12:50 PM   #13
00nothing
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by erdikler
Hi there,

I saw these naughty guys a lot when i was diving in Sipadan. In the night they would come to the lights of the jetty to catch some small fish and made splashes all night long. I don't think they are related to seahorses though, they are a totally different family of fish.
Watching them you see a lot of SH/pipefish type behaviour but if they are related these are the ted bundy of the SH world

Did come across one problem last night hes a pig grabbing food so fast my dwarf lion isnt getting a chance to eat 6 rosies went in the lion got one and as he would be swimming to the next the trump would snag it. A larger food source i think will slow him down and with how eager to eat he is i am thinking a floating frozen food such as silversides or shrimp may get his attention (I hope)

Unread 07/25/2009, 01:30 PM   #14
AquaKnight
Registered Member

Seahorses and trumpetfish are indeed related, they share the same Order, Syngnathiformes.

Not sure about where you hear they max @ 20", but Aulostomus maculatus, your trumpet, maxes out at double that, 40".

AquaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2009, 02:04 PM   #15
00nothing
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AquaKnight407
Seahorses and trumpetfish are indeed related, they share the same Order, Syngnathiformes.

Not sure about where you hear they max @ 20", but Aulostomus maculatus, your trumpet, maxes out at double that, 40".
Aqua thanks for the info but where are u getting the 40 inches info from not doubting what you are saying jsut seems to be so little info on these guys

The tank I am building will be 30 inches wide so hopefully enough to accomodate this guy I would go wider if i could but am limited by where the tank is going

Unread 07/25/2009, 02:42 PM   #16
AquaKnight
Registered Member

http://www.fishbase.org/identificati...=253&areacode=

Your's is the center one.

As far as what size your trumpet in particular will obtain, that would be a different story (and a very debatable one! ). If I had to guess, I would be surprised if he grew much over 25".

AquaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2009, 03:21 PM   #17
erdikler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AquaKnight407

you'r right!!

sorry, my bad

erdikler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2009, 03:35 PM   #18
00nothing
Registered Member

thanks for the link well hopefully I can keep this oddity long term cause they are truly an impressive fish bit of a freak of nature but impressive none the less

Unread 07/25/2009, 07:25 PM   #19
JHemdal
Moved On

OOnothing,

One of my aquarists has had great luck in getting trumptfish switched over to prepared food. The basic technique is this:

Get the fish feeding well on live guppies - but don't wait too long at this stage - perhaps a week.

Next, fresh kill some guppies and get it feeding on those. Slap them into the water to get it interested.

Then freeze some killed guppies and transfer the fish over to feeding on them (this is a big deal - frozen fish must SMELL different or something).

Keep feeding it frozen guppies, then get the trumpetfish converted to feeding on frozen guppies with their heads cut off (predators often fixate on the eyes of their prey).

Once the trumpet is feeding well on the bodies of dead frozen guppies with their heads cut off, start introducing guppy-sized slices of other fish flesh, like smelt. When that is working well, you can pretty much toss anything in and the trumpet will eat it, krill, mysids, etc.

Jay

JHemdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2009, 08:22 PM   #20
predator 1
Registered Member

It is good to see such wonderful fish in captivity. Unless I am mistaken, the Trumpet fish is a close relative of the Cornet fish. The later being one of the few predators of the Volitan lion. They attack the Volitan somehow from behind, consuming them whole.

predator 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2009, 09:00 PM   #21
nanafish
Premium Member

I had a Trumpet not to long ago. I needed to re-home him as I FOOLISHLY purchased him on a whim. Then I started to read up on them and this poor chap was not a wise choice for my 125. He was very personable- I had taught him to eat from a small net. I was just starting to get him to eat frozen mysis. What I did was add the guppies in the vat of mysis & other flavorings. then when I would feed everybody he took some of the mysis along with his 'stick'. Unfortunately he passed on when I finally caught him. He was in a dedicated fish bucket - I didn't think he would go that quick as I had intended to leave to the LFS right after I caught him. But after getting the grandkids buckled up and assigned everybody a fish to hold- alas - it was too late. He reminded me much of the freshwater Oscars. He recognized me and my one granddaughter as we were his primary caregivers. He would swim to the top of the tank when we were spotted. Now all that is the same for the Fuzzy Dwarfs that reside in the tank as well. They all keep to themselves. Even @ dinner time. But as for the Trumpet Fish- They really do not have any place in home aquariums as they do acquire great lengths and not everybody that buys them is equipped to take the best care of them. So best of luck to you!

Current Tank Info: 60g Reef Snowflake Clowns, Gobies etc.
nanafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2009, 07:28 PM   #22
anbosu
Registered Member

I just saw a whole bunch of these diving last week, they are pretty cool fish. Good luck with keeping it alive!

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2009, 08:30 PM   #23
00nothing
Registered Member

This is definitly one fish you cant jsut feed when hes hungry cause his appetite is insatiable I could sit there and pour feeders into the tank all day and he would eat them all