Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09/01/2009, 09:21 PM   #1
jubjub
Registered Member

realistic anthias lifespan?

i had a trio of maldive lyretails,...keyword being had....one just died few days ago noticing she just kind of stopped eating....now i have a second one that just all of a sudden stopped eating as well.....kinda hit and miss when i see her.... i've had both for bout a year.....

so realistically whats the lifespan on anthias's?

Old 09/01/2009, 09:27 PM   #2
LobsterOfJustice
Overstocked and Underpaid

A lot more than a year.

Current Tank Info: 90g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2009, 09:31 PM   #3
minhvu
Registered Member

Anthias is prone to parasite and flesh eating diesease. Does yours have a cut on it?

minhvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2009, 10:00 PM   #4
AuroraDrvr
Registered Member

I've had our Female lyretail for 3.5 years and a male lyretail for 2.5 years. Both were fullsized when purchased. I'd expect Anthias to live for over 10 years.

Old 09/01/2009, 10:01 PM   #5
jubjub
Registered Member

dun think they she has a cut on her.....could how they were caught be a factor? cause they are maldive anthias's

Old 09/01/2009, 11:48 PM   #6
AuroraDrvr
Registered Member

Maldives is actually a reputable collection location. I haven't heard any reports of poor practices being used to collect there.

However, just based on the fact these are Anthias, collection shouldn't be an issue no matter where they are collected. Simply because of the way Anthias shoal and congregate together, they are easily caught with nets, and I have never heard of Anthias being juiced.

That said, even though they are Lyretais, their still anthias. Some adapt, some don't. Some are touchy, some you can throw against a wall and they'll live for 5 more years. Its luck of the draw. How often did you feed them?

Old 09/02/2009, 01:15 AM   #7
Big E
Registered Member

I couldn't keep mine alive past 5-6 years. I had Lyretails & Bartletts. I'd consider these the hardiest.

Once the more touchy species get past acclimation I don't see why they also wouldn't live this long given good feeding, maintenance & large enough tank.

I would like to hear of other experiences of those that have kept anthias longer & how they cared for them.

Old 09/02/2009, 05:45 AM   #8
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Originally posted by AuroraDrvr
I'd expect Anthias to live for over 10 years.
Is there literature or communications from, say, public aquaria on this? My lyretails are 3+ years now. If they live that long though, that'll be great!!

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

Current Tank Info: 150g reborn reef. 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 20g clarkii clown cube. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2009, 08:43 AM   #9
AuroraDrvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SDguy
Is there literature or communications from, say, public aquaria on this? My lyretails are 3+ years now. If they live that long though, that'll be great!!
None that I am aware of. It was more of an estimation based on a few different factors I've observed.

Old 09/02/2009, 09:22 AM   #10
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

I wonder if public aquaria track stuff like this on their smaller fish?

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

Current Tank Info: 150g reborn reef. 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 20g clarkii clown cube. 15g QT.
Old 09/02/2009, 10:23 AM   #11
jubjub
Registered Member

oh i feed them once a day some of sanjay's mix....hummmmmmm

Old 09/03/2009, 01:44 PM   #12
jubjub
Registered Member

the female just died this morning so in like 2-3days i've lost two anthias's but no other fish (non anthias) are having problems...... hummmmmm

and the 3rd one didnt eat at all last night either and i think he might be on his way out to...seriously im baffled at what happened and to only be effecting the anthias's

is there any possibility that they were spawning, and something threw them off because i heard some fish do not eat during spawning season?

Old 09/03/2009, 10:31 PM   #13
jubjub
Registered Member

well this sucks i finally lost the 3rd one.......all with in a week.....all other fish seem ok...

Old 09/03/2009, 10:55 PM   #14
LobsterOfJustice
Overstocked and Underpaid

Do they look/act normal before dying?

Current Tank Info: 90g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2009, 11:04 PM   #15
sedor
Registered Member

Something is definitely going on if you lost 3 in a week. That's either a serious coincidence, or something or someone is killing your fish.

Old 09/04/2009, 07:57 AM   #16
29reef
It's all about the flow

"I feed once a day"

That's a big issue with anthias, they should be fed several times a day. It's possible your fish have just slowly starved to death.

RIP-The Metal Halide- My SPS may never know such a great friend again.

Current Tank Info: 48x30x24 SPS Display, 36x24x20 LPS; All T5!
29reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2009, 08:28 AM   #17
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Otherwise healthy anthias take a very long time to actually starve to death. I'm thinking some sort of disease. IME internal parasites and bacterial infections are way more common that easily visible things like ich. Did you add any fish lately?

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

Old 09/04/2009, 11:29 AM   #18
jubjub
Registered Member

they all basically stopped eating it seemed like they were healthy here's a pic of the one that died just last night last...on saturday

im baffled but the parasite does sound like good possibility.

as far as feeding once a day i usually feed pretty heavy, and i've had the fish on feeding once a day for almost a year now with no problems.(even missed days here and there) i dont think they starved to death over the period of a 10-12months.....

Old 09/04/2009, 11:35 AM   #19
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Re: realistic anthias lifespan?

IME 2 -5 years max depending on species.

Several Anthias dying within a few days of one another indicates a problem and an unnatural lifespan.

Current Tank Info: 72x24x30 225 gallon reef aquarium called Junior's Reef. April '06 and July 2013 TOTM
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2009, 12:36 PM   #20
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

That fish looks healthy and not starved. I'd have to guess you intoduced some sort of pathogen.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

Old 09/04/2009, 01:50 PM   #21
jubjub
Registered Member

^^i cant garuntee it by anymeans picked up a zoa pack from a guy on the forums probably i'd guess week or 2 before hand....wander if he had something?

Old 09/04/2009, 02:02 PM   #22
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

It's always a possibility. I once introduced a parasite with a bunch of caulerpa :-/

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

Old 09/07/2009, 12:25 PM   #23
jubjub
Registered Member

well my clownfish picked up something to...definately parasite now..UGH....considering i dont have many fish left now......and i dun have a quarantine tank......

i think last time i pickup anything thats not local.....i havent changed anything in months, then picked up a zoa pack and blaam week or so later fish started to die.......this is depressing

Old 09/07/2009, 12:35 PM   #24
JHemdal
Moved On

Peter,
I'm at home right now and don't have access to my records, but we still have some squampinnis that I acquired in 1998 from the Red Sea, and we have a Bartletts that is probably six years old. These are maximums though, the rest of these groups have died during the interim. We keep records on all our fish, but we handle the small ones as groups, not individually I.D.'d - so it does get a bit difficult tracking them sometimes.

Jubjub,
It is relatively common for invertebrates to serve as a mechanical disease vectors - although I can't tell you what might be the cause in this case. It is common practice for dealers to keep certain delicate fish in with their inverts (pinnatus batfish, seahorses, etc.) If they have an active infection, the water and mucus you move along with any inverts from that tank can carry the disease over.

Jay

JHemdal is offline   Reply With Quote